PDA

View Full Version : installing a chain

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 07:59 AM
how hard is it to install a chain on the 400ex?? do i need any special tools

ThreeDollaBills
01-26-2008, 08:27 AM
All you need is a 17mm socket for the sprocket. I'm not sure but I think you have to take the guard off of the front sprocket as well. If you look in between the sprocket and the axle carrier there will be a little thing that you have to turn either up or down to tighten the chain after the new one is on. Last night I took my chain off and I just unbolted the socket from the axle, but I wouldn't doubt if there was an easier way of doing it. That's just an option.

drew416ex
01-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Do you still have the stock chain. If so it will have to be cut off. If not there should be a master link with a clip that you can pop off with a screw driver or something. Then take out the master link and the chain will slide off. Replace you sprokets and chain and your good to go. Not hard at all.

440challenger
01-26-2008, 09:52 AM
you dont have to take anything off...
New chain? first thing you do is loosen the 4 allen bolts on the swing arm that pinches the carrier ,then turn the carrier so that the axle is as far foward as possible.(this gives you adjustment for the future ,so when your chain stretches you dont have to take another link out) Take your new chain and run it on the sprockets (bike in neutral rear tires off the ground) and see where you need to cut it. You can use a bench grinder or hand held grinder to grind the heads off the link and then use a chisel but a better way to do it would to be a motion pro chain breaker. Just remember,taking out one link goes a long way!!

Hard to explain how to do it all while typing , but i hope this gives you a general idea.

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
the old chain is already off and so is the front sprocket. Lost the bolts for the sprocket what size are they? do I need to put the guard back on or not really?

ThreeDollaBills
01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
I would keep the guard on if possible. Cuz almost anything like a stick or rock gets in there off goes your chain, and if you chain pops off in the front it can be a mess.

drew416ex
01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by STEVER925
the old chain is already off and so is the front sprocket. Lost the bolts for the sprocket what size are they? do I need to put the guard back on or not really?

Im wanting to say the thread is a M6x1.00. I may be wrong but I think thats it. You can find that size at home depot or lowes

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
whats that mean 6mm at 1inch long?

CarGuy7a
01-26-2008, 02:30 PM
if your putting a new chain on you shouldn't have to cut or hack anything. just order a chain breaker tool. it makes it so much easier.

also on chains i don't recomend running a master link. they're ok for a quick fix but it doesn't take much for it to wear out a break and then you're screwed.

my cousin had a scrambler that had a master link in the chain he let me ride it around the field and it broke. i had to push the thing back to his truck (NOT FUN).

drew416ex
01-26-2008, 03:22 PM
6mm is the diameter of the bolt. 1.00 is the # of threads. And as far as carguy saying dont run a master link, ive never had a problem with mine. I had one on a chain for three years once and didnt have a problem with it wearing out or comming off.

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks for all the help guys. I always used to run the master like on my renthal gold chain when I used to race.

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks for all the help guys. I always used to run the master like on my renthal gold chain when I used to race.

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by STEVER925
thanks for all the help guys. I always used to run the master like on my renthal gold chain when I used to race. Don't worry about the master link. I've been riding for over 20 years and have snapped a chain or two. Not one was at the master link. I'm not saying it's never happened but it's not something to worry about.