PDA

View Full Version : 2009 yfz motor

craigs
01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
i was wondering if anybody knew what else yamaha was doing to the yfz besides fuel injection and frame

yfzrider45
01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Diffrent color combinations is one!!!!

ATVMX905
01-27-2008, 09:37 AM
I heard that it will be efi, and i heard they are making a front end change to the frame to give it more rake or something, i dont know what that is though lol.

Dr89
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
they were doing some experimenting with narrowing the front of the frame, just the very bottom two rails that the lower a-arms bolt to....from what i read it didnt seem to make much of a difference but, maybe thats what they're doing.

marketing wise the important thing is that they "make changes" whether or not they really improve the quad much isn't exactly the main concern.

this is a bit off topic but...i was wondering why yamaha doesn't have more pro riders out on the yfz? i'd race the yfz over any other 450 for sure....not tryin to jack the thread craigs ;)

TWILES
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm a hard-core Yamaha fan BUT in order to get me, and I'd say a lot more apparently over-sized people(6'1") , to buy one they are going to have to make standing up easier. I feel like I'm trying to get on a blaster. As for the rake, Laeger and the rest used like 15 degrees on the 250R frames. I don't know why they don't go with that.

#17YFZRACER
01-30-2008, 09:06 PM
im (6'2") and put a rox speed fx bar riser on mine plus rock pro peg nerfs that drop the pegs 3/4" lower than stock and it is comfortable standing up. when it was stock it was a b**** trying to do anything but sit on it.

Toadz400
01-31-2008, 07:10 AM
I don't believe Yamaha really needs to make any big changes with the YFZ. They could narrow the frame more in the front to be similar to the aftermarket 250R frames and similar rake. Also it'd be cool to see something similar to Can-Am's design on the spindle being so much shorter/smaller. As for EFI, I'm not sure if I would want it on the YFZ or not. I have no problem jetting my own and everyone knows electronics can become a hassle for the everyday rider.

I race my YFZ pretty much stock and have no problem keeping up with modded YFZ's and other 450's or 400's.

#17YFZRACER
01-31-2008, 08:53 AM
the yfz's carb is fine :bandit:

coryatver
01-31-2008, 09:32 AM
check this out

http://www.gcnewsgazette.com/articles/2007/07/30/local_news/news31.txt

jshtex
01-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
check this out

http://www.gcnewsgazette.com/articles/2007/07/30/local_news/news31.txt

That is certainly interesting reading, but it seems like he says in there that Ballance finished second in 06. I assume the current year he is talking about is 07. He finished first in 06 didn't he? And if he is wrong about that then what else is he a little off on?

But, new engine, frame and fuel injection sounds good to me. But if he had any chance of running the yami team I would say after that interview it is pretty much over. I can't see yami being to excited about someone giving out all that info.

TWILES
02-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by jshtex I can't see yami being to excited about someone giving out all that info. [/B]

Especially since they can't sell all the ones they have now. I saw a Special Edition 08 for $6400 new the other day.

Toadz400
02-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
Especially since they can't sell all the ones they have now. I saw a Special Edition 08 for $6400 new the other day.

Better for the customer isn't it? I'm not complaining if they're dropping their prices. Makes it easier for normal people to buy them instead of these newer more race-ready quads where most dealerships won't budge on the price.

They probably are having problems selling them because of all the hype of the newer 450's when in fact most people won't need a lot of the things on them. There's always going to be the recreational fast rider where the YFZ provides in all categories.

Toadz400
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
"It took five hours to discuss and explain to the engineers what we were trying to do," said Cornwell. "The funny thing is that I still don't think they fully understand what we were talking about."

Shouldn't they get new engineers? I'm going for Engineering and the most important part of the job is communication and understanding what you're doing. If they don't get what they're trying to do...then why are they the ones designing and building it?

#17YFZRACER
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
talking about all the "hype" on the other 450's most of it is stupid. like the can-am's aluminum frame. its bolted together, that would be worse than welds if you ask me. the only good thing i think would come from that is if you break something you could buy only that part but can-am probably wants hundreds so they can make more money. plus there motor reliability is crap. if you widen out the yfz they are fast as any other 450 out there. i love the snappy power delivery the yfz has. the smoooth power of the suzuki is boring. just my 2 cents:tired:

Toadz400
02-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
talking about all the "hype" on the other 450's most of it is stupid. like the can-am's aluminum frame. its bolted together, that would be worse than welds if you ask me. the only good thing i think would come from that is if you break something you could buy only that part but can-am probably wants hundreds so they can make more money. plus there motor reliability is crap. if you widen out the yfz they are fast as any other 450 out there. i love the snappy power delivery the yfz has. the smoooth power of the suzuki is boring. just my 2 cents:tired:

Sorry dude but are you an engineer or have any clue what you're talking about? I mentioned the hype for the other quads but I do know that Can-Am does know what they are doing. Their engines are very reliable and very strong engines. You can ask anybody that flies or rides sleds. As for their frame, if you don't think it's going to hold up then if I were you I wouldn't be flying in an airline. It's the same technology that holds the airplane's wing together. Much, much stronger than welds and lighter. Trust me, there was a lot of engineering going into that frame and engine.

