View Full Version : ninja 250, katana 600, other 600s

Rider-trx_250ex
01-31-2008, 07:39 PM
I've been researching bikes for a while for summer and I've got some questions. How does the Suzuki Katana match up to other 600cc bikes? I don't care how fast it goes other stupid stuff because i'll never go that fast anyway. So I figured the ninja 250r for my first bike. It's a geat bike for the price, resell value, and engine size. People say that you may outgrow it but then you can resell it for what you bought it for. Is the katana 600 a good beginner bike? Is it like a watered down 600? How does it compare to say like the cbr600.

mineralgrey01gt
01-31-2008, 07:48 PM
you buying new or used? Id go look at the R6's if I was you. They are really nice bikes. The Katana 600 isnt all that bad, but not all that great either from what people have said about them. Ive heard that they break easily but then again, I never did have any experience with one.

pro-rider46
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
go with something like a cbr 600. my brother got his first motorcycle ever, and its a r6, and he wishes now he would have got a 1000, just take it easy and remember that the bike can be unexpectable when you gas it...my neighbor bought a ninja 250, and you might as well take a bicycle and strap a weed eater to it. but it will get you around, and has expectable power, and thats about all the advantages that i can think of or have been listed already.

p.s. the ladies will like the cbr a lot more...haha

Rider-trx_250ex
01-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
you buying new or used? Id go look at the R6's if I was you. They are really nice bikes. The Katana 600 isnt all that bad, but not all that great either from what people have said about them. Ive heard that they break easily but then again, I never did have any experience with one.

deff used, also looking to spend no more than 2,500 so like the high end 600s are probably out, I just want a good starter bike

underpowered
01-31-2008, 10:02 PM
a katana is a wussy 600 pretty much. they are nowhere near what a CBR or R6 would be, but still fun little bikes.

i have a bandit 600 (naked katana). it is my first bike, but i outgrew the power very quickly. i have owned it less than a year and am already sellin for a better bike.

i would say get a CBR or something. if you respect the power, they are good beginner bikes.

chris46250r
02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Rider-trx_250ex
I've been researching bikes for a while for summer and I've got some questions. How does the Suzuki Katana match up to other 600cc bikes? I don't care how fast it goes other stupid stuff because i'll never go that fast anyway. So I figured the ninja 250r for my first bike. It's a geat bike for the price, resell value, and engine size. People say that you may outgrow it but then you can resell it for what you bought it for. Is the katana 600 a good beginner bike? Is it like a watered down 600? How does it compare to say like the cbr600.

This question has never been successfull on here. Everyone will try to have you on a Busa for your first bike. I had a Ninja 250 one time because a friend of mine was going to let it get repoed so I went and paid it off and sold it. But I did ride it some and for getting around town and going to work it done its job. It would run 115 with my 180 lb arse on it. Dont get me wrong now, it wouldn't do it from light to light. Ive also had a GSXR 750 and a CBR 954. All three bikes had one thing in common, they would get you where you were going breaking the speed limit. So, get what you are comfortable on (mentally and physically) and/or what you can find in your price range. And yes a Katana 600 is watered down a little but a 4,5,6 year old one can be bought dirt cheap.

Regular_Joe
02-01-2008, 07:09 AM
The Katana is a watered down 600 of sorts. Overall the Katana should still really scoot.
- 600 engine from 15 yrs ago
- carbureted instead of fuel injected
- tuned for more low end torque
- bigger fairing for more wind protection
- more upright seating position for more comfort
- 100+ lbs heavier than a standard 600

The Ninja 250 is fun because of its lower power (compared to other bikes). Even with its lower power though, if you wring it out, it will go and overtake about any common car on the road. Its a great bike to learn good skills on and become a much better rider. If you take a corner at 50, and then wanna do it again at 55, its much easier to pull off on the Ninja. On a bigger bike that 55 might turn into 65 and get you into trouble. This can happen simply by a bump in the road causing you to turn the throttle just a tad more than you wanted to.

