PDA

View Full Version : Buildn a dragster....please help

ridered300
11-15-2002, 05:30 PM
I hoping to set up my quad for drag racing this winter and get started in the spring locally. I have never really been around guad draggin, mostly just GNCC type stuff. I know alot of the mods I'll need to get a competitve setup but I was hopin to get help from someone whos in the sport now or was. Thanks in advance...and my bikes a Z400, love the 400ex but I have a hook up at a suzuki dealer and got a good deal

11-16-2002, 07:45 AM
if u want to be serious abt drag racing u really need a banshee or a crazy 250r. I have never seen many other ones that can hang with those.

11-16-2002, 09:52 AM
contact yoshimura they have a good 450 kit that will make it pretty fast, yes a banshee would be the best dragster type but then you will have to rebuild it like twice as often as a 4 stroke and you have 2 of everything to modify/ replace so it cost twice as much, and some nitrous never hurt:D

11-16-2002, 09:57 AM
also are you doing 1/4, 1/8 , 100yard or 300yard drag racing, it matters because you need to gear it right for the longer ones

ridered300
11-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Distance will prob vary from track to track, so I coudl just buy the diff front sprockets and change them dependent upon th length. I know a 2 stroke would be a better dragger, but I wont have to run against them if I get in the 400cc class. Also to stay in this class I figured Id leave the boring out of it, at least my first year. Also what is the best way to get a sponsor? I dont have the kinda cash to get this thing off the ground alone. Thanks guys, keep the comments coming!

Sparks425Ex
11-17-2002, 01:56 PM
Give TC a Call. Or Sparks. Both will build you a motor that really rips.

ChadEXer
11-18-2002, 10:32 AM
The first thing you should do is buy a HONDA!! Im just kidding!!! Yeah Banshees and R's can be built faster than anything else, but I was just like you and wanted to race in the 400cc 4 stroke class,,,,just as much competition, but the competition isnt as fierce!!! Of course you need a strong motor, and take everything off the quad that you dont need, if your real serious about it some guys even take their front brakes and stuff off!! Extend your swingarm to at least a +4, and dont be scared to give it he!!;)

ridered300
11-18-2002, 05:13 PM
advice from the drag king huh? what all can I take off and still run normally. Also what is a good lightweight tire for dirt races? thanks guys Im compiling a list!

ChadEXer
11-19-2002, 08:52 AM
As far as the Suzuki goes Im not sure what all you can take off! i removed lights, tool kit, battery and rear light brackets were taken off the frame and quite a few others! The best tires for dirt draggin are Ohtsu Pro Wedges!!!

Moded86R
11-20-2002, 10:28 PM
A buddy of mine sand drags a shee.Basicly his bike has no shocks,no front brakes,Sits almost on the ground,He runs pro wedges or taller haulers.There is a new tire out called the 4-snow.I believe maxxis makes it.If you go to the reveiw pages on ATV scene(or source)They have a reveiw of them.

I am assumming this is bracket racing.Mainly practice your reaction times.I have researched alot about bracket racing.Cutting a good light and staying consistent and as close to your dial in are what it is all about.If you are looking to go fast mod your bike alot.If you are looking to make money and be a contender keep it fairly stock.Stock is alot more consistent.

ridered300
11-21-2002, 08:10 AM
If its fairly stock how am I going to run with the modded machines? I want to go fast and win, thought one led to the other.

ChadEXer
11-21-2002, 08:59 AM
Well as far as I know there is NO way to keep your bike mostly stock and have any chances of winning!! The goal isnt to be consistent, its to get faster and faster, not only the bike with mods but the rider as well!!! Drag racing isnt really as easy as it seems!! You have to have a fast bike, good reaction times, know just when to shift and how to use the clutch, and you cant be scared to give it he!!;)

QuadTrix6
11-21-2002, 12:41 PM
buy an exriders t shirt it will make you much faster just ask Ben :D

markeg192
11-21-2002, 03:00 PM
sSome drags are head up and some are bracket. In bracket you have to estimate your time before you run. Then when you race the fast guy has to spot the slow guy the difference that way it's equal and the one who makes the best pass wins. If you run faster than your estimate you are disqualified. so anyone can win.I raced alot at our local dragstrip this summer (bracket racing). The best mod I done was put on a set of lawnmower tires so I could spin a little and keep the frontend on the ground. 70+mph on lawnmower tires.

ChadEXer
11-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Bracket racing, i see,,,well we dont have any of that out here,,,,,the fastest machine wins!!!

Moded86R
11-21-2002, 06:45 PM
I understand what your a saying chadexer but this bracket racing.And stock is more consistent.More consistent = winner!

