PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil

maeziesdad
01-25-2008, 10:13 PM
How do you fellas feel about amsoil being run in a 400ex?

drew416ex
01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I have it in mine and it runs great. When i switched to amsoil it started running smoother and seemed to run a little cooler.

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 07:10 AM
The main reason you run synthetic is to extend oil life. Amsoil is a good product but no better then any name brand synthetic. Don't spend too much to get it and don't even bother if you change your oil a lot. I change my oil in my ex too often to run synthetic but my cars on the other hand I do run it in because I extend my intervals.

drew416ex
01-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
The main reason you run synthetic is to extend oil life. Amsoil is a good product but no better then any name brand synthetic. Don't spend too much to get it and don't even bother if you change your oil a lot. I change my oil in my ex too often to run synthetic but my cars on the other hand I do run it in because I extend my intervals.

Thats not true. Maybe that was the purpose for synthetics to begin with, but newer synthetics are much better than that. They actually have better wear protection than conventional oils do now. You can find this out if you do an oil analysis. Do one with conventional and do one with a good synthetic and you will find out that synthetic isnt only good for extended drain intervals.

440challenger
01-26-2008, 09:54 AM
i find that the amsoil is too slippery for the clutch.

drew416ex
01-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger

Not if you get the motorcycle oil that is wet clutch safe.

440challenger
01-26-2008, 12:05 PM
mcf01 is the motorcycle 10 40

atvmaster0927
01-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 440challenger

Thats what i heard too about synthetic. Thats why i never used synthetic...i just use honda 10w 40. It gets the job done...

Rip_Tear
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Get the Blue Cap 5w50 Amsoil, thats the stuff. No clutch slipage. My ex is an 01 with a lot of hours, all I've run is Amsoil since I've had it. Clutch bearly has any wear. I know it has to do with the rider as well.

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Thats not true. Maybe that was the purpose for synthetics to begin with, but newer synthetics are much better than that. They actually have better wear protection than conventional oils do now. You can find this out if you do an oil analysis. Do one with conventional and do one with a good synthetic and you will find out that synthetic isnt only good for extended drain intervals. Gonna have to disagree here Drew. For my own information I use Blackstone for oil analysis which is a reputable place. For added info one can't go wrong with "Bob is the oil guy". The place is loaded with oil freaks. Check it out, you may enjoy it. There's hundreds of analysis to look at and thousands of posts discussing this very type of thing. Even these guys who live to get their oil analyzed will say the added benefits of using synthetic for short intervals, in a 4-stroke, is negligible. Now 2-stroke mix oil is a different story.

As far as synthetic being bad for clutches you're spot on. You just need to get the right kind for the application.

maeziesdad
01-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for all your advice and feel free to keep it coming.