Regular_Joe
02-01-2008, 07:12 AM
Just to note. The new Ninja 250's this year have been made over. Same bike just updated plastics and rims that look like a real 600 or 100 supersport.

http://www.kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/Products/Preview/05537d07-52fd-46e8-8aa5-b6ddcaa596db.jpg

XXXRACER165
02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
I would go for a old "Giant Killer" those things rip on 600's

Rider-trx_250ex
02-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
The Katana is a watered down 600 of sorts. Overall the Katana should still really scoot.
- 600 engine from 15 yrs ago
- carbureted instead of fuel injected
- tuned for more low end torque
- bigger fairing for more wind protection
- more upright seating position for more comfort
- 100+ lbs heavier than a standard 600

The Ninja 250 is fun because of its lower power (compared to other bikes). Even with its lower power though, if you wring it out, it will go and overtake about any common car on the road. Its a great bike to learn good skills on and become a much better rider. If you take a corner at 50, and then wanna do it again at 55, its much easier to pull off on the Ninja. On a bigger bike that 55 might turn into 65 and get you into trouble. This can happen simply by a bump in the road causing you to turn the throttle just a tad more than you wanted to.

That's exactly the reason I was lookin at a ninja 250. Also since the katana is a watered down 600 is the main reason I was lookin at it too.

XXXRACER165
02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
I would go for a old "Giant Killer" those things rip on 600's

Which reminds me. Do any of you fine people know what bike the "Giant Killer is?? I do!

312R1
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
If your looking for a beginner bike go with either a ninja 250, 500 or something like a Katana.

WHAT EVER YOU DO...Don't start on a R6, 600RR, ZX6R or a GSXR600.

I have been riding on the street and track for along time and have seen way to many NEWBS get hurt or killed on bikes like the above or liter bikes.

My .02

-Steve

Regular_Joe
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
In all honesty when I had my Honda F4i it was cool at first but got old. The seating position, gearing, and lack of down low torque absolutely sucked in town. Anything under 40 sucked. It got old fast. In the end I sold it after a couple years and got an SV650 instead. Much more of a drivable bike. I have had the SV for about 5 yrs now and am still very happy with it.

FYI, a 600cc SS does about 65-70mph in first gear at redline. Every gear after that adds another 15-20 mph. A 1000cc SS does about 100mph in first gear at redline, and will power wheelie in 1st-3rd anywhere under 100mph. Overall a lot of power that is easily abused and easy to get into trouble with. Even my lowly SV gets up to 50mph in first gear at redline.

Rider-trx_250ex
02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by 312R1
If your looking for a beginner bike go with either a ninja 250, 500 or something like a Katana.

WHAT EVER YOU DO...Don't start on a R6, 600RR, ZX6R or a GSXR600.

I have been riding on the street and track for along time and have seen way to many NEWBS get hurt or killed on bikes like the above or liter bikes.

My .02

-Steve

What other 500s are there? i know the ninja 500 and the suzuki(can't remember the name)

312R1
02-01-2008, 05:38 PM
What other 500s are there? i know the ninja 500 and the suzuki(can't remember the name)

I think thats it...The Suzuki SV650 is also a great bike for beginners..just like the guy stated. Plus there also great on the track.;)

smitty_31
02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I really think the R6 is a good bike... i bought mine last year... and never rode before.. rode it for the first 2 weeks. with my permit and i took the riders test on it... and now im just now startin wheelies! :)

312R1
02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by smitty_31
and now im just now startin wheelies! :)

:rolleyes:

Let me guess on a public street?

jesseweaver
02-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I don't care how fast it goes other stupid stuff because i'll never go that fast anyway.

you THINK you'll never go that fast. believe me, if you have the ability to go 150 simply by turning your wrist a little bit, it's gonna eventually happen...as soon as you get comfortable on the bike.

XXXRACER165
02-02-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
you THINK you'll never go that fast. believe me, if you have the ability to go 150 simply by turning your wrist a little bit, it's gonna eventually happen...

Yep with all that power, ur bound to get into trouble sooner than later. In my hood, the cops sit in a spot with the windows down and as soon as they hear that distintive street bike sound wind up in first gear they trackem down. Because first gear on many bikes can get you up too 75mph, the cops hear that they know your speeding.