PDA

View Full Version : 2003 250EX makeover

rotor1
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
just thought I would take a lot of photos of the new project...

check it out once in a while...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/rotorcfi/?action=view&current=14b6112a.pbw

rotor1
01-27-2008, 08:13 AM
this was the first Carb. i have tore into...
you can see all the residue/green film that had built up. I'm guessing it is from the crap that accumulated on the jets. anyone know for sure what that stuff is?
with the help of reading up on this site, the web and general mechanic skills this wasnt that bad ... granted, all i did was clean it out with a lot of carb cleaner and a toothbrush. then i soaked the main & pilot jets for a couple hrs in carb cleaner and blew compressed air through them. i had to take it apart twice because the pilot jet was still clogged. but after the 2nd try BAM! she fired right up.
I still have a carb kit on the way to rebuild it completely.

next up:
a good steam cleaning
air filter replacement
axle replacement
front & rear rear brakes...

jpconard
01-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Slideshow looks good. You may want to consider stripping it down to frame for a detailed inspection and touch-up the paint. Would be more time and work though.

When you do the front brakes, I discovered something when I did mine - Remove the rubber plug that is flush in the caliper (the larger one) with a small screw driver. Under it is an allen bolt which when removed will allow the caliper plate to be removed.

Do this and grease both pins. At first I didn't and they would drag too much with the new pads. After greasing the pins they work perfectly. I am not talking about the pins which hold the pads, but the pins attached to the caliper plate.

If that air filter is not damaged and can be cleaned keep it and also buy a new one. Having two allows you to change out to a new one and clean & dry the 2nd when you have time. I bought a K&N but I'm not sure they are worth the $. I'd just purchase a 2nd foam one, the stockers are dual foam and not too bad.

RideRed84
02-03-2008, 02:59 PM
That lawn mower tire cracks me up. Good luck with the build, looks like you have a good base to start with. Keep us posted.

ryanh250ex
02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
MAN that thing is rough.

The green sh*t is very very very old gas.

You may want to clean out the gas tank, I suspect there may be lots of crud in there from sitting for a while.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Are you going to renew it to stock condition, or are you going to put some aftermarket parts on?

rotor1
02-04-2008, 07:34 PM
JPConcord-
I'm just carefully going through it section by section.
Like you said it would be alot more time and work to take it down to the frame.
also, thanks for the front brake tip.

RideRed84-
LOL, I know... that thing was jerry rigged...I was suprised to see it had the same bolt pattern. I tried to take it off before I bought it but it had 2 stripped lugs and I had no tools. The woman was like "just take it!"
too funny though

Ryan-
done and done! when I saw that carb I flushed the tank the same day. axle swap in the next couple of days- wish me luck!
oh, should I cut(sawsall) the bent end of the axle off before I try to remove it? I'm not sure it will make it through the swingarm if I try to just pull it out.

Yippie-
I will not be adding any aftermarket stuff...
it'll be straight stock when I'm done.

going through the front end right now

then its onto the axle swap... and cleaning like a crazy man the whole way! lol

more pics to come...

rotor1
02-05-2008, 07:44 PM
hey everyone.

i am making some headway...check it out.
this weekend I'm refinishing the a arms.

the axle swap was EASY! When I put the new one in I was thinking "is this right? - theres got to be something I'm missing"

still lots of stuff to tend to though...

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/rotorcfi/?action=view&current=3bd1760c.pbw

rotor1
02-15-2008, 12:37 PM
ok so tell me what you guys think...

I went riding with it the other day and...
I FREAKING LOVED IT!! I really didnt know what to expect
(only ridden 250x/blaster) but these things are awesome!! so easy to ride and super fun!

So fun that I am considering selling this one to get an 08!

take a look and let me know what I could get out of it?
what range am I looking at?

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/rotorcfi/?action=view&current=abc812f8.pbw

thanks guys !
i now fully understand why there are forums dedicated to these machines...

-rotor

m.h.s.c.#527
02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
1300 to 1700 thats pretty broad but sumwhere in there

rotor1
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
sold her this past weekend!
$1750- the buyer didnt even try to negotiate...

said it was clean and felt good so he took it.

I calculated everything I put into it ($1100 Total),
so I made $650 when it was all said and done.

puts me that much closer to the '08!

rotor1
02-27-2008, 06:11 PM
another...

rotor1
02-27-2008, 06:12 PM
last one.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
02-27-2008, 07:43 PM
you did a really great job on that thing, turned out awesome! I hope to one day do something like that. What kind of riding do you plan to do if you get an 08?