PDA

View Full Version : Help with computer

450rRacer22
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Well lately my laptop has been acting up. I have a gateway and MX6441 is the model. When i first got it i really liked it. I've never had any problems with it at all. Lately though when i shut it off and turn it on the next morning, i have to wait about 10 minutes for everything to load otherwise if i try to rush into opening something it will just go crazy and i wont get anywhere. Overall, the speed of the computer when im on the internet is pretty good, i really have no complaints. It would be faster when im browsing through like my computer or my documents or something. Last thing is, the fan is CONSTANTLY running. I dont know what could be causing this bcuz this has never happened either, it would only come on every now and then. Does the laptop just simply need to be cleaned out? Should i put a nother gb of memory in? Or is there just something simple i can do in my computer or something that will fix it? Im not the smartest when it comes to computers but im not new to them either. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

the Z Man
01-31-2008, 06:53 PM
Did you scan disc and defrag? This usually helps on start up, the fan would be from dirt, it uses a sensor and dirt build up would not let it run cool. Just my opinion. Z.

450rRacer22
01-31-2008, 07:05 PM
well i just took the bottom of the laptop off and looked at everything and to my surpise it was all very clean. the fan looked clean and everything but i blew it off and stuff to make sure. the fan isnt running anymore, so maybe i fixed that. but the start up was still the same which i didnt expect it to be any different anyways. i will try the defrag and scan disc. what drives do i want to do this to?

the Z Man
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Not sur eon the lap top, but try "C"

the Z Man
01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Not sur eon the lap top, but try "C" Scan first... then defrag.

450rRacer22
01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
what does defragmentor exactly do? im doing it right now and it says its moving a bunch of files like all my songs and stuff and im starting to get worried cuz i really dont wanan lose all my songs or something.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
defragmenting your hard drive removes unneccesary build up from things such as internet files and what not. It will speed up your computer a good bit.

450rRacer22
01-31-2008, 08:42 PM
well it was in the middle of defragmenting and only got to 40% and then it said it was complete and that some files could not be defragmented. how often do you guys suggest defragmenting and disk cleanup?

the Z Man
01-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I disc clean about once a week, defrag about a month or so.
Your computer uses pieces of information, and does not put it back to where it was, after awhile it takes longer to retrieve the same information, like a rubix cube... it mixes up.
Defragging put all the fragments back together... to put it simple.

my88r
01-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 450rRacer22
well it was in the middle of defragmenting and only got to 40% and then it said it was complete and that some files could not be defragmented. how often do you guys suggest defragmenting and disk cleanup?

i just did a defrag. mine stopped at 70%.:confused:

shadowwalker
02-01-2008, 01:07 AM
You might have some spy ware running in the background. This causes excessive CPU usage, and could also be the reason the fan is running. The more CPU usage, the more heat created. The fan runs on a temp. sensor, so if its hot it will run. Google Ad-Aware, download and run it. The home version is free. It will search the HD for spy ware and let you know. Then it gives you an option to remove it at the end of the scan. If you've never run a program like this, I wouldn't be surprised if it found 100's, or even 1000's of files. Most will be tracking cookies that simply track what websites you visit. Still good to get rid of them as they take up space.

wilkin250r
02-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Go to Gateway and check their forums.

I had a Dell with a similar problem. The fan was on constantly, and some applications were really slow. I had to re-flash the BIOS (Basic Input Output Structure).

It sounds complicated, but it wasn't. The instructions were really easy to follow, and the problem was solved when it was all done. I'm not saying that is exactly your problem, but the Forums on the manufacturer's website is usually a very good source for information and common problems.

MOFO
02-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
BIOS (Basic Input Output Structure).

Sorry to nit pick the details... :blah:

Basic Input Output System

450rRacer22
02-01-2008, 06:23 AM
I have a program called spysweeper that is constantly running. It seems to work pretty good and wouldnt spysweeper just be the same as the google adware or no? whenever i do a full sweep it only comes up with these cookie things that are supposedly harmful to my computer. it only finds 2 or 3 of those every time though and never makes a difference.

shadowwalker
02-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 450rRacer22
I have a program called spysweeper that is constantly running. It seems to work pretty good and wouldnt spysweeper just be the same as the google adware or no? whenever i do a full sweep it only comes up with these cookie things that are supposedly harmful to my computer. it only finds 2 or 3 of those every time though and never makes a difference.
Hm, as long as the definitions get updated on a regular basis it should be ok. It still sounds like you have things running in the background from start up though.

coryatver
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
you probably just have a lot of junk starting up at start up. If something comes up during startup just go into the setttings of that program and turn off the start when windows starts. Also go to the start button, go to Startup, and then remove everything in there.

also even if you can't see the dirt on there it is there. Use alchohol and wipe it off. you might also need to clean of the old and put new thermal paste on the processor

300exOH
02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Like everyone said above...remove any programs that are running at start-up run scandisk, defrag then run ad-aware and spybot search and destroy on your computer. Spybot will catch what ever ad-aware doesn't. You should run defrag about once a week or so to keep things running smoothly. Also you may try a program called Tweak XP. You can use it to customize windows and to help remove stuff that starts when you boot your pc. (many other goodies too) If you are still having problems check for a BIOS update as suggested.(wouldn't be a bad idea either way)

beaker1214
02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
do a ctrl-Alt-delete to bring up the task manager and then select processes tab, click where it says cpu and look and see what is using up the CPU. I would just about say that you have alot of programs starting up at startup and they prolly need to be gone though also...