PDA

View Full Version : has anyone completely parted a new 400ex?

cerino2000
01-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I bought a new four wheeler and have only ridden it for about an hour since I got it. To avoid losing my ***** on it, I am considering stripping it out and parting the heck out of it on ebay.

Has anyone done this? How successful were you? To what level did you part it out? What I mean is, (for example) I could sell the whole engine as a whole or even strip that all the way down to the bottom end to maximize the $$ return on it.

Thoughts from anyone that has done this?

casey_lamm
01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
are you trying to part out for profit. if so it would depend on what you paid for it.

most people don't part new bikes. typically a stock bike will get most money if you sell it as a complete bike... now if you have modded the bike and added upgrades you usually are best to sell the upgrades seperate, then sell the bike.

All the parts do have value, but i would be surprised if they add up to the level you would want.

Originally posted by cerino2000
I bought a new four wheeler and have only ridden it for about an hour since I got it. To avoid losing my ***** on it, I am considering stripping it out and parting the heck out of it on ebay.

Has anyone done this? How successful were you? To what level did you part it out? What I mean is, (for example) I could sell the whole engine as a whole or even strip that all the way down to the bottom end to maximize the $$ return on it.

maxfior
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I guess my question is why did you buy the quad in the first place? You are always going to loose value on something when you buy it, but I'm sure it will not be that much. If you paid say $3000 grand for an EX and it was completely worth that, you should be able to get what you paid for it or maybe a few hundred less, assuming that you sell it quickly and not hold on to it for a long time... It would be a different story if you were parting out a mint 250R 3wheeler or something, since that is a more sought after machine and people are looking to restore theirs... 400EX's are pretty much a dime a dozen so to speak and you can find parts for them everywhere... Not to mention that the model years are pretty much the same too... Just my $0.02.

Max

shadowwalker
01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cerino2000

Look on ebay. You'll be disappointed at what stock parts get. In fact, a lot of things only get 1 or 2 bids for really low prices, or no bids at all. Things like heel guards and the battery tray, even the headpipe, go for under 20 a lot of times. There are heel guards right now on ebay with one bid at 99 cents ending in less than a day.

The thing is, more often than not, people replace broken parts with after market parts because they are stronger and/or look better then stock parts. And a lot of times the cost difference isn't much, depending on the part.

my88r
01-29-2008, 10:52 PM
if it is fully aftermarket. it will bring in the money. stock parts sell for pennies.