PDA

View Full Version : Predator Question

ride-to-live
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM
Would i get me a Predator? I have a 440ex mx ready quad and i want to trade for a Stock or racing Predator. Many people are telling me that the predator's are a bad quad, like the weight, gears, top heavy and just a bad quad.. so i really like them and i have moved out of MX to just fun in the trails.. jumping hills, mudding, hill climbing and just playing around. I also was looking into a Raptor 660? What are your decisions?

Bradracer18
01-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Both are good quads for the trails. The early preds had some issues(03 and 04)...but now they are great.

The rappy 700 would be a better choice....they are a little top heavy...but other than that, I think they both match up pretty well.

hein886
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I also have a 440ex and i just bought a 450 mrx today i havent ridden it yet, But i got to see one in action and boy did it spank the modded 450s.

predmxr05
02-01-2008, 07:11 AM
my best advice would be to go sit on both (pred, rappy700/660), maybe take both for a test drive and see which one u like better. it will be fairly easy to tell after u ride both. if u at all are going to mod after a filter/pipe combo the preds get pretty expensive. just as a warning. both perform very well on the trails though.

ride-to-live
02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
How fast and stuff are the stock preds?

predmxr05
02-01-2008, 03:23 PM
the pred is just as fast if not faster than the rappys on the trails and anything else. i would say there all alround the mid to high sixties to low seventies. there just not that track fast compared to the 450's. the shocks i would say are above and beyond the rappys, especially if u find a tld with the rezzies. so the ride is going to be a little more forgiving.

trailrunner77
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
the pred is a little heavy but is a solid machine, i've raced my 05 for three years in the iatvhss series. and have never had any problems. i would shop, and see what is best for you.

if you have any other pred questions let me know.

ride-to-live
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
are they good for bigger guys like like 6' and i weight like 235 or something? I raced the 440ex mx but im getting out of it and i might do alot of XC and trail riding. Also are the preds top heavy like the rappy's? And does the pred have reverse and stuff? Also any other advise, tip, would be appreciated.

RJP66F100
02-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Preds not top heavy to me at all & I've never heard anyone say that. My $.02 it is one of the best fits for tall guys. I'm about 6'1".

ride-to-live
02-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Wheres a good place to buy XC parts for a Pred?

Ogener
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
The 05 and up predators have reverse. and Rath racing has some good aftermarket stuff for preds as well.

Nickyboy
02-04-2008, 10:28 PM
The Pred is an all around great quad. Just sit on one.. The day I went to buy mine the guy also had a Raptor 660 bonestock forsale when i sat on it the stance sucked the Predator was wider and longer. All around better; more power and cornering ability were the 2 big pluses even though the 03 pred didnt have reverse i bought it instead of the rappy with rev.

BUT just remember theres most likely 5 times more sport quads sold by honda, suzuki, kawasaki, and yamaha so parts aren't as cheap and just a little harder to come by. Its still worth blowing by the guy on the rappy or even banshee and when you stop they go "what is that thing mann?!?!?!"

ride-to-live
02-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Heck yea.. I'm really looking into a pred because it seems to fit me.. i just need something to mud ride in, goes good in trails, playing around and hill climbing and stuff. I also heard that they have gearing problems and stuff like that?

Nickyboy
02-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Yeah the 03's gears are alittle too close together and it is hard to find neutral.....if you ride it enough you know your bike, if ya know what I mean. Im not sure about the 04 but I know by 05 all problems were fixed (probably the next quad I buy)As far as hill climbs I cant complain....... Hasnt let me down and the motor hasnt ever pulled down climbs with no trouble