PDA

View Full Version : Best factory shocks?

Hitt99
01-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Which are the best factory shocks to use? the YFZ's Or the TRX's. I don't race and don't want to pay for aftermarkets. I would send the factory shock to have the set up for me. Also, who would be the best company to do the revalve?

Thanks,
Chris

Colby@C&DRacing
01-25-2008, 08:33 AM
What atv are you going to put them on?

Hitt99
01-25-2008, 11:51 PM
the Blaster I have

DEVINF450R
01-26-2008, 08:11 AM
I liked YFZ's stock suspension better but not sure what is best to get reworked... honda has a much longer shock

trx400EXtreme
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
i think the YFZ shocks are way better then the TRX shocks. the honda shocks are a little stiff imo.

z40021
01-30-2008, 10:40 PM
I think YFZ would work better on a blaster. I have only ran the TRX shocks so I couldnt say. But I hear that both GT Thunder and Derisie Racing are great for stock rebuilds.

my88r
01-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by z40021
I hear that both GT Thunder and Derisie Racing are great for stock rebuilds.

i seconded that.

LTR98 Rick
02-03-2008, 04:29 PM
When i had a blaster i used YFZ shocks and a-arms, they worked pretty good but nothing beats aftermarket if you have $$.
http://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/04/19/bikepics-568531-800.jpg

ohsobad_chevy
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by LTR98 Rick
......they worked pretty good but nothing beats aftermarket if you have $$.

Yessir!! Rebuilds are pretty good, but they will never offer the performance of an aftermarket shock.

Hitt99
02-06-2008, 06:01 AM
what would be a rough est. for all three of the yfz shocks revalved for mx?

ohsobad_chevy
02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Hitt99
what would be a rough est. for all three of the yfz shocks revalved for mx?

Not to disrespect our shock builders......they do awesome work. But racing mx on revalves is not a good idea. You will be doing yourself a favor by ordering aftermarket shocks. Make sure you get them valved exactly for how you ride and your weight, having a shock set up correctly sure goes a long way.

Just my 2 pennies.

dustin_j
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I think C&D would charge around $700 for all 3 revalves, but ask him for sure. ohsobad is probably right, in the long run for an A class mx racer. If you're just going out to have fun you'll be alright on revavles. If you're only C class, you could buy the shocks and try to adjust them to fit your needs and wait on the revalves. Just my opinion.

JOEX
02-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Not to disrespect our shock builders......they do awesome work. But racing mx on revalves is not a good idea. You will be doing yourself a favor by ordering aftermarket shocks. Make sure you get them valved exactly for how you ride and your weight, having a shock set up correctly sure goes a long way.

Just my 2 pennies.
What's so bad about racing rebuilt/revalved stockers?

400exrider707
02-06-2008, 09:28 PM

Just my 2 pennies.

You have obviously never rode on them... this statement is a joke. Revalves get set up more precise than most aftermarket shocks anyways. I prefer my revalves over LT setups I have rode.

Hitt99
02-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Nah, I don't race just like to run tracks and very argg. trails. But also my son is starting to ride it. I bottom it out on jumps.

ohsobad_chevy
02-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
You have obviously never rode on them... this statement is a joke. Revalves get set up more precise than most aftermarket shocks anyways. I prefer my revalves over LT setups I have rode.

I have rode rebuilds and I have rode several aftermarket shocks......the aftermarket shocks have outperformed the rebuilds, hands down.
I am stating my opinion based on my personal observations. I did not feel the performance out of rebuilds that I could feel in the aftermarket shock.

ben300
02-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I have rode rebuilds and I have rode several aftermarket shocks......the aftermarket shocks have outperformed the rebuilds, hands down.
I am stating my opinion based on my personal observations. I did not feel the performance out of rebuilds that I could feel in the aftermarket shock.

ohsobad...i agree...aftermarkets way out perform stockers, even rebuilds. sure rebuilds are fine and dandy if your just an average c class rider or just messing around in your back field, but aftermarket way out performs rebuilds. I mean, ive ridden both and i think that if rebuilds were as great as everyone cracks them up to be, then we'd see top pro's running them. i think there are way to many ppl on here with an affinity for rebuils.

yfz rebuilds would probably be ok on a blaster if you were just joy riding it...

