PDA

View Full Version : Computer Screen Help

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey guys.

Well we got our computer from out grandma. Its a Dell Dimension 2350.

They also gave us the screen it came with. Its just a regular Dell flat-panel.

For some reason, the screen will work fine for a while, and then all of a sudden, it turns completely white. Usually if you hit it a couple times, it'll go back to normal.
Right now it won't go back at all, and is staying solid white, so im using our old screen right now.

I would really like to use the flat one again, so if anyone could help me or tell me how to fix it, that'd be great!

nick249420
02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
is the screen getting hot when it turns white...

feel the back of the screen if its getting hot take it apart and take a can of air n dust it out..you may also have bad connections

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by nick249420
is the screen getting hot when it turns white...

feel the back of the screen if its getting hot take it apart and take a can of air n dust it out..you may also have bad connections

It doesnt get hot at all.

It gets the normal warmness.

ill see if its possible to take it apart. I dont see any screws though:confused:

nick249420
02-01-2008, 09:39 AM
well ..
are there any air vents in the screen where you could spray it out with a can of air..id try that if you cant take it apart

what model is the screen

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Dell

Model # :E151FPb

There isnt an actual model name

There is little vents on the side, ill try blowing them out real quick

nick249420
02-01-2008, 09:47 AM
The E151FPb's seem to have a problem of this sort. After doing some research online I've found that the most common problem is a few dry solder joints on the large circuit board inside the monitor. There was also some talk of a connector suffering from heat creep that sound be connected better on the inside, but usually that would make the screen turn black if it were to become disconnected. The monitor can be opened by unscrewing all the screws on the back, there should be 6 screws you need to pull out before being able to open the case. After those, insert a thin, but strong piece of metal into the side and sort of twist/slide it along the side and it should pop open some clips and just work your way around the perimeter. After that it's just some simple and obvious screws to get to the circuit boards.

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by nick249420
The E151FPb's seem to have a problem of this sort. After doing some research online I've found that the most common problem is a few dry solder joints on the large circuit board inside the monitor. There was also some talk of a connector suffering from heat creep that sound be connected better on the inside, but usually that would make the screen turn black if it were to become disconnected. The monitor can be opened by unscrewing all the screws on the back, there should be 6 screws you need to pull out before being able to open the case. After those, insert a thin, but strong piece of metal into the side and sort of twist/slide it along the side and it should pop open some clips and just work your way around the perimeter. After that it's just some simple and obvious screws to get to the circuit boards.

thanks so much, i appreciate it!;)

nick249420
02-01-2008, 09:49 AM
no problem

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 10:01 AM
hey, i got the screws out, but the screen isnt splitting apart? do i keep prying around the outside?

I just dont wanna break anything,

<DRS>GPF
02-01-2008, 11:45 AM
if that was under a warranty, it isnt now..

did you look into the end of the DB15 connector, checking for a bent pin?

have you tried another monitor to be sure its not related to just the video card?

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by <DRS>GPF
if that was under a warranty, it isnt now..

did you look into the end of the DB15 connector, checking for a bent pin?

have you tried another monitor to be sure its not related to just the video card?

it DEFINITLY wasnt under warranty. This computer/screen isnt brand new. Its used from my grandma.

And its not a bent pin, i just checked.

And of course i tried a differeny moniter, lmao. How else would i use the internet if all i see is white.
Im using an old bulky rounded screen.

Im almost positive its the soldering inside like nick said. I looked it up also and alot of people have this problem.

Now i just cant get the screen apart.

I got all around it off, but the bottom seems connected to something, it wont come off so i can fix it.

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Ok guys, I'm having a similar problem. I have a Dell 17" flat panel I bought probably about 3 or 4 years ago. Been great, recently been acting up however. Now I turn the monitor on, green light comes on, monitor lights up, about 2-3 seconds later the screen goes black. I tried a different monitor and it works flawlessly, so not a problem with my computer. Any thoughts? Sounds like it could be what you described nick249420. I think tonight we may try and tear it apart. I hate electrical stuff, but my room-mate is an EE, and we do work at a custom electronics company making capacitor, resistors and filters. I shouldn't have a problem replacing any caps that may need it....

Toadz400
02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Should have bought a De....oh wait, never mind.

Hondamaster - did you make sure to get all the screws out? Try taking a flashlight and shining it where it's stuck to see what it's getting stuck on.

Hondamaster5505
02-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Should have bought a De....oh wait, never mind.

Hondamaster - did you make sure to get all the screws out? Try taking a flashlight and shining it where it's stuck to see what it's getting stuck on.

I got ALL the screws out.

Its towards the bottom, and on the back side of the screen, theres a lock symbol with a "K" in it, and a hole underneath it. It doesnt go anywhere though??:confused:

Im so baffled.

Flyin-Low
02-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
I got ALL the screws out.

Its towards the bottom, and on the back side of the screen, theres a lock symbol with a "K" in it, and a hole underneath it. It doesnt go anywhere though??:confused:

Im so baffled.

Hammer time..