View Full Version : Switching from White Bros. to Hmf.

flauge
01-31-2008, 11:12 PM
Im going to be getting an Hmf sport slip on soon and I was wondering if I would need to jet it a lil richer than where I got it now with my white bros e series slip on with 12 discs?
Im thinking maybe 1 or 2 sizes up. What do yall think???

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Why are slip-ons so sought after!:rolleyes:

Dish out a lil extra, and try to find a used whole system. For a little bit more $, its nice to have the full system. They make more power, and are better for if you ever decided to highly mod in the future.

Just my $.02

AtvMxRider
02-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Why are slip-ons so sought after!:rolleyes:

Because the 400ex header flows just as good as most aftermarket headers thats why:rolleyes:

XXXRACER165
02-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Because the 400ex header flows just as good as most aftermarket headers thats why:rolleyes:

Not for big bore apps. And actually the stock header doesn't flow very well because the runners are not right in length, so the header doesn't scavenge exhaust gases from the cylinder completely. Shorter runners help some but the DMC alien & Duncan Racing Fat Boy 4 headers are the best because the runners are so long that, when the exhaust pulses come out of the header there are so weak they do not effect each other. Thus scavenging almost everything out of the cylinder. Other headers that work well are HMF, White Brothers, FMF & Pro Circuit.

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Not for big bore apps. And actually the stock header doesn't flow very well because the runners are not right in length, so the header doesn't scavenge exhaust gases from the cylinder completely. Shorter runners help some but the DMC alien & Duncan Racing Fat Boy 4 headers are the best because the runners are so long that, when the exhaust pulses come out of the header there are so weak they do not effect each other. Thus scavenging almost everything out of the cylinder. Other headers that work well are HMF, White Brothers, FMF & Pro Circuit.

exactly, thank you.

NJ450rider
02-01-2008, 08:41 AM
You only need a full system for big bore race motors. Everything else a slipon is more than enough. Paying 200 to 300 more for a full system for .5 to 1 hp more is retarded and a waste of money if you plan on never building a big bore race motor. True that the runners on the stock headpipe arent the same lengths. theres only two brands where they fixed that flow problem. Not all the ones listed up above. The best headpipe for a 400ex is actually the dmc alien dual setup. its not made anymore though.

And too answer the question id go up a size on the pilot and main and run it. If anything itll be close or right on.

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
You only need a full system for big bore race motors. Everything else a slipon is more than enough. Paying 200 to 300 more for a full system for .5 to 1 hp more is retarded and a waste of money if you plan on never building a big bore race motor. True that the runners on the stock headpipe arent the same lengths. theres only two brands where they fixed that flow problem. Not all the ones listed up above. The best headpipe for a 400ex is actually the dmc alien dual setup. its not made anymore though.

And too answer the question id go up a size on the pilot and main and run it. If anything itll be close or right on.

Thats EXACTLY why i said used.

I think its completely a rip-off for the full system also.

Used full systems arent that expensive

NJ450rider
02-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah but how many people are gonna be sellin there HMF full system setup? LOL Its a great exhaust and worth keeping! haha

AtvMxRider
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165

Big bore yes but on a stock motor displacement the stock header works just fine with just a slip on and minor mods.

tar
02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Big bore yes but on a stock motor displacement the stock header works just fine with just a slip on and minor mods.

To tell you the truth I think stock headers work better on stock motors than an aftermarket header. Now on a big bore that's a different story.

And Hondamaster5505 dude you need to quit PMS'ing. In like every thread I see you reply you are cutting somone down.

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by tar
To tell you the truth I think stock headers work better on stock motors than an aftermarket header. Now on a big bore that's a different story.

And Hondamaster5505 dude you need to quit PMS'ing. In like every thread I see you reply you are cutting somone down.

What are you talking about?

Im alot nicer than some of these other people on here. I know people situations and know that I myself don't have money to build up my quad.

Theres a difference between putting someone down and telling them what you think would look nice on their bike. I never bash people on whether they have money to do things or not, or make jokes about their quad.
I only do things like that when they make a stupid decision, like those stupid exhaust tips.

And about the stock header, It MAY be better than some aftermarket, but not all.

AnDy7
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
what about the curtis sparks headers? is it worth getting those or stick with stock?

Hondamaster5505
02-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by AnDy7
what about the curtis sparks headers? is it worth getting those or stick with stock?

if i were to guess, the sparks header would be huge, so it'd just add alot of top-end most likely, and be designed for modded applications.

idk though, to telll you the truth.

zrpilot
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by AnDy7

Sparks makes one of the better exhausts, but it depends on your mods.

flauge
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Whoa, talk about going off topic.:eek: but I guess we got a good conversation out of it anyway.:cool: Thanks NJ450rider for answering the question, I was thinking the same thing.
About the full system... Im not going big bore, if anything the biggest I'll ever go is 416. Im not planning to build a max hp 440 anytime soon, just a reliable xc machine.
Just wondering, what do yall think about fmf's powerbomb? That would be my choice if I were to buy a header. I heard of a few people running them with the hmf slips with good results.