A A R O N
02-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by ben300
ohsobad...i agree...

then we'd see top pro's running them. i think

I know of at least one and I have a feeling there will be a couple more in the future.

duke416ex
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by A A R O N
I know of at least one and I have a feeling there will be a couple more in the future.

And his shocks were rebuilt and revalved for every track that he was on last year. The biggest problem I ever had was shock fade. The way to prevent that is by servicing them every race and therefore he never saw any or atleast very little fade on his shocks. How many regular racers, or riders do you know that can afford to have shocks serviced every race? I think that revalves have their place and I do own some, but I prefer aftermarket shocks on my race bike. Sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't really mean for it to, it was jmo.

ben300
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM

who?

400exrider707
02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Pros dont run rebuilds for the most part, because then aftermarket shock companies cant sell you shiny expensive shocks. If they were all running rebuilds, would you be dropping thousands on LT setups? Probably not.

For those of you saying you think aftermarkets outperform rebuilds... in what way? Were such mentioned shocks set up for the exact same quad and for your weight? I find this interesting considering most rebuilds are more fine tuned than any aftermarket shock you buy. They have tighter weight tolerances. Also a shock builder can certainly build a shock well, but in the end it's the shock user that makes it work...

02-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Pros dont run rebuilds for the most part, because then aftermarket shock companies cant sell you shiny expensive shocks. If they were all running rebuilds, would you be dropping thousands on LT setups? Probably not.

For those of you saying you think aftermarkets outperform rebuilds... in what way? Were such mentioned shocks set up for the exact same quad and for your weight? I find this interesting considering most rebuilds are more fine tuned than any aftermarket shock you buy. They have tighter weight tolerances. Also a shock builder can certainly build a shock well, but in the end it's the shock user that makes it work...

I agree. If stock rebuild are using the same type of internals and valving but set up een better than factory aftermarkets then why wouldnt stock rebuilds be better? Not sure how many know this but you are not getting the same shock as the pros. It may look like the same shock externally but internally they are different. Companies do this so they get big name riders using their stuff and someone will say wow those shocks must be really good because such and such usees them. Go ahead and buy the exact same setup from the company and I bet you its not the same internally. I'm pretty sure they go the extra distance to make the pros above the rest because they are making the company money.

ohsobad_chevy
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
And his shocks were rebuilt and revalved for every track that he was on last year. The biggest problem I ever had was shock fade. The way to prevent that is by servicing them every race and therefore he never saw any or atleast very little fade on his shocks. How many regular racers, or riders do you know that can afford to have shocks serviced every race? I think that revalves have their place and I do own some, but I prefer aftermarket shocks on my race bike. Sorry if that sounded rude, I didn't really mean for it to, it was jmo.

Exactly!!! Shock fade is the fine line between an aftermarket shock and rebuilds. Rebuilds tend to get "overworked" which then leads to heat, which is the reason why shocks fail. Aftermarket shocks deter heat better and are simply made to perform to higher standards.

I agree on the whole advertising thing as well and they do sell them for a pretty penny, but there are obvious reasons, other than being paid, that the pros are running the aftermarket shocks versus rebuilds.

As I and others stated above, shock fade is the number 1 reason why rebuilds are obsolete to aftermarket shocks. Rebuilds cannot take the abuse and still offer good performance like an aftermarket shock.
The rebuilds that I rode were XC valved and sprung for a 180 pound rider......I weigh 185, so I doubt that 5 pounds would hinder their performance.
I rode an LTR with revalves and once again, the difference was very apparent to me.

Everyone can have their own opinion and they should, like I stated previously, I am going off my personal observations. To me, the difference in rebuilds and aftermarket is noticeable enough to me, to justify spending the extra money on aftermarket shocks.

Last time I checked, just to have a shock revalved (not resprung, too) was $500 for the front 2 shocks and another $375 for the rear......not justifiable to me. :)

duke416ex
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Actually, if you want to spend the dough you can have the same shocks that the pros do have. The big difference isn't always the shock itself so much as the amount of time and research put into fine tuning and trying new things.

Pros are the testers of the new equipment. They spend a lot of time testing and fine tuning their suspension, a lot more time than average racers. They also spend a lot of time trying new things which will eventually make it to the market. So they may be running something that isn't available YET, but if it works good it will be available in the near future and remember just b/c they have it doesn't always mean it is good.

