PDA

View Full Version : Kickstart not springing back up

thedeatons
01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Any ideas what this might be? Do I need a new torsion spring for the kickstart or a rubber seal, or lube???? One year on it, pretty much all sand. It is the 2007 DRX2 70.....

mudder700
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Lube it,lube it, and lube it, I spray mine with WD-40, until it springs back up, it will take some spraying and moving the kick starter up and down numerous times, my 06 DRR50 did the same thing, and I don't get in the sand much.Just needs lubing

neveready
01-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Don't load the inside of the clucth cover with too much lube. The only thing you need to do is:

Remove clutch cover,

Slowly push kickstarter down,

Watch for the small gear that moves outward,

take this gear out,

Clean well with wd-40 paying special attention to the groove the spring rides in,

Lube with a VERY small amount of good graphite grease, including the shaft it goes back on,

Re-install and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps, we do it every time we pull the cover for any reason.

tireman43
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I do the same as mudder. I just spray it with lube, move it up and down until it feels good, then spray it with brake cleaner and let dry for a minute. Then do the lube again, just a small amount though. Let sit for a minute and good. Works every time.

mxdad423
01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Neveready hit the nail on the head.....Remove the little star gear, remove the retainer spring off of star gear, and LIGHTLY grease the groove on the star gear that the retainer spring rides in. I use wheel bearing grease because it will stand up to heat without getting runny....You don't want the grease to get onto the belt because it will cause the belt to slip......

Kevin Smitley

www.bakmotorsports.net

hotquads1
01-28-2008, 01:06 PM
also polish the "fork" wire spring with a little steel wool to remove build-up.
marc

etondaddy
01-29-2008, 06:37 AM
I can’t add anything to that boys. It became part of our weekly routine…. wash the quad, clean carburetor, clean and check the clutches. When Kyle would take the cover off to do the clutches he would hand it to me and I would do the kicker bendix. Keep the grove in the bendix and the little pin clean and use just a dab of good lube and you’ll be fine.

Mike Kozura