PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 03:13 PM
My Quad is a 416EX now. I got it all back together last night. It fired right up. I'm pretty excited to get it out and break it in. I did some other things to the quad while I had it apart but, the real reason was because of it smoking on start up (valve seals) and compression check numbers were on the low end (piston rings). I did all the work myself with the exception of the bore and hone of the cylinder to 87mm.

87mm (416cc) Wiseco 11:1 High Compression Piston Kit: $109.00
Bore and Hone Cylinder: $75.00
XR400 Head Gasket: $13.00
Complete Gasket Kit including Valve Seals: $52.00
Rejet Carb (42K Pilot, 165K Main, and Needle 4th Slot: $7.00
Total Cost of 416EX Upgrade: $256.00

I did a lot more while I had it torn apart but, that's the basic cost of just the 416cc Hi-Comp Piston Upgrade. Pretty easy to do with a maintnenace manual, basic hand tools, torque wrenches, and a valve spring compression tool.

atvmaster0927
01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Damm! That thing must sound nice.
Why did you bore it so soon? i mean its an 06. what was wrong or did you just want more power? i might get a 416 sometime when i get more money...Nice 416 btw.

Honda#4
01-26-2008, 03:45 PM
He's got the suspension might as well gotten the power increase also.

Hondamaster5505
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
your bike was always one of my favorites.

Now with the suspension, and motor upgrades, its kick ---!

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Were you able to get an 87mm xr400 gasket or did you use a different size? I hope you enjoy your 416 as much as I enjoy mine. Your jetting is surprisingly higher then what I needed. Have you spent much time dialing it in or is this just a what works kind of thing?

JOEX
01-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Congrats!:cool:

Feels good doesn't it;)

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
Damm! That thing must sound nice.
Why did you bore it so soon? i mean its an 06. what was wrong or did you just want more power? i might get a 416 sometime when i get more money...Nice 416 btw.

As I said before, the motor was smoking on start up (worn valve seals) and the the compression check numbers were with in limits but, were on the low end even when I warmed up the motor.

oleboy87
01-26-2008, 06:47 PM
man that thing is sickkkkk!!!! every time i see it i wish it was minee!!!!!!! it getts better and better every time i see it

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Were you able to get an 87mm xr400 gasket or did you use a different size? I hope you enjoy your 416 as much as I enjoy mine. Your jetting is surprisingly higher then what I needed. Have you spent much time dialing it in or is this just a what works kind of thing?

The stock XR400 gasket was large enough (88mm) to use unmodified. It's a little thinner than 400EX head gasket and it adds a bit more compression.

The jetting is a good starting point. It may have to go up or down from here. I will dial it in. I also have an EHS Racing lid, HMF Slip-On, and Stage 1 Hotcam.

mat1977
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Q.O.T.M.

oleboy87
01-26-2008, 07:07 PM
yea i agree you should enter QOTM but are you planning on getting a header for it? it might help the performance..

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Unfortunatley, the Wife has stepped in and said "Enough is Enough". No more upgrades.

I will enter it in the next QOTM open month.

Honda#4
01-26-2008, 07:22 PM
That's a big disapointment. Go out and breaker then you got a reason to get more LOL!

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
That's a big disapointment. Go out and breaker then you got a reason to get more LOL!

She's so ready to make me sell it. I promised I wouldn't spend anymore money on my quad. This is all I did this time around.

1.) Wiseco 87mm (416cc) 11:1 Hi-Compression Piston Kit
2.) AMR Racing Monster Coil
3.) XR400 Head Gasket (thinner than stock)
4.) Hotcams Stage 1 Cam Shaft
5.) AMR Racing Stage 3 Rev Box
6.) CRF450 Cam Chain
7.) EBC DRC HD Clutch Kit with HD Clutch Springs
8.) iShocks i5500 Front Suspension Kit
9.) Rebuilt, Tuned, and Resprung Stock Rear Shock (iShocks)
10.) Steel Braided Rear Brake Line to Match Front Brakes
11.) Durablue +2 +4 Eliminator Axle
12.) Anodized Black Rad-Loc Axle Nut
13.) All Balls Rear Axle Bears and Seals
14.) Replaced Swing Arm Bolt and Bearings
15.) Replaced Front Wheel Hub Bearings and Seals
16.) Gibson 7 Way adjustable Steering Stabilizor
17.) Black Powder Coated Tinner Scoops
18.) New Viton Valve Seals
19.) Rejetted: 42K Pilot, 165K Main, and Needle Clip 4th Slot Down

That's on top of the other mods I've already done. I paid $5,799 for the quad out the door back in early 2006 and spent another $6,235 in aftermarket parts and improvements. I have a total of $12,034 invested in my quad now.

my88r
01-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Good to hear.:macho

TRXRacer1
01-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
The stock XR400 gasket was large enough (88mm) to use unmodified. It's a little thinner than 400EX head gasket and it adds a bit more compression.