About the internals, most shocks use the same TYPE of internals which is the shim stack and valve. PEP and Works use a different check ball system I believe is right which Colby has talked about on here before. While the type may be the same, after market shocks most usually have a lot higher quality of parts in them and also a little different system on the adjusters on some brands than can be placed on the stockers. So it isn't really the type but the quality.

As far as pros running them, Brandon Summers and I believe Taylor Kiser did also last year, but I am pretty sure Taylor won't be this year.

Oh, and there are people out there who will take the time to set your suspension up to perform just as well as the pros, and I don't mean you send them your shocks. I mean ride with you, work with you, and help you understand your suspension, but it will cost you, you gotta pay to play.

02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
C&D charges $700 for the whole "sha-bang-a-bang" Revalve and resprung all 3 shocks for $700 isnt bad at all. Go try and buy aftermarket with the adjustments stock has and perform as well for the front and rear for that kind of money. It wont happen. For aftermarket front with the adjustments like stock would easily cost your more than $700, thn the rear is even more.

ben300
02-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Actually, if you want to spend the dough you can have the same shocks that the pros do have. The big difference isn't always the shock itself so much as the amount of time and research put into fine tuning and trying new things.

Pros are the testers of the new equipment. They spend a lot of time testing and fine tuning their suspension, a lot more time than average racers. They also spend a lot of time trying new things which will eventually make it to the market. So they may be running something that isn't available YET, but if it works good it will be available in the near future and remember just b/c they have it doesn't always mean it is good.

About the internals, most shocks use the same TYPE of internals which is the shim stack and valve. PEP and Works use a different check ball system I believe is right which Colby has talked about on here before. While the type may be the same, after market shocks most usually have a lot higher quality of parts in them and also a little different system on the adjusters on some brands than can be placed on the stockers. So it isn't really the type but the quality.

As far as pros running them, Brandon Summers and I believe Taylor Kiser did also last year, but I am pretty sure Taylor won't be this year.

Oh, and there are people out there who will take the time to set your suspension up to perform just as well as the pros, and I don't mean you send them your shocks. I mean ride with you, work with you, and help you understand your suspension, but it will cost you, you gotta pay to play.

i think another huge difference in rebuild versus aftermarket is that they sotimes use slightly better materials than what is available on a stock shock...hence teh ability to handle more abuse....

and yes...you can buy the same exact suspension the pro's use...you just have to be willing to spend the cash. also, you can have a top quality shop set up your suspension so that it performs perfectly for you...i know a few people who have had there suspension set up by both mark baldwin and jody bateman....so its all in teh matter of how much you wanna pay to play...

DEVINF450R
02-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I am sorry but I have GT Thunder Rebuilds and they work great, But they still feel almost the same as my stoc suspension. They are no where near as good as my LT TCS triple rates, or the Fox floats I have rode, or the PEPs I have rode.... when you get to a certain level riding (esp. in MX) you have surpassed the capabilities of your stock/revalved suspension. My guess (only a guess) is that those of you that are all about these revalves have ever overshot a 75ft indoor triple, or 90ft outdoor triple, or blitzed AX peaked whoops. Revalves just don't compare... BTW I was not trying in anyway to cut anyone down, just saying they have not taken the shocks to that level

A A R O N
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM

As I and others stated above, shock fade is the number 1 reason why rebuilds are obsolete to aftermarket shocks. Rebuilds cannot take the abuse and still offer good performance like an aftermarket shock.

So both of you are saying that the number one disadvantage of a rebuild is the fact that they heat up faster and fade?

Assuming this is the case, what if there was a rebuild that included pieces in it to flow more oil with less restriction than most aftermarket shocks? (I pose the question only to make you think. I already know what the answer is). When the right internals are added, it eliminates the flow issues and can outperform almost any shock when set up correctly.

A A R O N
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM

So both of you are saying that the number one disadvantage of a rebuild is the fact that they heat up faster and fade?

Assuming this is the case, what if there was a rebuild that included pieces in it to flow more oil with less restriction than most aftermarket shocks? (I pose the question only to make you think. I already know what the answer is). When the right internals are added, it eliminates the flow issues and can outperform almost any shock when set up correctly.

ben300
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM

i do not know, and im guessing by this bit of infor, that one of the rebuilders out there already does this. Then in that case, then it would be the same as aftermarkets, accept for fact that most after market shocks with rezzies, have fairly larger bodied rezzies than what stockers do. I know for a fact that pep uses some huge rezzies, convincingly larger than stock...this allows for more fluid, which in turn takes a longer time to heat up totally, and is easier to cool.

