PDA

View Full Version : tearing apart my engine quick question

quader400
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
well first off im starting to tear down my engine and i took the valve cover off i found a bunch of needles from the needle bearings up top by the cam. this engine hasnt run in a while wich is probably a good thing knowing now that the bearings are completley shot. thats my babble but my question is does it matter if im tearing the whole thing apart to be at top dead center? would it make it any easier if it was? thanks

4ABURN
01-28-2008, 06:11 PM
I would just pull it apart TDC is inportant for cam timing when you go to put it together:D my 2 cents

01-29-2008, 06:46 AM
Just tear it a part.

rt20ps
01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Turn it to TDC and measure and record your valve lash before taking it apart. It will be much easier than re-assembling it to check and set it later.

You need to make shure your cam lobes are facing up before you release your cct and cam carrier bolts.

d3ktrix
01-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by rt20ps
Turn it to TDC and measure and record your valve lash before taking it apart. It will be much easier than re-assembling it to check and set it later.

You need to make shure your cam lobes are facing up before you release your cct and cam carrier bolts.

Thats good advice, makes life easier later. one less time u have to put the cam tower back on to take clearance measurements.

And yeah make sure the cam isn't opening any of the valves so theres force pushing up on the cam tower when u unbolt it.

Otherwise it doesn't matter where is the piston/crank is at while its being taken apart. Just have to line the marks up when putting it back together.