PDA

View Full Version : Hot Cam or Web Cams

shockwave95
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
It is time to drop in a cam and I am looking at buying web cams stage 1 or a hot cam stage 2. My dealer told me the web cam would be better. Is that true? What are your preferences? I ride trail, some XC and sand pit.

casey_lamm
01-29-2008, 07:39 PM
hot cam stage 1 just went in mine, i like it alot. I have never riden anything with a web cam so cant comment there.

Originally posted by shockwave95
It is time to drop in a cam and I am looking at buying web cams stage 1 or a hot cam stage 2. My dealer told me the web cam would be better. Is that true? What are your preferences? I ride trail, some XC and sand pit.

01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
web cam you need hardened rockers if i'm not mistaken. Hotcam for sure I rather have

400sEXridr
01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
the web cam is not a true "drop in" cam, as hardwelded rockers are required and possibly stiffer valve springs?(not sure on the second one). I went with the hotcam stage 2 along with an 11:1 406 piston. They really complement each other well cause the cam gives great power on top while the piston pulls from the bottom. i like this setup for trails cause it lets me rev out really high for climbing hills and stuff like that, while it still pulls hard out of corners and can be lugged a gear high without a problem. Ive never ridden a stage 1 but i guess it would just depend on your riding style

drew416ex
01-30-2008, 10:40 AM
If you dont plan on getting a higher compression piston, hardened rockers and HD springs, then you dont what the web cam.

TRXRacer1
02-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
If you dont plan on getting a higher compression piston, hardened rockers and HD springs, then you dont what the web cam. Why the higher comp piston?

drew416ex
02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
On an engine everything has to work together. To get the FULL benefit of one part, you have to get the other. If you get a cam with too much duration for the compression you have, you can lose power because cylinder pressure is lost. More duration = less cylinder pressure which means less low end torque. Im not saying it wouldnt run, it may even give it a increase, but with a web cam it would probably lose lots of low to mid range power. For me, thats defeating the purpose of a 4-stroke. If you want to keep your low to mid, i say it needs more compression for a web cam

TRXRacer1
02-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
On an engine everything has to work together. To get the FULL benefit of one part, you have to get the other. If you get a cam with too much duration for the compression you have, you can lose power because cylinder pressure is lost. More duration = less cylinder pressure which means less low end torque. Im not saying it wouldnt run, it may even give it a increase, but with a web cam it would probably lose lots of low to mid range power. For me, thats defeating the purpose of a 4-stroke. If you want to keep your low to mid, i say it needs more compression for a web cam Did you know that cylinder pressure is only lost on the very low end with longer duration? That's why when you take a pressure reading it's lower then a short duration cam. For the rest of the RPM it progressively gains pressure with the larger breath of air & fuel mix. There's a good write up on it at Isky cams. Most of the time you will feel all gains, top to bottom, from a cam even with the stock piston. I do agree the higher comp piston is a nice compliment to any engine build but to say you shouldn't even bother installing the cam without one is a stretch.

drew416ex
02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Like I said in the post you just commented on. Im not saying it wont work, I just wouldnt do it because it does lose the low end. In most races, lowend power wins the race.

clutch25
02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Hot cams stage 2....

Web cams are hard on the valve train, and if they do require hardened rockers...that equals more $$$$...

I put a Stg 2 in my buddies 400ex and the power spread just never seems to end! I couldn't be happier with the choice!

Wheelie
02-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I've got the HC stg 3 and love it. Drop in cam, great quality and great power. No problems yet with 2 years on it.