DEVINF450R
02-07-2008, 06:15 PM
OK, I may be wrong here but if you allow more oil to flow..esp in the small bodied stockers, would you not bottom out too easily

ohsobad_chevy
02-07-2008, 08:02 PM

I stated that is the number 1 disadvantage.......not the only disadvantage. Although the shock might be altered to flow more oil, there are still other factors that cause the shock to fade.
I am not wanting to start an argument, I was only stating my personal opinions and I know that is what everyone else is doing, too.

A A R O N
02-07-2008, 08:26 PM
accept for fact that most after market shocks with rezzies, have fairly larger bodied rezzies than what stockers do.

true.....

I'm not here to start any arguments either. I am just interested in what people think because of the growing interest in stock rebuilds and their applications. I think we all may be a little surprised in the future with the suspension, stock and aftermarket, that is available.

02-07-2008, 08:30 PM
yeah the only problem with my stock rear 400ex shock is it plain out sucks. It will fade after a few jumps and whoops, it doesnt soak up enough littlestuff and it bottoms out really easy. I really dont understand how rebuilds will make it soak up whoops and little stuff yet be harder to bottom out

ben300
02-07-2008, 10:42 PM
true.....

I'm not here to start any arguments either. I am just interested in what people think because of the growing interest in stock rebuilds and their applications. I think we all may be a little surprised in the future with the suspension, stock and aftermarket, that is available.

ohh i know your not trying to argue at all....your opinion is much welcome, even tho there are certain ppl here that like to argue...i just try to analyze it from an engineering stand point...and i am just not a fan of stock parts at all...

im sure in the future that we are gonna constantly see improvement in suspension and wuts offered stock and aftermarket...i personally believe that alot of the future of suspension is in things like the fox float evol and the axis air shock...not sure wut its callled...but if you look at things such as mtn. bike suspension, and how companies such as fox and marzocchi, manitou, and even rockshox...what they have been able to do with air technology, it is absolutely crazy....its gonna be hard to constantly keep improving the standard coil over suspension...but air suspension is still relatively new...

i also have to say that we will continue to see advancements in stock products, but from an engineering standpoint and a marketing standpoint that it will only be so good, because it gets to expensive to produce, and way to expensive to sell....

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 06:07 AM
I know my factory fronts will outflow oil over any aftermarket shock... I have the hi-flo hard anodized pistons in mine. Rides like a cadillac, but still takes the big hits without problem.

DEVINF450R - I came up short on a 65' about 10-12 times within 30 minutes while learning to do a jump. Does that count? Of course I bottomed out, but it was something I wouldn't have even attempted on bone stockers. The aftermarket units I've had performed the same on large jumps, but the small stutter bumps and stuff is where the rebuilds outshined the aftermarket for me.

FoxHondaRider - Try it, you will not believe the world of difference it will make, especially over a bone stock shock.

For those complaining about heat fade, the only advantage would to be to go to LT. Price for Price I think rebuilds are best bang for the buck. I will say that a LT shock carries more oil and slower shaft travel so less heat is certain, but at the extra cost, and never having a problem with my current ride, why would I buy aftermarket?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-08-2008, 07:43 AM

We have been using high flow CNC machined, hard anodized pistons in all of our conversion( Front and Rear) for years. This is nothing new ,it is not a costly add on in our conversions like it is with other it is included in the price.

As for aftermarket being better than rebuilds?? That depends on the rider. You will never here me say sell your LT axis shocks ,I will make the stock shocks better. The conversions are for the budget minded racer/rider that wants to greatly improve their ride quality without greatly reducing his/her cash flow.There are limitation to these shock, shaft size, body length,stroke length, etc.
Someone stated that the biggest limitation with rebuilds was that they heat up more than aftermarket, I find this to be incorrect. Some of the aftermarket shocks that are considered to be very popular create more heat than our rebuilds due there valving system. Most OEM shocks are made of sand cast aluminum bodies and rezzies and the aftermarket shocks are constructed of steel bodies and billet shock heads and rezzies. Cast aluminum has a much higher rate of heat disipation than steel or billet aluminum. As for giant rezzies they hold more oil this does not mean you will circulate more oil. The amount of oil that is passed back and forth between the body and the rezzie is determined by the shaft diameter and stroke.

