PDA

View Full Version : Legal in Virginia?

AtvRider02
11-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Ive heard that if you have a dirtbike with a motor less that 50cc then its legal to ride on the road without a license. Is it true?

I heard that Virginia is like Kentucky, and you can ride on pavement for so far to a trail. Is this true?

Can you make a quad street legal in Virginia? Im guessing you cant, but is it true?

AtvMxRider
11-15-2002, 10:04 PM
As far as I know the answer is no. I know around here if a cop catches you on the road it's you *****.

jello
11-16-2002, 01:33 AM
pretty sure the answer is NO about the dirtbike. But call the dmv to be sure. Most likely you can make your quad street legal there because you can in a lot of states. I remember in a issue of DW that some guy made his 250r street legal in virginia or somewhere close to there. Call your dmv to see what is required to do to make it street legal.

AtvRider02
11-16-2002, 11:53 AM
thanks. Ill have to call the dmv, Id say they wont even know. lol.

Ryan
11-16-2002, 12:27 PM
Im pretty sure you can make it street legal because I have seen alot of people in magazines do that. It looks like a good ideah just cops might pull you over, not knowing its legal. It seems like a good project though!

derekhonda
11-16-2002, 12:36 PM
actually i dont kn ow why a 50 cc dirtbike couldnt be ridden on the road. Mopeds are 50 cc and thats why you are allowed to ride, i think the law is no bigger than 50 cc. Check though

AtvRider02
11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Ill have to check up on it. I dont have a quad or my license yet though. I will be getting a quad ATLEAST by Spring. Does anyone know a person with a street legal quad? If so, ask them what kinda license do you have to have. Motorcycle license or Car license? When I get older, I wanna ride a quad to school. LOL Thanks.

Thats what I heard, derekhonda. Thats why I asked. Since I dont have my license, It would be better than walking! I have a 1978 Honda 50. The motor is 49cc's. It needs some work though. I need to call and find out.

4punksdad
11-16-2002, 05:49 PM
that law is for mopeds.............
the law is that you can ride them without a motorcycle license if they are under 50cc..............