PDA

View Full Version : Painting Shocks and springs

firefighterjosh
01-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I know I should powder coat them, but that wont come till next season....so now we can get on with painting.

I am getting YFZ 450 shocks. They are the Yellow springs and bare aluminum on the rest.

I want them to be completly black so they match my quad better.

What kind of paint do you think I should use on the springs? Also what kind do you think on the Body of shocks?

BTW I am not painting the shaft just everything else black

Ty's400
01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
That rustoleum or krylon spray paint for metal may work fairly well. Just make sure everything is cleaned well and spray multiple light coats. You can also get some clear to spray over it!

Dr89
01-29-2008, 09:00 PM
sand everything as best you can with pretty course grit sand paper...the paint needs somethin to stick too. if you wanna order paint out of a magazine or somethin the pj1 or ppg stuff is pretty dang good. but if you just wanna get some stuff from wal-mart or somethin then rostoleum is what i've had the best luck with. i did my yfz a-arms and side cases with the rostoleum metallic finish and they're holding up reeeeaaaaally well. plus you can just touch them up when you need too.

btw, you want to use JUST ENOUGH thin coats to cover everything, not a whole bunch of thin coats cause you end up with one really thick coat...which chips easily. heres a look at my bottom a-arms after a couple good rides and a power wash.

Dr89
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
or get shock covers....haha

firefighterjosh
01-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks everyone I am gunna go with the rustoleum or krylon. I will take before and after pics

f4istunna
01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
+1 for rustoleum. Ive tried lost of different rattle cans over the yrs. Rustoleum seems to lay down and hold up the best for the $$.

I saw a powdercoat type paint in a can somewhere once i want to say napa. Im going to pick some of this up and do my nerfs w/ it and see how it works.

Like said above sand/scotchbrite everything you want to paint real good, wipe down w/ laquer thinner afterwards.

Then use a few think coats, the first coat i just kinda mist on to give the next few coats something to adhere to.