PDA

View Full Version : bad surface

flaccidracing
01-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I munched the bearings on the rear end. The axle is a durablue +4. The sprocket hub seal surface is just gone. My question is... the surfade on the axle has got some markings and you can definitly feel the damage with finger. Doed this axle need to be replaced? Or will it continue to eat bearings? I really don't want to spend the $$ on durablue again. What about the G-force?

Canadian_Zuk
01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
rebuild the damaged are with JB weld. sand it smooth with fine emery cloth and it should last a long time. I had to do this to an older Bayou drive shaft. the support bearing inside the torque tube went and had spun on the drive shaft so bad the new bearing would just freely slide up and down. I built up the damaged area with JB weld and everything has been great for a few years now. I'd imagine a hub seal surface wouldn't see any loads applied to it, so JB weld should be a perfect fix.

Aceman
01-28-2008, 06:56 AM
JB would be worth a try if you're going to junk the axle anyhow. I used a mig welder to build up my 300ex's axle where it was damaged. Chucked it up in a lathe and turned it back to specs. It's held up so far.