PDA

View Full Version : new cams.

kawi_rider_97
01-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm thinkin about puttin hot cams in my kfx and I was wonderin 1st if there was a company that made a better came for the kfx and if you have to re shim it when you install the new cams? thanks.

sandstar
01-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Theres web cams also. and yes you do have to reshim. I would also suggest stronger springs for the valves.

TheNewn
01-26-2008, 04:52 PM
I would suggest the Hot cams stage 2's. Stiffer springs, shims, and the Kibble White stainless valves as well. That would be a package that would last/be reliable.

One issue im not sure about, is the stainless valves and the hot cams and if their wearing properties would be different and have one or the other wear out too fast because of the other...

kawi_rider_97
01-26-2008, 08:40 PM
well hot cams only makes a stage 1 for the z/kfx, is there a whole lot of difference in the power between the web cams and hot cams? cause web cams duration is 248 and hotcams is 238, so would there be much more of a power diff? cause the web is almost a 100$ more.

cataway
01-28-2008, 04:16 AM
and ya can mix them up, one hot cam one web cam or what ever

doordie4x4
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
i did the hot cams stage 1 intake and exhaust with kibble white valve springs for the drz400 while the motor was fresh but broken in and every thing was in spec as far as shims go if i had to do it all over again i would probably look at a little bit more agressive cam but the hot cams create a good smooth power band also hot cams doesnt require a core charge you keep your stock cams

sales8807
02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
what would be the CC's change?

doordie4x4
02-01-2008, 10:56 PM
with changing the cams there is no change in displacement just how much more air you can cram into the cylinder

sales8807
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
so how much gain are we talkin when getting a hotcam? its just mid range power right?

doordie4x4
02-01-2008, 11:21 PM
actually it depends, if you want some bottom end power you can put the hot cams intake on and keep the stock exhaust cam and you will have more on the bottom or you can replace both and it will lose a little low end power but it will pick up a ton on the mid to upper range like my sig says i bumped the compression to make up for the lack of low end and the thing almost comes on like a two stroke but a little bit smoother i ride a little bit of everything from dunes to woods to open ohv park here in sacramento and with the stock gearing it is a blast to ride, its easy to control but when you crack the throttle in the dunes it moves

kawi_rider_97
02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
so I should put a 13:5:1 piston with the intake and exhaust hot cams? and get the most power or should I use a different cam to get more duration cause hot cams is 238 and I found web cams that are 248, so should I go with those or will there be much of a difference between those to cams?

doordie4x4
02-02-2008, 09:11 AM
i took the easy way out and just changed out the base gasket for one out of a drz400 which takes it to 12.2:1 comp ratio instead of puting a new piston in, and also the hot cams are the same part number for the drz, the reason i did it that way is i didn't want to have to deal with piston to valve clearance, now how close it really is im not quite sure. if the difference is just 10 degrees of duration then there wont be a ton of difference but if my memory serves me correctly i thought that the web cams offer a little more lift also. I cant say from a ton of experience but i would say that a bump in comp+mild cams is worth more than just a set of more agressive cams besides bumping the compression gives power throughout the entire rpm band

kawi_rider_97
02-02-2008, 09:42 AM
so do you think i would get good results with the hot cams and hi comp piston or should i go with the webs and high comp piston?

doordie4x4
02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
it depends i was looking at web cams website and hot cams and if you want more performance then the stage 2 web cams are good but the hot cams stage 1 is a little more agressive than the stage 1 web cams, and to say that you are going to feel a seat of the pants difference between the three is probably stretching it any that you go with is going to give an improvement but i do recomend that if you go with both intake and exhaust bump the compression to get some of the bottom end back that you loose using the aftermarket exhaust cam i went with hot cams cause they were cheaper so its really down to price factor and also the hot cams come with the compression release web cams does not both have no core charge

01z400
02-09-2008, 10:39 PM
Keep eye out for some old style hotcams. They are a little more aggressive. go ahead and get the shim kit cuz u will need it. Need any more info send me a message

sales8807
02-09-2008, 10:48 PM
i was thinking about getting some hotcams in my Z if you all could give me some links and what to buy id appreciate it, thanks alot!