PDA

View Full Version : a little help please?

theupsmanhatesm
01-28-2008, 11:59 PM
So I just bought this 2003 LTZ400 from a guy in Wisconsin, and it's having a few problems here and there. It has an Edlebrock carb, Full yoshi exhaust, and a K&N air filter with an outerwears cover and no air box lid. Thats about it for the engine. But it has alot of trouble starting up and even more trying to idle.

Being the edlebrock it doesn't have a choke, but even when it warms up theres just not something right with it. It has an odd sputter like it's constantly flooded, and it even acts like it's got too much gas and SMELLS like it has to much gas. Anyone else have a problem like this?

I was thinking it could be the jetting, or maybe it would help if I bought it an airbox lid, but I'm trying to get other opinions cuz I just snapped the throttle cable and it'll be down for a day or two while I wait on the new one.

Let me know what you think.

cataway
01-29-2008, 04:12 AM
edlebrock does not have a choke , i did not know that .
usually the first thing that comes to mined with starting isues is the valves are to tight .
sorry i dont have a edlebrock but putting the lid back on is not going to help ,it would in fact make the jetting way rich.
your going to have to find out whats in it for jetting and start from there .

theupsmanhatesm
01-29-2008, 06:27 AM
I just asked the guy i bought it from, and it is not jetted at all. Would the carb not sitting level have anything to do with it? It's kind of at a slight angle (like 10-15 degress from vertical).

I think i might sell the Edlebrock and just buy a stock or 450R stock carb. But they said they had the top end done professionally so i don't see how it could be the valves unless the mechanic wasn't very good.

cataway
01-29-2008, 07:47 AM
I C so its not jetted correctly , if ya get that right you may end up happy with it, there a number of guys using the edlebrock but were to start on what to use for jetting would take some investigation.
if you were to change carbs you would be in the same place you are now ,wondering what to do about jetting.
when i had the stock carb set up i did manage to get 40 hp from it ,now with the FCR i dont yet know what the hp is i'm just assuming it will be better. time will tell.

theupsmanhatesm
01-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Alrighty, I'll try to jet it when I get some cash and re-post to let you know how it went.

bellzbub
01-30-2008, 09:21 AM
you will need to find out what needle is in the eddy. then call edelbrock tech support. or go online to their web site. i believe you can download the manual. if it was never "jetted" then it should be stock settings.

the eddy has no choke but to start it with an eddy you flip the throttle twice and then hit the start button. it has an accelerator pump that will shoot some gas into the carb to get started.

the eddy is a good carb but it takes a while to get it dialed in. once it is dialed in it will work great.

get the manual for the eddy. it has all the info needed for the proper set up. i ran one for 2 years with no problems. when i built my new motor i went to an fcr.