Like I said rebulid are a great Bang for the $. Do I think every Pro Racer should be racing on them No I am realistic :)

duke416ex
02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by DEVINF450R
OK, I may be wrong here but if you allow more oil to flow..esp in the small bodied stockers, would you not bottom out too easily

I am glad to see this thread, it is not often a few people can talk calmly about a subject on any forum any more and I hope that we all get something from this thread.

Now, let me try to explain this the way it was explained to me and not screw it up.

A couple people have now come out with high flow pistons for the stockers. What happens here is yes, the piston flows way more and is shimmed different so not to heat up the fluid as much. But, since the fluid and shim stack isn't enough to slow the piston and shaft travel down, you ahve to use stiffer rate springs to make up for the softer valving now.

This is kinda going backwards from the goal, which is to use the softest spring possible, for the smoothest ride, but still have bottuming resistance. With proper valving and internal setup, you can use a spring that will give you a nice cushiony ride, yet still not bottum.

This is easier to do with aftermarket shocks due to the amount of fluid they hold compared to stockers. Just look at the rezzies on teh new Axis, Elka Factory series, and PEP big cans and think about how much more fluid they hold. Also remember that pretty often when a stocker is reworked, the bodies are shortened to get the right amount of shaft travel which inturn makes them hold less fluid then they started.

I want to say again, I am not against revalves completely, I have rode them, and still have some, but I prefer my aftermarkets over them. I hope I wrote that out like I had it in my mind :ermm:

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I am glad to see this thread, it is not often a few people can talk calmly about a subject on any forum any more and I hope that we all get something from this thread.

Now, let me try to explain this the way it was explained to me and not screw it up.

A couple people have now come out with high flow pistons for the stockers. What happens here is yes, the piston flows way more and is shimmed different so not to heat up the fluid as much. But, since the fluid and shim stack isn't enough to slow the piston and shaft travel down, you ahve to use stiffer rate springs to make up for the softer valving now.

This is kinda going backwards from the goal, which is to use the softest spring possible, for the smoothest ride, but still have bottuming resistance. With proper valving and internal setup, you can use a spring that will give you a nice cushiony ride, yet still not bottum.

This is easier to do with aftermarket shocks due to the amount of fluid they hold compared to stockers. Just look at the rezzies on teh new Axis, Elka Factory series, and PEP big cans and think about how much more fluid they hold. Also remember that pretty often when a stocker is reworked, the bodies are shortened to get the right amount of shaft travel which inturn makes them hold less fluid then they started.

I want to say again, I am not against revalves completely, I have rode them, and still have some, but I prefer my aftermarkets over them. I hope I wrote that out like I had it in my mind :ermm:

Just out of curiosity, who did your revalves? What aftermarket setup are you using?

duke416ex
02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I have Elkas all around now, I have just changed over to a full lt set up but have not gotten to ride it yet. I had full Elkas before that also. I have had C&D do some work for me, good stuff made a huge difference. I have GT Thunder revlaves and have ridden on several other sets of GT revalves, I also did well on them and was a drastic improvement over stock. I have also owned a c-dale that had Ohlins and was probably the best factory ride I have been on and think KTM made a good move with that. I have also rode Axis quite a bit and like them as well. I hope in the future to get a little ride time on some air shocks. This is all jmo.

edit: I guess I should say that most of the shocks I have rode have been close to my weight and that I am fairly close to the average weight they are set for form the factory. I willl say that the shocks I rode on that were heavy for me sucked, and I got them reworked quick. In my opinion in suspension, close enough isn't good enough.

Colby@C&DRacing
02-08-2008, 08:55 AM

: [/B]

I disagree with your thinking that the use of high flow pistons causes less damping in the shock and in return increases the need for heavier spring rates. This statement is not at all true. A high flow piston does nothing more than eliminate a tuning variable in the shock and allows the shock tuner the ability to have more control over the valving. We have found with the added control we have with our pistons we have been able to decrease springs rates. The only time you would see a decrease in valving control between a high flow piston and a stock piston is if you tried running the same shim stack on both since the stock piston actually is a restriction in the system.

duke416ex
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I disagree with your thinking that the use of high flow pistons causes less damping in the shock and in return increases the need for heavier spring rates. This statement is not at all true. A high flow piston does nothing more than eliminate a tuning variable in the shock and allows the shock tuner the ability to have more control over the valving. We have found with the added control we have with our pistons we have been able to decrease springs rates. The only time you would see a decrease in valving control between a high flow piston and a stock piston is if you tried running the same shim stack on both since the stock piston actually is a restriction in the system.