I love the YFZ and I don't believe all the hype about the new 450's (I would still rather have a Cannondale/ATK) but that doesn't mean they are bad machines. They're all anything but bad.

guy310
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey window lickers. WTF are you dildoes talking about?! Rake is the angle of the steering head on a motorcycle. The reason you would go to a narrower frame where the bottom a-arms bolt to the frame is so that you would reduce bump steer. Bump steer is when your suspension compresses, your wheels will actually steer a little bit, thus making the quad a bit twitchy. As far as that hilljack dumbass from KY jelly goes, Yamaha wouldn't ask anybody whose parents were brother and sister to run their race team for them, even if Billy-Bob Ballance was on the team. ATVA is full of crap for allowing a non-production frame to be run in a chanpionship series, they shafted Chris Borich out of the '07 title. Rules clearly state that production frame geometry cannot be modified, if narrowing the frame is not considered changing the frame geometry then I don't know wtf they are talking about. (they don't either.) And on a side note, those who said the Yami is the best base machine are absolutely correct. I love mine and cannot believe everybody does not feel the same way. I think no other quad is styled quite like a YFZ450 and it is definitely the sexiest machine out there. "Pound for Pound, the greatest fighter in the world"

#17YFZRACER
02-02-2008, 01:11 PM
"Sorry dude but are you an engineer or have any clue what you're talking about? I mentioned the hype for the other quads but I do know that Can-Am does know what they are doing. Their engines are very reliable and very strong engines. You can ask anybody that flies or rides sleds. As for their frame, if you don't think it's going to hold up then if I were you I wouldn't be flying in an airline. It's the same technology that holds the airplane's wing together. Much, much stronger than welds and lighter. Trust me, there was a lot of engineering going into that frame and engine.

I love the YFZ and I don't believe all the hype about the new 450's (I would still rather have a Cannondale/ATK) but that doesn't mean they are bad machines. They're all anything but bad."

i was looking at it in a maintenance point of view. bolts loosen and twist off. im sure you know alot more about it than me. i mentioned the motors because both can-am's 450's didnt finish the pismo beach race. i know there sleds are sick and im sure with a little more work so will there 450.if you go to the ds450 threads they talk about some problems.(leaking coolant and stuff) i didnt mean to piss you off:ermm:

Kennethyfz450
02-02-2008, 01:43 PM
By the way just because you seen a 08 for 6400.00 does not mean they are giving them away. They are probably just competiting with another Yamaha dealer to direct more yamaha sales to there shop instead of another yamaha shop.

Anyhow back in o4 I paid 5999.00 for my o4;) So if anything they went up over the years. :D

d kelley
02-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Lets get this right guys, Rake on a quad is the lower frame/lower A arm mounting point angle measured from zero degree level. The reason Yamaha is using the narrow frame is to gain lower a arm length without making the quad any wider to obtain some negative camber gain during suspension travel which right now they don't have at any at all. This is the reason YFZs don't turn nearly as well as the Honda. If you set a YFZ at 3 degrees negative camber, it stays at 3 degrees negative camber during the entire suspension stroke, a Honda will will gain almost a full degree or more negative camber during the front suspension stroke.

Toadz400
02-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by d kelley
Lets get this right guys, Rake on a quad is the lower frame/lower A arm mounting point angle measured from zero degree level. The reason Yamaha is using the narrow frame is to gain lower a arm length without making the quad any wider to obtain some negative camber gain during suspension travel which right now they don't have at any at all. This is the reason YFZs don't turn nearly as well as the Honda. If you set a YFZ at 3 degrees negative camber, it stays at 3 degrees negative camber during the entire suspension stroke, a Honda will will gain almost a full degree or more negative camber during the front suspension stroke.

If you take a look at the front of the 450R and YFZ frame the YFZ has narrower lower frame rails. I also didn't know the 450R turned better than the YFZ. I own a YFZ and I've ridden a 450R. My YFZ feels like it's on rails compared to the 450R. Only thing I liked about the 450R were the front brakes.

