PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Problems

DSRider450
01-25-2008, 02:41 PM
After waiting months for my DS450 to come. I get it home i start it up ride around for a few minutes then i went to go ride it again and i get this screaching noise from the clutch like the clutch plates are sticking or somthing. Has anyone else had this problem or knows what it could possibly be. Any input would help and this noise only happens when I start going from a dead stop.

ThePhantomRider
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
I have heard of one case where another owner had heard somthing and found out there was a bolt that was not torqued down properly. I'd take it to the dealer and have it checked out.

I've spoken to dozens of owners up to this point and this is the second issue similar in nature regarding the clutch.

The one I rode had about 25 hours on the motor and everything was fine, even after heating the clutch up there was no wierd noises or fade.

TPR

BSTURDIVANT
01-25-2008, 06:42 PM
The clutch on the DS will make a slight squeel after sitting and the oil drains out but doesn't hurt performance! goes away once you have the initial squeel- They put hard plates in to withstand the extra punishment- but at a price of a little noise!

DSRider450
01-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Its not a little noise its very loud

BSTURDIVANT
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
If the noise goes away after running awhile, it's common to all the DS's!- Ride it hard and it will go away!

DSRider450
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Do you think it makes the noise when your moving and i just cant hear it.

Kevlar
01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
I rode an X model today and heard the same squeal on takeoff. I came on the forum just to post this and I see this topic. Hmmmmmm.

Another little minor thing was one of the cheezy black plastic hub caps fell off after the test drive and they are impossible to get back on. I checked the other side and it fell off too with just a little fingernail pry. For an $8,000+ machine, you think BRP would put a little more thought into those.

Punk'd
01-28-2008, 01:46 PM
I don't think this noise is an issue. It's only on take off and it just sounds like the clutch engageing.

DSRider450
01-29-2008, 03:53 PM
I took my ds into the dealer ship yesterday they took it apart and call brp tech and they said its like that on every ds450 so i guess its normal but it seems weird for that to be normal.

shanester22
01-30-2008, 08:29 AM
I had a few bugs with my clutch in the first ride (15 mins) and brp has taken really good care of me regaurding the clutch issue and the axle....the rep also said to me that out of the area i live (central fl.) only 30 bike have been sold. mine was one of 3 that had issues from the factory. i love my bike and can't wait to cut the pink wire and haul some serious A**!!!!