That's more what I meant. It was explained to me that some people will not add to the shim stack in order to have less friction on the oil to help with fluid heat and that was why they used the heavier springs. I knew I would word something wrong:ermm: I have things a lot clearer in my head than I can type it out.

Colby, a couple of questions I have wondered. Do piggybacks have a better flow than remotes? Also, would a dual line remote not be better so that you can have a return line and not be pushing and pulling the fluid through the same line all the time? I thought that would give you a better exchange of fluid from the shock to the rezzie and I may be totally wrong on that.

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 10:42 AM
That's more what I meant. It was explained to me that some people will not add to the shim stack in order to have less friction on the oil to help with fluid heat and that was why they used the heavier springs. I knew I would word something wrong:ermm: I have things a lot clearer in my head than I can type it out.

Colby, a couple of questions I have wondered. Do piggybacks have a better flow than remotes? Also, would a dual line remote not be better so that you can have a return line and not be pushing and pulling the fluid through the same line all the time? I thought that would give you a better exchange of fluid from the shock to the rezzie and I may be totally wrong on that.

Piggybacks should have extra heat dissipation, that alone is worth it to me. Thanks for your input on suspension setups. If I get what you're saying, you liked your elkas that were setup by C&D correct? For everything I've said so far in this thread I am comparing an aftermarket shock bought directly from the manufacturer compared to revalves. An elka shock that has been re-worked by someone will perform better than an off the shelf elka IMO.

duke416ex
02-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Yes, I did like my Elka that was redone by C&D. I think where people get the bad impression of Elka is when they just say I need some st shocks for a 450r, I weigh 180. In that case I think the shocks aren't valved very well. You can go through a very lengthy setup straight from Elka to help get your shocks set up a lot closer for you if you want to take the time. Also, many other companies, Motowuz for example, have shocks that are tuned really well right out of the box.

ben300
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, I did like my Elka that was redone by C&D. I think where people get the bad impression of Elka is when they just say I need some st shocks for a 450r, I weigh 180. In that case I think the shocks aren't valved very well. You can go through a very lengthy setup straight from Elka to help get your shocks set up a lot closer for you if you want to take the time. Also, many other companies, Motowuz for example, have shocks that are tuned really well right out of the box.

i agree, if you spend the money for the good shocks, then work with the companies or a good shop and get them set up right. Im pretty sure if you work with the companies when you buy them and give them some info, they can build them for you....

alot of ppl just buy shocks and go out and jump stuff and plow through whoops and wut not...i know ppl who have taken the time to set up their shocks correctly when they get them, and those sets work pretty dang amazing..

400exrider707
02-08-2008, 01:13 PM
i agree, if you spend the money for the good shocks, then work with the companies or a good shop and get them set up right. Im pretty sure if you work with the companies when you buy them and give them some info, they can build them for you....

alot of ppl just buy shocks and go out and jump stuff and plow through whoops and wut not...i know ppl who have taken the time to set up their shocks correctly when they get them, and those sets work pretty dang amazing..

I had Elkas built for me and my bike... I was impressed with them, right up until I got my revalves... I'll never buy elkas again, unless they're so dirt cheap that I can send them off to C&D and still be under half the cost of new.

ben300
02-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I had Elkas built for me and my bike... I was impressed with them, right up until I got my revalves... I'll never buy elkas again, unless they're so dirt cheap that I can send them off to C&D and still be under half the cost of new.

so...i dont kow if im getting this correct...your saying that your rebuilt stockers impress you more than correctly built elkas?

400exrider707
02-10-2008, 09:31 AM
so...i dont kow if im getting this correct...your saying that your rebuilt stockers impress you more than correctly built elkas?

Yes sir. If you can call them "correctly built" elkas. I ordered them straight from Elka with my weight and bike and they were nice, waaay better than stock for sure, but like Paul Thede says: "The best you have ridden is the best you know" Once I tried out my rebuilds, I was blown away. I'm not saying they are the best shock out, but as far as money goes vs. performance I dont think they can be beat. They are the best bang for the buck in suspension as far as I'm concerned.