PDA

View Full Version : Cold Blooded 450R

400excracer
01-28-2008, 12:04 PM
OK, I waited until honda came out with electric start for the 450R to buy one because I loved the estart on my 400EX. After two years of dealing with this electric start I have had it. I went ice racing this weeknd and it started fine in my garage at 30 degrees, but once I got to the races and it was 5 degrees it didnt want to start. My battery died after about 3 trys and evern when I jumped it off of my truck it wouldnt fire. I even try to pull start it and it wouldnt fire. I had to go home and not race. Once it warmed up to 30 degrees it started right up. I am sick of being last off the line in XC races because this thing takes forever to start. Does anyone have any hints as to how to make the estart work better? If I cant fix the problem, then I am going to look at the new KTMs. I bought a Honda for reliability and that is not what I am getting. I miss my 400EX.

bloodmoney23
01-28-2008, 12:45 PM
yeah if it is not starting just cause it is cold then your jetting is just too far off. a guy this weekend at NEMX had the same problem with a YFZ450. he changed his jets and it started right up. no matter what bike you have you aint gonna get it to run perfect when its 5º. mine ran at 5º but sure as hell didnt run good. nobodies bike was running good at the race. the whole day all you heard was pop-pop-crack-pop and the occasional loud swearing of a guy whos bike would stall.

4ABURN
01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I had to stab the throttle 10 times this weekend to get if to start with it being -10 out, and it didn't run for week or too and that is with a 45 pilot(really recomended).some peaple are afraid to pump the throttle enough.. any way my 2 cents.

I did the same as you wanted the electric start for hill climbing now I know the tricks to it and it starts great every time.

400excracer
01-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
I had to stab the throttle 10 times this weekend to get if to start with it being -10 out, and it didn't run for week or too and that is with a 45 pilot(really recomended).some peaple are afraid to pump the throttle enough.. any way my 2 cents.

I did the same as you wanted the electric start for hill climbing now I know the tricks to it and it starts great every time. Thanks for the info, but I have a few more questions for you. I believe the pilot jet is also called the slow jet, right? I checked the microfishe and it comes with a 42 slow jet stock. What are you using for a main jet? I am currently using a 170 main and a 55 leak jet (aftermarket exhaust). When you are trying to start it, do you pump the throttle 10 times with the choke on and then hit the start button? I actually tried pumping the throttle a couple of times, but had no success. Thanks for your help!!!

bloodmoney23
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
try dropping the slow jet from the 55 to a 52 and running a 180 main. you may get a much better result especially with the cold weather. The colder it gets the higher main you need to run. do you ever get popping? You may be really lean. What year is your bike though cause im refering to an 05 jetting spec which is alot different than 06 and newer. I run a 52 slow and 190 main and at 5º i would say i need to run a 195-200 to get better performance. another thing you can try is starting fluid. used to work real good on my dads old 300. just spray a little on filter

4ABURN
01-28-2008, 05:20 PM
on my 06 I pump the gas 5 times when cold with chock on, if it doesn't try I will pump it 4or5 more times and it will always start that way. my jetting is 45 (slow jet) crf needle 4th posand 165 main. Bigger main will not help it start better. I have a modded air box for the winter I drill 3/8 holes around the out side, for the powder snow that I put on for the snow and this will richen the jetting slightly with the lid on and this helps in the cold also. then I take it off in the summer. I hop this helps. you (don,t be afraid to stab the gas before you hit the starter. I wouldn't hit it more than 10 times you might flood it.

d3ktrix
01-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
try dropping the slow jet from the 55 to a 52 and running a 180 main. you may get a much better result especially with the cold weather. The colder it gets the higher main you need to run. do you ever get popping? You may be really lean. What year is your bike though cause im refering to an 05 jetting spec which is alot different than 06 and newer. I run a 52 slow and 190 main and at 5º i would say i need to run a 195-200 to get better performance. another thing you can try is starting fluid. used to work real good on my dads old 300. just spray a little on filter

You are confusing his pilot jet and his leak jet.
He is running:
170MJ
42pilot
55 Leak jet

If he says his pilot is 42 stock then his bike is an 06+

400excracer, to help with cold starting trying going up to a 45pilot.
What needle are you running? An HRC needle is always an improvement and might help with cold starting as well.

And if your bike needs a 170MJ for regular summer riding, then u will need to go up a few sizes when riding in 5degree weather. If not your bike will run extremely lean, pop like crazy, shoot flames, or not start at all.