PDA

View Full Version : wider front arms

whc
01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
ok I got wider rear hubs, a set of 450 front shocks, sold my ktm bike so now I am getting wider arms, am going 2 inche wider and want adjustable camber, which make?? am leaning towards houser sport arms, or lagers, my local parts guy has offered me an attractive price on moose arms. looking for some input guys whos tried what? whats good what not so good. Mild Bill

tanner 222
01-27-2008, 06:47 PM
well after you buy your arms id try to get a wider axle unless your already running an aftermarket one? but if your running stock its sure to bend or break with those wider hubs. its just like having spacers really and any bad landing its sure to bend or break. just my 2 cents

whc
01-28-2008, 04:56 AM
yeah thought about that a bit, but was not even sure I want it wider, so decided to use the hubs, if I like wide I can get an axle. But why would hubs be any different then a wider axle, 2 inches is two inches I do not see why the hubs would be different then the axle. Bill

tanner 222
01-28-2008, 05:02 AM
well its really all about strength. stock axles are built quite soft and are only tested to withstand the pressure that it takes with the stock width. if you extend the width than obviously it makes the axle weaker. its simple science. now when you buy an aftermarket axle its made to withstand all that pressure because you cant make it any smaller.

whc
01-28-2008, 07:20 AM
that thougt

whc
01-28-2008, 07:24 AM
that thought had entered mine mind, I have bent a couple of stockers, but then again they where pretty easy to unbend. I was actually thinking about buying a g force axle if I like the wider machine. oh I have also seen two expensive axles bent. so wider may lead to more damage from hits?? will see what happens. later mild Bill

tanner 222
01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
well bending back the stock ones really doesnt help it again. its just like a noodle then. and a gforce is probably one of the weakest of the axles thats why they're so cheap but it also depends what you ride. if you just do some trail riding then a gforce would probably be ok cuz your not doing a lot of jumping but if your doing mx then thats whats gonna kill your axle so id either go with a RPM axle or a leager axle. those are one of the strongest axles every made and for the RPM axle i think there has only been like 5 or 6 people bend one in canada so they're pretty strong. and having a wider axle does not increase the chance of bending because like i said before they're made to withstand the pressure it will counter.