PDA

View Full Version : What shocks are best for what? (not the question you think)

04TRX400EX
01-30-2008, 10:29 PM
As I said in the title, this is not the same question that's been asked a thousand different times in regards to which shocks are the best and so on.

What I am asking is what shocks are best for each type of condition/setup? It seems that some brands are only suited for MX, others are more popular on XC circuits, and others I don't know. And I realize that every shock can be valved for different terrains. So I'm curious, for each manufacturer, identify what they are best suited for. I'll start with my opinions ...

Elka - XC
Axis - MX
TCS - trail
PEP - MX
Motowoz - ??
Fox - MX
Ohlins - XC

Has anyone ever run XC PEP's or XC Fox's for example? I only ever see them on MX quads.

Also feel free to post a comment on your experience with different setups :)

z40021
01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Elka=XCP
PEP=MX
Axis=MX
Ohlins=XC
Fox=MX
Motowoz=MX
TCS=Weekend Warrier/Low Budget
Works=Weekend Warrier

400exrider707
01-31-2008, 07:08 AM
This is the answer...

Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
every shock can be valved for different terrains.

jandjracing
01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
I think the Motowoz would be the best choice based on how quick adjustments can be made without removing any part of the shock. The adjustments are quick and very noticeable. I have not heard of a Motowoz customer that was not totally happy.

04TRX400EX
01-31-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
This is the answer...

every shock can be valved for different terrains.

I understand that valving & spring rate/crossover is the answer to my question but I still wonder why I only ever see PEP's or Axis on MX tracks for example ... I was just wondering if MX is where the product engineers put all their time and effort leaving others riders (such as XC) with shocks that really aren't suited for their riding style. Why not more variety around the tracks and trails? Does everyone just follow what everyone else does?

400exrider707
01-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Does everyone just follow what everyone else does?

That is a lot of it. Some shock companies may not put their support into all forms of racing. I understand what you're asking, but when it comes down to it, any one of the shock manufacturers could build a shock to do anything, if they wanted to. I see a lot of AXIS setups for XC, but you're right not many PEP setups for XC. A lot of times an a-arm manufacturer will work in conjuction with a shock builder to get a good setup. Like the ARS-FX and AXIS setup for XC. From what I remember, Axis really never had a big following in XC until that happened, just somethign I noticed.

rideredxc
02-01-2008, 05:26 PM
McGill ran PEP shocks last year in th GNCC's. Stock revalves seem to be the most popular for XC though.