PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Help...

DJR300ex
01-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I just got around to finally replacing the clutch on my old 250r and now im having a problem with it. Well, the clutch won't engage right and the bike just won't shift into gear when its running now. I made sure it was in there right and everything, and I've tried everything I know to do and it's still giving me trouble. The cable is adjusted right and everything else seems to be good. It shifted fine before I put the clutch in, so I know it has to have something to do with that. Any ideas of what could be wrong with it?

JohnBeton
01-28-2008, 02:30 AM
Maybe the plates are sticking together.
Did you put the new plates in some engine oil beforce mounting them ?
You can also try to put the engine in gear and push the bike a little forward and backward.

bushwesl
01-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Yes, you should always soak a new set of clutch plates in oil over night before installing them.

CorvetteZ06
01-28-2008, 07:43 AM
I also agree, did you soak the fibers before installing? Did you put back all the appropriate washers? is the clutch rod seated firmly in the clutch cable arm?

DJR300ex
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
yeah, i soaked all the plates over night before i put them in, and i put everything back the way it was. i messed with it for a while tonight and now it goes into gear right, but now the clutch isnt grabbing right. you can roll it with very little resistance when its in gear and the motor doesnt turn over when you do it. when you pull in the clutch, it doesnt make any difference and does the same thing. i have the cover off right now, and it looks like the plates are sticking together. any ideas?

86 Quad R
01-30-2008, 09:51 PM
does your basket and/or inner hub show any sign of grooves?

honda380
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
is the clutch arm itself broken? the part that pushes the push rod to work the clutch can break. happened on my buddies and we had a hell of a time figuring it out. Corey

Dave83
02-01-2008, 03:55 PM
We ran into this recently also.We had 2 or 3 of everything(clutchs,baskets,inner hubs) and no combination would ever make the clutch engage.I finally got mad and hit the pressure plate a couple firm whacks with a rubber mallet and it all started working and has been working soince the first of summer.Never figured it out,almost like there was a burr somewhere that gave into the hammer.

DJR300ex
02-01-2008, 08:56 PM
ok i figured it out. come to find out, rocky mountain atv sent me the wrong clutch. the friction plates are just fine but the steel plates were a lot thinner than the ones that were in it before. i cleaned up the old ones and put them in with the new friction plates and it works just fine. thanks for all the suggestions though, i really appreciate it.