PDA

View Full Version : |HELP| RE: Needle Bearings 88-89 Swingarm

danhung11
01-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Any suggestions on how to get these out? A little trickier than the 86/87's, just asking for some advice.

They aren't budging....:ermm:

Thanks,
Dan
:cool:

honda380
01-28-2008, 08:35 AM
mine got seized in mine a little while ago. we took a very sharp chisel and cut them with it. then after that cut was made, take a pair of needle nose pliers and start rolling the metal around them. i believe we knocked out all the needles and stuff so we just had to get out the outer race part. hope this helps. Corey

86 Quad R
01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
try heating the swinger up a bit with a propane torch and then knockin em out.

aasco90
01-28-2008, 11:54 AM
380 has the right idea, i used a small die grider to cut threw the bearring "carfully" then a small chisel to fold it in half:D

danhung11
01-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I will try a combination of these...

One bad thing is all the "bad" grease in this thing... when I heated it up initially, it was a mess. :(

Thanks again! Will keep you guys posted...

Dan

danhung11
01-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Figured it out...

For future references...put swingarm in vise.

Use a 3/8" socket drive extension, at least 12" long.

Attach a 5/8" or a 16mm socket and glide down the shoot and give it a few whacks with a hammer. Comes right out... :D

Thanks for your help fellas....

Dan ;)

my88r
01-29-2008, 11:04 PM
GLAD TO HEAR IT. waiting to see this build.:muscle:

danhung11
01-30-2008, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by my88r
GLAD TO HEAR IT. waiting to see this build.:muscle:

all coating will be done hopefully by this weekend. :)

250Renvy
01-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by danhung11
Figured it out...

For future references...put swingarm in vise.

Use a 3/8" socket drive extension, at least 12" long.

Attach a 5/8" or a 16mm socket and glide down the shoot and give it a few whacks with a hammer. Comes right out... :D

Thanks for your help fellas....

Dan ;)

Was this for a stock or aftermarket swingarm? Did you drive them out from one end to the other?

Just curious cause I have two swingarms to do and bearings are always a problem for me. It looks like there is a solid spacer between the needle bearings, or is that the part in the microfishe?

danhung11
01-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Was this for a stock or aftermarket swingarm? Did you drive them out from one end to the other?

Just curious cause I have two swingarms to do and bearings are always a problem for me. It looks like there is a solid spacer between the needle bearings, or is that the part in the microfishe?

It was a Laeger's Swingarm for 88/89.

On this particular swingarm, there is a lip only to hold the bearing from sliding down. Pound it out from the opposite side. Really only one way to knock it out. ;) The socket will barely fit in the ID. Once you get it in, you will have to lean it towards one side or another to catch the lip which is the bearing you want to get out. Hammer on...:blah:

Watch your fingers... :D

Let me know if this helps. :ermm:

Dan