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Moded86R
I understand what your a saying chadexer but this bracket racing.And stock is more consistent.More consistent = winner!
I understand, sorry about that,,all we do here is head to head,,Ive never raced bracket before!

markeg192
11-22-2002, 01:28 PM
We bracket race here on an 1/8 asphalt. My first time I won it all and i was slipping the clutch real harsh to keep it from standing up. I ran a cosistent 10.4 secs. at 63 m.p.h. By the end of the year i was running 9.2s at just over 70 m.p. h. A buddy of mine who is a much better dragger than me run 8.8s at over 73 m.p.h. He tied the best four stroke time ( Raptor cammed,piped and susp. mods). Now i'm a 440 instead of 416.But I have a friend with a Lonestar drag Banshee who ran a 7.1 at 99.8 m.p.h.too.First thing is to replace your front shocks with something solid that will lower your frontend as much as you can so you can get off the line fast. In 100 yards if you get beat off the line you will need a big horsepower advantage to catch back up.

ChadEXer
11-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Its always good to get a good start! Thats one thing I was really good at, with mine stock and after the 416, I could pull anybody off the line but the more modded bikes would pass me right up in 3rd or 4th!!! I got the secret down of the exact RPM to launch at!! Now i got the horsepower to stay out front hopefully!!!

markeg192
11-22-2002, 06:38 PM
Hey Chad,I was reading posts at atv Connection a while back and seen some posts about the 500cc motors. A couple of guys who had them in Cal. said they were never beat by a four stroke and beat Banshees all the time at Glamis. They must be real fast.

11-22-2002, 11:05 PM
Ok here is what you need
.125 Douglas wheels 9X9
Otsu ratials 400ex tires rears
Marvin Shaws shocks all the way around
Spindle mount wheels looks like Jr dragster front wheels-(remove all your front brake system)
HIGH REV BOX MUST HAVE!!!!!!
Super Trapp shorty race pipe(dont know if they make it for the Z)
Find stuff to remove like airbox(but not recommended) and replace with open filter,race cut you fenders fron and rear,and etc
Also find stuff that you can take off to make your quad lighter,like get you a set of ultra light a-arms sold here in ky -1 on 250Rs
Use a Wide axle like LS or Dura Blue,but the RPM alum is the way to go
Just kinda hold off on going extreame on engine mods,you need to get the feel of racing with a lighten quad and get use to the lights.I have drag raced for over 8 years
I have built 250Rs,350Rs,Banshees,400EX's,Blasters,and 300ex's for drag racing.I dont know a whole lot about the Z400 but I tried to help out as much as possible
And buy the way after all my years of drag racing I have seen $13,000 R's get beat so watch how you spend your money
Drag Racing aint no cheap sport.AND BIGGER AND STROKER DONT ALWAYS WIN RACES DOWN HERE WITH THE 4-Strokers!!!

Moded86R
11-22-2002, 11:09 PM
I am not sure if he is just using this bike as a drag bike.Or just wants to give it a shot.you may consider using tie downs to strap the front of you bike down by compressing the front shocks.Or maybe putting stock 300ex shocks in their.The 400ex and Z tires are so close I don't think a stock bike it would matter.I do agree with the .125 wheels.

Sounds like you have built some nice bikes there KHAOS.

quadman
11-23-2002, 08:45 AM
well for your dragster , i would start out with an engine, maybe a 50 or something cant get to dangerous here :rolleyes:

MichaelS693
11-23-2002, 01:45 PM
Bracket Racing = E.T. class is basicallly the slowest guy gets to go first and the fast guy has to catch up before the slow guy reaches the finish line and you have to have a good dial in time and learn how to shift.........these are pro wedges in case you dont know.....i know guys ive posted these before deal with it haha....

ChadEXer
11-23-2002, 02:17 PM
Khoa is talking about getting down!!! Thats what you do if you want to get really into it and never play ride your bike again!!! I wanted to have one of the fastest if not the fastest bike out there but still be a reasonable bike to cruise on!!! I agree with everything you have said except extending the axle! I have an extended axle and dont have a problem drag racing with it but about 90% of the drag bikes I see they dont use extended axles, matter of fact my friend with the crazy drag R said to him its much better dragging with the stock width instead of a extended axle?? Im not sure but it does seem like most dont extend the axle?? Khoa is right about the BIGGER STROKED bikes dont always win, because basically if I came up against a 440EX that was a complete drag bike with drag frame and all that other stuff Khoa said then he would probably beat me!!! but you put my motor in that frame,,,then the bigger will win!!!!

Markeg192, the 500cc motors are very fast!! Its actually amazing how fast you can make a 400EX go!! Cant wait to get mine back together and get the methynol in it and get some strip times under my belt, and even some numbers on Highlifters dyno!!!

11-23-2002, 04:44 PM
We run 200ft and 300ft dirt drag,the narrow axle kinda wants to pull to either side,so the wide axle helps up for more stability.Bu if you were doing alot of Dune rideing the marvins can be charged up and it will raise the ride height.Useing tie downs are ok BUT you loose alot of traction because your shocks are already compressed and you need some suspension in dirt drag racing.If you want to not go all out like chad was saying do this,get a set of bolt on drag race front wheels they are small and will lower the front end COSTS LIKE $75 or less then if you can get a lowering strut for the Z use that to lower the rear that way you dont have to buy drag race shocks.If you need any more advice and were you can get drag race parts e-mail me at Khaosmotorsports@aol.com