PDA

View Full Version : 400ex: Front brake line problem??

atvhonda-rider
01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, i have a problem with my front brake lines again, went to disconnect line from the caliper, NOTHING. The nut wont break loose.. I've tried releasing fluid pressure, PB blaster spray, vise grips etc. I havn't tried heat tho... any thing im missing that would be stopping me? Try heat and thats it?? What if it doesnt come off. LMK on thoughts guys appreciate it thanks -Wes

JOEX
01-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by atvhonda-rider
Hey guys, i have a problem with my front brake lines again, went to disconnect line from the caliper, NOTHING. The nut wont break loose.. I've tried releasing fluid pressure, PB blaster spray, vise grips etc. I havn't tried heat tho... any thing im missing that would be stopping me? Try heat and thats it?? What if it doesnt come off. LMK on thoughts guys appreciate it thanks -Wes
How big of a wrench are you using? I've had my quad about 95% apart and never had to use heat on any bolt:ermm:

my88r
01-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
How big of a wrench are you using? I've had my quad about 95% apart and never had to use heat on any bolt:ermm:

yes, more leverage is always good. a simple propane torch is always helpful. for those reasons.

JOEX
01-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by my88r
yes, more leverage is always good. a simple propane torch is always helpful. for those reasons.
IMO i'd use heat as a last resort especially when fluids and rubber parts are involved:ermm:

my88r
01-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
IMO i'd use heat as a last resort especially when fluids and rubber parts are involved:ermm:

yea thats a good point. i just had a hard time getting my swingarm bolts off. i put a small breaker bar. (metal pipe) and got them to come off.

atvhonda-rider
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
well i didnt think of a cheater bar, i usually leave it to my guns :macho lol. but besides that fact, and i noticed this on ALL the brake line nuts for some reason (on my bike) the hat (top side) of the nut is rounded, and further to the base is where it gets square, and i've having trouble NOT stripping it... its kinda pissin me off lol

atvhonda-rider
01-29-2008, 05:20 PM
never thought of using a cheater bar, i usually just leave it to my guns :macho lol. I'll try that, but ive also noticed the top side of the nuts are rounded, and only towards the base are they square.. so im having a hard time NOT stripping them.. :confused:

atvhonda-rider
never thought of using a cheater bar, i usually just leave it to my guns :macho lol. I'll try that, but ive also noticed the top side of the nuts are rounded, and only towards the base are they square.. so im having a hard time NOT stripping them.. :confused:

atvhonda-rider

Toadz400
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Holy quadruple post Batman!

How long are you letting the penetrating fluids sit? Make sure to soak it down good and try hammering on it to get the fluid to seep in better. Make sure to use a cheater bar and remember, impact really makes a difference when breaking a nut loose. Worst case scenario you break the nut off and have to drill it out. Might have to do that anyway because it's stripping.

atvhonda-rider
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Lol yeah sorry about that, my peice of crap computer likes to freeze up when i post and it re-posts until it unfreezes..

Ok, i was thinking about that all too.. i might be able to get my buddy's small impact gun on it, not for sure though. Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll let ya know how it turns out!