#17YFZRACER - Didn't mean to come off as being pissed off. Just don't want people bashing the Can-Am because of it's differences. The frame is very strong and you don't need to worry about any nuts or bolts coming loose. As for the Rotax, it might be just some flukes with that new engine, even though it is based off an already existing engine. Everyone has their first year flaws. Rotax are known for power and reliability so we should be expecting the same in the DS-450 and any other Can-Am.

Why did the Can-Ams not finish in the Pismo race? As for the coolant leak, sounded like it wasn't a major problem. I'll have to read more into that.

#17YFZRACER
02-03-2008, 09:21 AM
i think they had a crank issue at pismo but dont quote me on that

Toadz400
02-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by #17YFZRACER
i think they had a crank issue at pismo but dont quote me on that

Wow if they had a crank issue that'd be pretty serious. Never heard of any crank issues in a Rotax.

Dr89
02-03-2008, 01:24 PM
the yfz is the best handling 450 i've ridden, the kfx has ONE frame rail that the a-arms bolt to and it still doesnt handle as nicely as the yfz, me and my friend that owns the kfx450 switched and went around his little track a few times and both agreed that even though its not, the yfz feels like its wider, just handles better.

as for yamaha narrowing their frame rails, it would really be just about useless. here's what bill balance has to say about it.

http://www.atvriders.com/interviews/billballance2007.html

Toadz400
02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
the yfz is the best handling 450 i've ridden, the kfx has ONE frame rail that the a-arms bolt to and it still doesnt handle as nicely as the yfz, me and my friend that owns the kfx450 switched and went around his little track a few times and both agreed that even though its not, the yfz feels like its wider, just handles better.

as for yamaha narrowing their frame rails, it would really be just about useless. here's what bill balance has to say about it.

http://www.atvriders.com/interviews/billballance2007.html

Thanks for posting that up. I never check any of the updates on the main page, I really should.

Interesting to find that there was no real improvement over the stock frame. I wouldn't mind seeing a spindle/wheel setup like Can-Am's though.

This gives me some hope: "I’m also really looking forward to the products that Yamaha is coming out with in 2009, I think a lot of people are really going to be freaked out by it." - Bill Ballance

#17YFZRACER
02-04-2008, 04:05 PM
who knows, ballance could just be saying the frame mod didnt help because he has so many people mad about them tweeking the frame. it could have really helped and only yamaha would know. i think it helped but he just wont say, and then again maybe it didnt:confused:your call but i think you will see it on the 09 plus the other new stuff ballance was talking about

Dr89
02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
yea you'll almost definately see it on the 09's because like i said....marketing wise its only important that they "make improvements"

if ballance said it didnt help then it didnt help. besides he's right....look at his wins with AND without it, it didnt get him to the podium any more times with the mod. and everything was done according to the rules so any heat he gets is just dumb anyways....the guy is just good.

guy310
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
He is fantastic, no question, however it was never explained to my satisfaction how you are allowed to modify the frame while changing the original suspension geometry and still be legal. Maybe it is a difference between GNC and GNCC but at MX nationals, thet is absolutely a DQ offense. Intentional or not, "I didn't gain anything or do any better because of it" is not a valid defense for not following the rules. If you rob a bank and you don't get away with any money, the judge doesn't want to hear how you weren't any better off than if you hadn't robbed the bank.

Toadz400
02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda was making changes to their rear end during the race season also, so they are just as "guilty".

I can't wait to see what kind of changes they make to the YFZ for '09 and if they don't make any changes I won't be upset either.

I think the best thing Yamaha could do at this point is make the base level YFZ450, the Bill Ballance XC version, and an MX version with the GYTR extended parts. Just like Cannondale did and just like what KTM, Polaris, and Can-Am are doing.

guy310
02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Making changes to a rear end is not against the rules, altering your frame geometry is.

guy310
02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
And I quote from the GNCC website " XC1 and XC2 (ATV): (0-525cc) Fuel tanks are limited to a 4-gallon maximum capacity. Production models only: OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Frame geometry must remain as designed by the OEM, including all suspension pivot points."

Straight from the horses mouth, no frame geometry modifications, so I don't know how they (Racer Productions) just swept it under the rug. The ATVA should have been looking into that a long time ago. I am not bashing Yami, that is what I own, but rules are rules and everybody has to follow them.