The jetting is a good starting point. It may have to go up or down from here. I will dial it in. I also have an EHS Racing lid, HMF Slip-On, and Stage 1 Hotcam. Cool Cool, she's looking pretty good! Since the wife won't let you get the header yet have you cleaned the welds up near the mounting flanges for the stock unit? Mine was really goobered and I gained a mm or 2 just doing that.

08400EX
01-27-2008, 07:11 AM
She's so ready to make me sell it. I promised I wouldn't spend anymore money on my quad.

You can always look around and find some stuff you no longer need or use and put it on Ebay. Then you can build up a Paypal "slush" account to use to buy more goodies without the wife making you feel quilty :-)

For example I sold enough stuff like that last week to pay for my Hipers. My wife never mentions anything to me about spending money for and on toys (she is into them almost as much as I am). BUT, I find I don't feel quilty when I spend money for some of the things like that using my "slush" account..

BTW, congrats on the new upgrades! Can't wait to hear your feedback when you get it all broke in.

hornetgod13
01-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Cool Cool, she's looking pretty good! Since the wife won't let you get the header yet have you cleaned the welds up near the mounting flanges for the stock unit? Mine was really goobered and I gained a mm or 2 just doing that.

I did look at that but, I didn't want to weaken the welds and break one when I cranked it back down in place with the new exhaust gaskets and 20 ft lbs of torque on the exhaust header nuts.

hornetgod13
01-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
You can always look around and find some stuff you no longer need or use and put it on Ebay. Then you can build up a Paypal "slush" account to use to buy more goodies without the wife making you feel quilty :-)

BTW, congrats on the new upgrades! Can't wait to hear your feedback when you get it all broke in.

I keep all the stock parts. If I ever do sell it, they are going back on and I will sell all the aftermarket parts separately. The only stock parts I sold were the tires and rims and I regret that now even though I got $550 for them. They were in great shape. Now, if I sell my quad in the future I will have to sell the Tech 3 hipers with the quad or find another set of stock tires to buy.

I can't wait for the weather to improve. I really want to take it out and tear it up. I have a lot of things to test out.

TRXRacer1
01-27-2008, 10:34 AM
I did look at that but, I didn't want to weaken the welds and break one when I cranked it back down in place with the new exhaust gaskets and 20 ft lbs of torque on the exhaust header nuts. You just grind off the extra weld, not the stuff that's actually making contact. I did mine a couple years ago and haven't had any problems. It doesn't take much to make a strong bond when it's welded all the way around like that. The factory weld has good penetration. If you look close there is a lot of weld left in there after grinding it down. To finish it I radiused that edge a little.

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/headergrind.jpg

hornetgod13
01-27-2008, 10:42 AM

http://miltechsolutions.tripod.com/offroad/wata/headergrind.jpg

Damn! That's good work. Nice job. :macho

08400EX
01-27-2008, 10:44 AM
I keep all the stock parts. If I ever do sell it, they are going back on and I will sell all the aftermarket parts separately. The only stock parts I sold were the tires and rims and I regret that now even though I got $550 for them. They were in great shape. Now, if I sell my quad in the future I will have to sell the Tech 3 hipers with the quad or find another set of stock tires to buy.

I can't wait for the weather to improve. I really want to take it out and tear it up. I have a lot of things to test out.

I didn't mean the stock parts, I am like you I never sell the stock parts for the same reason. I always put the stock parts in the boxes the aftermarket parts came in and store in the attic.

I meant others things, for example I was up in the attic and found my old Sport Bike Helmet. I hadn't used it in years and don't plan on having a Sport bike again. I put the helmet on Ebay, it sold in less than an hour and paid for over half of my Hipers!!

TRXRacer1
01-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Damn! That's good work. Nice job. :macho Thanks! Power tools first then finish with the hand tools.

How's the AMR rev box? Does it add power everywhere, make starting any different or does it just up the RPMs?

hornetgod13
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks! Power tools first then finish with the hand tools.

How's the AMR rev box? Does it add power everywhere, make starting any different or does it just up the RPMs?

I haven't gotten out to test the AMR Monster Coil or Stage 3 Rev Box yet but, I have read good reviews on both. It starts right up with no issues. I'll let you know later.

I took your advice and ground down the welds on the header pipes like you suggested and took before and after pictures and measurements.

I even started a thread on it. Check it out.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=334885