PDA

View Full Version : Carpenter i got some questions

TRX-330
01-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Ok well im going to be going to a technical school next year and im going to atend a carpentry class and was wondering all what brands to look into to buy stuff for.

05Z400rdr
01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Stanley, Dewalt, and Bostich are my main preferences. :)

Landon

TRX-330
01-30-2008, 02:30 PM
ok i mean im sure my dad knows what will be the best for me since he has been a carpenter for a long time, since iv been a little kid haha

05Z400rdr
01-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Haha yeah, same here; my dad and three of his brother's have a construction business. I've been working for him in the summers and any other days off school since I was like 8.

TRX-330
01-30-2008, 02:44 PM
ya my dad used to have his own construction company too n i used to go out with him all the time. He said he can prolly get me hooked up with someone that works for the company he works for.

mittman
01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
dewalt is the best imo, i have aways been told dewalt is glorified black and decker, those are the only two i buy

nickmelll
01-30-2008, 05:41 PM
ryobi (sp?) seams pretty good

<DRS>GPF
01-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Makita and Bosch if im in a money spending mood and i need it to last..(which doesnt happen too often)

for hand tools, you cant go wrong with any of the big names.. snap-on, craftsman, kline, etc.

300EX_HMF
01-30-2008, 06:09 PM
You should look into a new company called HILTI there pretty sweet and they have lifetime warrantys on most of there power tools! in my area they have a guy drive around in a van full of supplies and will also drive to your worksite if u need parts or if anything breaks! thats just depending on ur area

www.hilti.com

jesseweaver
01-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by nickmelll
ryobi (sp?) seams pretty good

i dont like them at all.

i do a lot of flooring, not much building houses and stuff, but i like dewalt and stanley. especially dewalt.

Bradracer18
01-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Rigid and Dewalt are good brands. Rigid I think are better drills, but heavier. I have a Rigid worm drive saw, that is great!! Only one I would buy.

I also have a Rigid air compressor, works great!!!

As for nail guns, for a framer, the pasload guns are pretty much the best in my opinion. I have a Dewalt, but its not as consistent as that pasload.

If you get air hoses, get some of the heavy duty ones for lead hoses....then buy the flexx hoses for actually working hoses...They are much much lighter.

Buy a good tool belt, I prefer a good "nylon" one, but other guys like the expensive leather ones(which sag in the heat). Also, if you will be wearing it a lot, get suspenders. Dewalt makes a good "air ride system".

Stanley and Irwin hand tools are great, use them! Get a good wooden handled hammer. Get a good, sharp cats paw too.

Buy Stanley tape measures(fat max), if doing framing. They have warranty, and work great for stretching out.

Waddell
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I like Hatachi's tools they seem to be made as good or better than some of the other brands.

my88r
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
i like you craftsman tools.:D

ZeroLogic
01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Waddell
I like Hatachi's tools they seem to be made as good or better than some of the other brands.

Gah, one of the worst products in my opinion. Bostitch for nail guns, Delta makes good woodshop tools. Dewalt makes killer reciprocating saws and drills. Bosch and Dewalt makes good cirular saws.

sideways
01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
hitachi makes the best frame gun out. all metal construction, not one peice of plastic on it, could use it aas a sledge and it'll still fire faster and harder than a bostich or a pasload.

hitachi also makes a great sliding compound miter saw. i like the dewalts, but prefer the hitachi

circular saws are tough to choose from one brand to the next. im a big fan of the makita. nice and light, plenty of power.

sawzalls are beat to hell on every job. milwakee makes a nice one, but lacks guards where the blade is. crushed my finger 3 or 4 times in there. the dewalts are the best sawzalls if you ask me.

still looking fr a good quality table saw. i am still using the one i bought 10 years ago. they dont make em like they used to.

compressors i would go with a rolair, or perhaps the rigid dual tank. hausfield makes a nice one too

hand tools are you get what you pay for. dont buy cheap if you want to keep them for a while, or if you know your gonna break em, buy craftsman. lifetime gartuntee, cant beat it. i use a craftsmann 23 oz waffle head framer (which they dont make anymore) great hammer, like swinging a sledge sometimes. catspaw is a must along with a good flat bar.

good luck with whatever you purchase!! this is just my 2c

ZeroLogic
01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by sideways
hitachi makes the best frame gun out. all metal construction, not one peice of plastic on it, could use it aas a sledge and it'll still fire faster and harder than a bostich or a pasload.

Really? I did not know they made guns. Everything now is plastic. My boss has an old Bostich thats all metal and its still shootin but not really driving the nails into the treated and lvls to well.:scary:

Bradracer18
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
No they make two different guns....they make good ones, and then some light weight ones....that are plastic and not really that good. They are sure light, but kick back, and jam and break