PDA

View Full Version : ESR CR Ignition installation

Jer250R
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I did a search but couldn't find what i was looking for. I recently purchased a used esr cr ignition system for my 87 R and know i have it but i'm not sure how to go about installing it.

just wondering if anyone has any pictures or advice, mostly on the flywheel and stator and adapter bracket. also i have the flywheel puller from honda, but are there any tricks or trouble spots i should know about?

its really cold outside and i don't want to get all bundled up to work on the bike then not know what i'm doing.

thanks!

C-LEIGH RACING
01-29-2008, 07:56 AM
The CR ignition stator plate itself only has two places where it can be mounted to the adapter plate, one at the top & one at the bottom where the bolts go through.
When your ready to mount the CR ignition adapter plate to the TRX engine, you will see it has three holes around the outside edge just like the TRX ignition stator plate. When you place the plate in the area where the ignition mounts to the case, theres only one way the adapter plate will fit in & all three holes aline up right.
Once you have that mounted, you will see two threaded mounting holes on the adapter plate, one at the top & one at the bottom, these are to mount the CR ignition to the plate.

Now, when your holding & looking at the CR stator plate, by itself, you see the pickup module mounted to the outer edge of the plate, when you have the stator plate the right way it is to be mounted, the pickup module will be sitting at the 2:00 position, now place it on the adapter plate like your holding it & screw in the two bolts that hold it in place.

While you are doing this, look at the bottom of the CR stator plate where the bolt goes & see if theres a small steel metal plate mounted over the bottom hole.
There may be one there or it could have been removed already, but if it is still in place, you will see a little phillips screw to the right that holes it in place, remove that screw & take the plate off.
Now, with that little plate off you now will see the stator plate, it has an adjustment slot just like the top hole has.
Before you tighten the stator plate bolts down completely, rotate the stator plate as far counter clockwise as it will rotate & then lock the bolts down. With the plate locked down at this position your ignition will be set around 5* advance. If your wanting more advance in the igntion timming, loosen the bolts & rotate the stator plate clockwise.
Dont move it very much if you do want more advance because for about every 1/16th" of movement its two to four degrees of advance.
Dont, do this.
With the stator plate rotated as far as it will rotate clockwise, the ignition will be set 25 to 30 degrees advance timming. Only reason you would need that much advance timming would be for alky fuel & stroker cranked engine.
Neil

Jer250R
01-29-2008, 08:39 PM
beautiful, thanks so much man!!