PDA

View Full Version : Snapped off Valve cover bolt

lorenjr83
01-27-2008, 03:20 PM
When i was putting my new cam in about a month ago one of the valve cover bolts snapped off. i finally got around to riding it today and it leaks oil right on the head pipe. What do you think would be the best way to get the rest of the bolt out? it snapped when we were pulling the cover off so its pretty snug in there. it is the bolt of the left front corner of the cover just above the exhaust.

Pipeless416
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by lorenjr83
When i was putting my new cam in about a month ago one of the valve cover bolts snapped off. i finally got around to riding it today and it leaks oil right on the head pipe. What do you think would be the best way to get the rest of the bolt out? it snapped when we were pulling the cover off so its pretty snug in there. it is the bolt of the left front corner of the cover just above the exhaust.

if you took the valve cover off does it stick out at all? if so, use vice grips. ive had to do this with a cheater bar in a couple cases. not fun, but it works if you can grab it.

lorenjr83
01-27-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah we had tried that but it was so tight the vice grips just sliped. there is only about an eighth of an inch sticking out.

CarGuy7a
01-27-2008, 08:30 PM
spray a little Aero Kroil around the threads. that stuff is great. i've gotten so many seized bolts out with that stuff. better than any other penetrating oil.

hornetgod13
01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Sounds like the last time it was apart someone put the wrong bolt in the wrong hole and bottomed it out until the bolt snapped.

Pull the cover back off and get some serious bite on those vice grips and twist it out. File flats on the sides of the bolt stem if possible to prevent the vice grips from slipping.

swaco
01-28-2008, 04:41 AM
can you get to a welder? good way is to weld a nut to the bolt whats left if you can get vise grips on it that means you got some sticking out thats a good thing some times it helps better to weld a washer to the bolt first then the nut more for if there none of the bolt sticking out to grab on if not try what hornetgod said with filing down couple side to get a good grip btw this is my first post i most just read here nice forum just trying to return the favor on helping someone else out :)