Dr89
02-05-2008, 10:21 AM
could have been they found a loop-hole in that "Frame geometry must remain as designed by the OEM" and YAMAHA was supposedly doing the modifying and testing, and yamaha IS the "OEM" for the yfz...i mean i dont know im just saying maybe thats how they got around it?

oh and btw guy310, dont appreciate all the previous rambling about that "dumb hilljack from ky jelly" or some chit like that...a lot more big name riders come out of kentucky than indiana, and honestly ky does much more for the sport than IN ever has...i've lived in indiana for 16 years so im not bashing it. i'm just saying, you all have what 5 wpsa races a year? where kentucky has ohh...around 14? just saying there are a lot of intelligable people out of kentucky doing things right for the quad industry so i wouldnt be surprised at all if they had someone helping them engineer new frame geometry.

coryatver
02-05-2008, 01:19 PM
they changed the rule this year. and they said they were aloud to do that because it was yamaha testing the frame.

Originally posted by guy310
And I quote from the GNCC website " XC1 and XC2 (ATV): (0-525cc) Fuel tanks are limited to a 4-gallon maximum capacity. Production models only: OEM motor and matching frame combination model required. Frame geometry must remain as designed by the OEM, including all suspension pivot points."

Straight from the horses mouth, no frame geometry modifications, so I don't know how they (Racer Productions) just swept it under the rug. The ATVA should have been looking into that a long time ago. I am not bashing Yami, that is what I own, but rules are rules and everybody has to follow them.

Dr89
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
they said they were aloud to do that because it was yamaha testing the frame.

yea, thats what i thought it probably was

Toadz400
02-05-2008, 02:25 PM
could have been they found a loop-hole in that "Frame geometry must remain as designed by the OEM" and YAMAHA was supposedly doing the modifying and testing, and yamaha IS the "OEM" for the yfz...i mean i dont know im just saying maybe thats how they got around it?

Pretty sure that's the reason why they were able to do what they did. They said it was as R&D testing for future models.

I don't see why anyone is making a big deal out of it, Honda was making changes also.

KENNY HEMMINGS
02-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
they changed the rule this year. and they said they were aloud to do that because it was yamaha testing the frame.

Heard from a very reliable source that HONDA was doing the same
thing in GNCC with the relocation off top shock mount on the rear shock !? so theres no difference its just that BALLANCE and YAMAHA are on top and people have to have something to B!&ch
about, if Borich and Honda would have been on top that long people would B!$ch about them also.

TWILES
02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by KENNY HEMMINGS
Heard from a very reliable source that HONDA was doing the same
thing in GNCC with the relocation off top shock mount on the rear shock !? so theres no difference its just that BALLANCE and YAMAHA are on top and people have to have something to B!&ch
about, if Borich and Honda would have been on top that long people would B!$ch about them also.

The way they want the sport to grow, either "Pro" should still be a "works" class or they should have an "Open/Works" class for things like testing new frames.

Nahum
02-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Do know or do you ever heard of a Yamaha YTR450 upcoming in the year 2010? Moreover there will be a temporary solution in 2009 for the yfz450!?

guy310
02-06-2008, 03:21 PM
That OEM design was not available on the 2007 Yamaha YFZ450 so would not be legal even if it were designed by Mr. Yamaha himself. And what they were doing was public knowledge that every one knew, not " My friends' sisters', cousins', uncles', boyfriend heard from some guy at the Yamaha dealer that Honda was doing the same thing". And I could care less whether some dildo on the internet, typing from his mom's basement no less; appreciates the comments I have about a state where you can't even get a drivers license unless your parents are at least cousins. I heard that you could even get a CDL if your parents were brother and sister. Oh wait, I'm sorry, that's Arkansas.

Dr89
02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
in your first post i thought you were trying to be funny....turns out you really are just dumb. what does it feel like to suck so bad at life? it's gotta suck always being wrong.

my point was that you can't reject what someone posts (the article about the guy helping with the frame) purely based on geographic location....if your going to argue at least make a legitimate point besides "dildo"

TWILES
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
my point was that you can't reject what someone posts (the article about the guy helping with the frame) purely based on geographic location....if your going to argue at least make a legitimate point besides "dildo"

No doubt. As far as Kentucky goes, Larry Flint is from here. How can you say no to Hustler Magazine. ;)

guy310
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I see that got you riled up. It takes so little these days. Everybody gets there feelings hurt so easy. Like a bunch of soft little turds. Oh well. In time, that feeling will pass buddy, don't worry.

#17YFZRACER
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
im farther north than you guy310, there isnt anything wrong with kentucky so take it easy dude:mad: