PDA

View Full Version : what all to get for the rebuild

quader400
01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
so im rebuilding my 04 450r engine, it needs all new bearings, im going to get a new crankshaft(i think im going with a hotrods +3mm stroker), new piston(not sure what piston to get let me know whats best?), and new timing chain. what should i get for bearings, is there any brands that are best? also new gaskets and such. where can i get this stuff the cheapest thanks for any help

FoxMxRiders
01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
For the bearings and gasket,I would get OEM !!!

For the piston,of you want more compression,JE or CP.If not,OEM piston are really good to me.

bloodmoney23
01-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Bearings use stock. gaskets use stock. others die way too fast. now if you are going to be doing all of that work just send it in to chad. I talked to him on the phone and he will work with ya and send you multiple quotes to get you where ya wanna be. in a couple months im sending my motor in to chad and when i get it back ill have a reliable 60-70HP powerplant. check out his site and give him a call. If anything he will at least tell you what would be good to get and work well together if you are doing work yourself. his site is www.chad502ex.com

400exrider707
01-31-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd use all OEM gaskets, bearings and seals, as well as an OEM crank. The only way to get the updated collar is to order it from Honda with the crank, unless you have access to a machine shop to make your own. The updated crank, one bearing, rod, and the new collar/seal is around $195. As far as piston, depends what you want. How high compression do you want? I run JE's myself and am happy, I have also run Wiseco before with good results.

www.servicehonda.com is the cheapest for OEM honda parts

smithn1683
01-31-2008, 12:23 PM
rumor has it they have done away with the collar and now the just inlarged that part of the crank to match the size of the collar.

400exrider707
01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by smithn1683
rumor has it they have done away with the collar and now the just inlarged that part of the crank to match the size of the collar.

This is the first I've heard of this. That doesn't make sense? Isn't the bearing pressed on, then the collar over that, to eliminate crank bearing wobble? How would you get the bearing on if the outer part of the crank is bigger than the I.D. of the bearing? Maybe I'm thinking wrong here, but I'm almost positive that's how it goes. Any other info on this other than a "rumor"???