PDA

View Full Version : Timing Chain Help

gregrob
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Long story short, I didn't loctite the cam bolts when I installed the hotcam stage 2. DOH!

The cam bolts worked loose and stripped out the bolts, and when it threw the timing chain it knotted it up down inside the case.

It looks like I need to split the case or at least go at it from the bottom end.

What all do I need to take apart to get the chain free? Is it going to be a tough job? Should I attempt w/out a service manual?

Exrider434
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
if you take off the clutch cover and clutch, you should be able to get at it down at the bottom, i dropped the decompression spring down in there and thats what i had to do.....:eek2:

gregrob
01-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Gotcha, so I can just take it apart and put it back together without disturbing the clutch packs, nothing tricky?

I guess this would be a good time to do a new clutch too since it's the original and doesn't really like the power of the 416 + 300lbs + heavy wet sand :chinese:

hornetgod13
01-25-2008, 04:29 PM
To remove the cam chain you DO have to pull the clutch, oil pump, and main drive gear. I suggest an impact gun, that's a huge help.

JOEX
01-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by gregrob
I guess this would be a good time to do a new clutch too since it's the original and doesn't really like the power of the 416 + 300lbs + heavy wet sand :chinese:
Probably a good idea... HD clutch springs are nice too:)