PDA

View Full Version : Blue Flame.......

bloodmoney23
01-25-2008, 05:46 PM
hey guys, was checking the fourwheeler tonight and getting everything ready for race tomorrow. Well i ran the fourwheeler for about 20 min to warm up good, took it around the block then let it run in garage. Everytime i pinned the throttle i was shooting blue flames about 3-6 inches out the exhaust. Normal or should I worry? I do have my race tomorrow and i dont need to blow my motor. By the way, Chad if you read this thread, im going to be giving you a call soon cause to be honest i dont think my motor will hold over a whole year as is. Im pretty sure I have bad valve seals and not to sure if the crank bearing is gonna hold up.

01-25-2008, 07:30 PM
I would think that would be unburned fuel coming out.

chad502ex
01-25-2008, 07:32 PM
:macho:

be sure to check your exhaust head pipe nuts tight against your cylinder head...

if your head pipe is loose it can cause flames when the air is pulled into the hot exhaust gasses within the head pipe and re-ignite...

only takes a few seconds to double check...

then,... after the race ship your engine.... wahooo!

bloodmoney23
01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
:macho:

be sure to check your exhaust head pipe nuts tight against your cylinder head...

if your head pipe is loose it can cause flames when the air is pulled into the hot exhaust gasses within the head pipe and re-ignite...

only takes a few seconds to double check...

then,... after the race ship your engine.... wahooo!

head bolts are tight, its actually on my weekly maintenance now to check. the military got me in the whole routine of preventive maintenance checks and services. the motor ran really good out there. the HRC cam is def not the best cam for MX. i will prolly give youa call tomorrow chad, ive had pneumonia or however you spell it for the past week and didnt know it. the race tonight intensified it so bad im on a in-home ventilator right now cause i cant breath to good on my own. but something dont sound right with my valve train. its got a pretty nice whine to it now. So ill call tomorrow and we can see what i can afford. im pretty well tapped on cash but with this supposed tax refund bonuses i should be able to do something good. talk to ya tomorrow man.

Drewltr450
01-26-2008, 07:23 PM
could be running to rich

bloodmoney23
01-26-2008, 08:52 PM
185 its too lean so im running a 190 main and 190 w/ a 50 slow is still to lean so im at 190 main and 52 slow. so if anything its still running a little lean. but regardless im going to buy one of chads FCR Carbs and have my motor rebuilt and some headwork then i shouldnt have to worry for another 2 years and by then ill just get a new one and start over. to be honest i think my valves are just shot.

chad502ex
01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
sounds like a great plan.... the engine is more than likely due for a rebuild like you suggest.

NJ450rider
01-27-2008, 09:46 AM
I have about what you do done to my 05 450r and i run a 210 main and a 52 pilot with the hrc needle. Id guess its still lean. Did it pop while you rode it?

wayfastwhitey69
01-27-2008, 10:54 AM
190? what do u have for a pipe?

bloodmoney23
01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
I have about what you do done to my 05 450r and i run a 210 main and a 52 pilot with the hrc needle. Id guess its still lean. Did it pop while you rode it?

we are also at much different elevations and such. at 35º it ran perfect w/ no pops or bogs or hesitations. at 5º like at the race it ran like sh*t so i know it was too lean for the colder weather but we also werent expecting it to be that much colder up there than here. the race was about an hour north of me and the temp was 20º colder there than here (lake effect). and i run a sparks racing pipe so you know wayfast. I also have an 05 so a 190 is normal. I am prolly gonna jump it to a 195 for the rest of the cold weather and just leave it there. I think a 210 would be way too rich for me here.

NJ450rider
01-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Hah yeah im at sea level and your higher up i bet so you should be running a bigger main jet than me!

My plugs always come out a perfect golden brown in the middle with a lil black around the outside.

d3ktrix
01-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I've seen blue flames happen on lean bikes AND rich bikes.

But since u say it ran fine at 35degrees but starting shooting flames at 5degrees most likely your lean.
Not surprised that u need a rejet in a 30degree temp change.

Once the temps around here drop below 45 I need to run at least a 190MJ.
I've never ran my bike in 5degree weather but I'm sure it would need close to a 195-200MJ to run right.

I'd say keep going higher with the main and see if it clears up.

bloodmoney23
01-28-2008, 09:22 AM
2 days after the race and its f***ing 45º out. I hate the GD weather here. Well i am prolly gonna go with the 195 and see how it works in this 45º weather and just leave it untill spring when it starts hitting the 60's and 70's. but D3ktrix, it started shooting the flame when it was running great in 35º didnt do it at the races when it was cold. i dont know. im not really worried about it no more. im too sick to care if my bike is sick or not.