PDA

View Full Version : Break in question

lil_watz_ex
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
I recently got my ex back from the shop and am breaking it in. this is my first time breaking a motor in and I notice after I am done riding smoke will come up occasionally from the front of the quad. I looked after riding one night and noticed some oil dripping on my exhaust. I guess my question is why is this doing this, is it normal, is it something i should be concerned about and call the mechanic, or is this part of the break in process? Any help will be appreciated

smorris1
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Where is the oil coming from? If its from the head or the valve cover, its probably a leaky gasket. Did the shop use new gaskets do you know?

lil_watz_ex
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not 100% sure. It might be coming from the head. Yeah they used new gaskets.

hornetgod13
01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Look it over real good when it's running. It could be coming from the valve cover right above the exhaust headers or perhaps your oil cooler is leaking.

lil_watz_ex
01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
If it is my oil cooler is that something that is easily fixed or should I take it back to him

lil_watz_ex
01-30-2008, 09:09 PM
okay so it is either coming from the underside of the gas tank, it looks wet. or it is coming oil running down the header. But if it is coming from down the header why isnt it smoking right when it hits the header instead of a couple inches down. Any help would be great

maxfior
01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by lil_watz_ex
okay so it is either coming from the underside of the gas tank, it looks wet. or it is coming oil running down the header. But if it is coming from down the header why isnt it smoking right when it hits the header instead of a couple inches down. Any help would be great

Sounds to me like it might be the valve cover gasket. I would just take it back the the shop you had do the motor. You should not be having any issues like this, they must have not torque the cover right or maybe they did a poor job scraping old gasket material off before putting the new one on. Either way a new, tight motor should not leak or smoke! Take it back!

Max

JOEX
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
Sounds to me like it might be the valve cover gasket. I would just take it back the the shop you had do the motor. You should not be having any issues like this, they must have not torque the cover right or maybe they did a poor job scraping old gasket material off before putting the new one on. Either way a new, tight motor should not leak or smoke! Take it back!

Max
The valve cover gasket is steel and is supposed to be reusable but mine leaked after the first rebuild.

maxfior
02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
The valve cover gasket is steel and is supposed to be reusable but mine leaked after the first rebuild.

...Interesting... I would never re-use a gasket unless it was some sort of o-ring (maybe) I'm sure a new valve cover gasket should not have been that expensive, might as well not take the chance... Just my $0.02

Max

JOEX
02-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
...Interesting... I would never re-use a gasket unless it was some sort of o-ring (maybe) I'm sure a new valve cover gasket should not have been that expensive, might as well not take the chance... Just my $0.02

Max
I don't remember what a new valvew cover gasket cost, I want to say between $18-$20, maybe more. Not real expensive but not cheap either. I've had the valve cover off a couple of times since the new one with out any leakage.

'Seepage' might be a better discription than 'leakage':p

maxfior
02-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't remember what a new valvew cover gasket cost, I want to say between $18-$20, maybe more. Not real expensive but not cheap either. I've had the valve cover off a couple of times since the new one with out any leakage.

'Seepage' might be a better discription than 'leakage':p

...Yeah, little pricey for a gasket, you'd think that they would make them cost less since there are so many 400 engines out there... Oh well. rolleyes:

Max: