PDA

View Full Version : 416 wont start/stay runnin

400exBRAAP
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
my 416 will not stay running hardly at all. actually, it will barely start. im running it off of the booster box, and i can get it to turn over really good and fast with the choke off, and it is acting like it wants to start. i even got it to start for a few seconds, then it died out, this is with no choke mind you. i have the battery sitting on the charger right now, on 10 AMP.

any ideas on what the problems with it are?

dont forget, im working in like 20-30 degree tempatures, so make sure that plays a role in ideas of solutions

boosted3g
01-27-2008, 08:35 PM
If its that cold have you tried it with the choke on. Make sure its not flooded if you have been cranking a while. You can also hit the throttle a few times before you try to start it to give it a little fuel. What i have done also is put a ceramic heater on the nerf bars pointed at the engine for a while to warm it up. Just be careful you are not going to burn any fuel lines or ignite anything, those heaters can get hot.

DSRider450
01-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Ive expereinced this problem first hand. If your battery wont hold a charge and u do get it started with the booster it probaly back fires and stalls out i found out if you use a booster with a 40amp boost it will fire right up and stay running with the booster still on if u take it off it will stall out try that and see if it does like i said and if so it usally means your battery is shot and can not feed every thing enough juice for everything to run.

400exBRAAP
01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
well, the battery does hold a charge, i left it on 10 AMP last night, and i went out and tried again this morning. i took the charger off, it read 13.80, then started dropping, real slowly, and when i checked it after a minute or 2, it read 13.70. and then i was trying to start it for a little bit, with the booster on the battery, switching between 10 and 30 AMP. i then took the booster off, with no success getting it running. i then checked the battery, and it said 12.72, then it climbed until about 12.78. so i think that means the battery is ok. so when i get home tonight, im gonna set a heater in front of it, cuz maybe the problem is that it is just cold.

if there is any other input on the problem, insight would be appreciated

400thacker
01-28-2008, 08:17 AM
you may not want to hear this but it may be that your timing has jumped a tooth. did it shut itself off the last time you were riding? has it been sitting for a while? many things can contribute to your problem.differenciating temperatures can cause metal to contract/swell. if your timing chain has stretched from hard riding combined with harsh temperature changes it could have caused it to jump time. not sure how much temperature has to do with this but i had one do the same exact thing and it ended up being a combination of bad gas, timing and a dead plug. just my .02
hope this helps. change the gas first thing and then make sure you are getting fire to the plug and if you are change the plug. you should see some change in this for sure. may want to run a little octane booster in it to make sure you are getting hot detonation. pm me and let me know what happens
DAN

400exBRAAP
01-28-2008, 05:51 PM
i really doubt its the timing, the last time it ran, it ran really great. so i doubt it jumped time. and after i shut it off, not it died, a few min. later i started it back up, and she started right on up. this was about a week ago tho. but i am going to go out tonight and set the salemander heater near it and let that warm up the engine. me and my dad think it may just be that the engine is sismple cold. just like on diesels, they have glow plugs to warm the block, maybe my wheeler needs to get the engine warmed up some. i will write back when i get done giving this a shot.

400exBRAAP
01-29-2008, 09:26 AM
anybody

bartlettracing
01-29-2008, 10:07 AM
first .. stop with the battery charger ! your battery cant handle 10amps much less the 30amp!!! your going to fry the electrical system ...

pull the spark plug out and get a new one .... you have probly fouled it from the exsasive starting ...

Warm the quad up somehow ...

if your on a poor mans buget .. get your mom's cake pan and fill it with charcol .. light it and let it sit untill it doesnt flame any more and its just red with heat ... slide it under the atv and keep a close eye on it ... it will warm up the engine .... dont get it real close or allow any fire ect ... have some water around ..

or pull start the thing ... during ice racing pull start is very common .....

400exBRAAP
01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
well, she runs now. i had to mess around for a long time and find a plug wrench. finally found one, pulled the plug, and then got one outta our big bear, put that in for ****s and giggles, and she fired right up!

so i let it run for a few, then swapped plugs back to the roiginal, and it runs and starts right up. well it did at least. my dad is goin to be gettin me new plugs on his way home from work tonight, so hopefully she will run like a champ.

can anyone think why she ran after i pulled, swapped,m the put the original plug back in?