PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

yamaha1470
11-04-2001, 07:07 AM
After a days riding what else do u do besides?

-Clean it up.
-Lube the chain.
-Check the oil.
-Gas it up.
-Put it away.

yamaha1470
11-04-2001, 07:11 AM
sorry i forgot to add what chain lube do u all use and what do u use to clean it up thanx

11-04-2001, 11:07 AM
Well bro, I use Chain Wax. I've read a few other threads that discussed first cleaning the chain with WD-40, then whiping it down with a rag, this is done before the wax. I find this works well. Everything else you listed sounds about right for the exception of inspecting and cleaning your air filter.

trueblue450
11-05-2001, 07:03 PM
I usually do this after one weekend of riding.

1) wash with whisk and water (1/4 liquid laundry detergant 3/4 water)
2) Get out the bel-ray lubricant, and lube all the joints and points that move
3) Lube the chain up with bel-ray chain lube
4) Clean the air filter (bout every 2-3 weeks)
5) Give her a little armoral for the shine
6) Give it an overal inspection (Brake fluid, shocks, bolts, buttons, brakes, anything that is important)
7) Gas it
8) Shes ready for the next ride.

400ex Magnum
11-06-2001, 04:00 PM
This may seem a little excessive, but where I ride, the mud will ruin machines quickly that are not maintained.

1. Wash the vehicle with a Wisk solution or simple green solution. This usually requires some elbow grease also.

2. Clean the chain with Kerosene and a soft scrub brush. Kerosene will not harm o rings and cleans the old wax off.

3. Relube the chain with Maxim chain wax once the chain is dry. I generally ride the machine a ways to get the chain warm before application.

4. Clean and reoil the air filter. Also, wipe out the airbox.

5. Disassemble the brakes (all three), clean well, inspect, and reassemble. Seems a little excessive, but the mud at Wayne National Forest can ruin stock brake pads in only a few rides.

6. Inspect the frame for rust spots where the powder coating has gotten rubbed off. I generally repaint these with gray spray paint just to keep the rust from setting in.

7. Check the air pressure in all the tires.

8. Spray plastic areas with Son of a Gun protectant to add shine.

Hope this helps.