PDA

View Full Version : 400ex 1999 what do i need to do

jobemckinwee
01-27-2008, 08:48 AM
SORRY FOR THE RAMBLIN just was tring to give you as much info as i can about the bike.400ex 1999 just got it for $500 all i had to do was put the carb back on it and ride. the thing is, it runs ruff when i open it up it back fires and cuts out. the guy was hurting for money but was in good sprits when he gave it to me. real nice guy he also gave me tommy lee helmet. going to have to get some picture to show you guys. it has been strait wired to crank it ,i just have to turn the key on and touch the cables to the battery. dont have a battery box for the battery so when i do ride i have to leave it at home. ok it has a full yoshimura exhaust system i dont think they jeted it ,has holes in the air box lid cover, no filter ,the tires are bald so i am goint to the www.rockymountainatv.com order some tires. hoping you guys could tell me what kind of jets and filter to get. read alot of the trends. from what i read it looks like i need to jets the main and another cant remember what it was called slow something, but anyway what about the K&N jetkit and filter willl this solve my problem. want to order all at one time so i dont have to pay shiping.
thanks for any info
if any more is needed let me know THANKS AGAIN

Hondamaster5505
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
First of all, if he did all that, plus no filter, and didnt jet it, DONT RIDE IT!

It must be running lean as hell. Plus, its not good to ride without a filter, you get a bunch of dirty air and grime in the carb/engine.:ermm: thats not good.

1. Take carb off, clean it, and jet it according to what it has done. The main is for 3/4 to WOT. The pilot is for idol, and on the needle, the lower the clip the richer. Drop it down 1 notch and start at a 155 main and 42 pilot. You'll need to adjust from there.

2. Buy a filter. I run a ProFlow and love it. Uni and K&N are good also.

3. Wire it correctly:ermm: Theres no need to have a hackjob wire system.

NJ450rider
01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Hah if its got a full exhaust with no air filter and it hasnt been jetted it should be shooting flames out the exhaust. I would guess orange flames since its probably extremely lean. Yeah first of all stop riding it immediatly. First get a filter, second clean the carb and jet it. I hope you also changed the oil/ oil filter and checked the valves and adjusted them if need be. Fix it first before you blow it up.

250exkid
01-27-2008, 09:57 AM
ur lucky ya didnt keesh the engin! got any pics?

zrpilot
01-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jobemckinwee
it has been strait wired to crank it ,i just have to turn the key on and touch the cables to the battery. it has a full yoshimura exhaust system i dont think they jetted it ,has holes in the air box lid cover, no filter

The guy you bought it from is a lucky SOB, I'm surprised the 400EX did not melt down within 5 minutes with no filter, full exhaust system and stock jetting! Not to mention the sparks that flew trying to start it!

NO ONE can tell me the 400EX is not bullet-proof after hearing a story like this!

Sounds like a complete tear-down is needed.

jobemckinwee
01-27-2008, 11:23 AM
you think the k&n jetkit will have the right jets and will it come with the pilot thats is if i need the pilot. i seen some where that you can adhust the needle. monday morning i am ordering the tires and the jetkit if the k&n will work. dont have a honda dealer around here and the cycle shop here realy suxs. they act like they dont want to help you. called ask for some jets they want you to buy the whole carb and acted like they didnt have time for me.oh and i am going to get the K&N filter and outerware
thanks again for all of your help