View Full Version : 17 too late to start riding/racing quads?

cjmcguire90
01-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I used to ride dirtbikes, but I am now very interested in getting a quad and trying to race it some. Nothing too serious just out to have some fun and get better. Would you say since I am 17 it is too late to even try to ride/race since I will be going to college next year and won't be able to ride much other than summers?

Around here the weather is too cold to do much in the winter anyways but I was just curious to see how you guys/girls feel.

Thanks

limetimeracerII
01-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Its never too late. They're people that don't start untill their 30's.

ZeroLogic
01-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Deffently not. Theres a lot to learn about riding quads. Its a night n' day difference from a dirt bike. I'd say you stick with bikes though.:p

TRX450RACER174
01-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Deff not to late i started racing when i was 31 but i have been riding alot longer than that, you still have a lot of time to learn and your young so that helps.

cjmcguire90
01-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the replies. I do like bikes still, but imo they get old, and quads are way more fun for me to ride and I feel more in control beleive it or not.

my88r
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by cjmcguire90
Thanks for the replies. I do like bikes still, but imo they get old, and quads are way more fun for me to ride and I feel more in control beleive it or not.

i ride both. that way i don't get burnt out riding just one.:D

yellow05ex
01-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a 05 400ex for sale that would fit you great. Its in really good condition. I live close to you and could even deliver the quad to your door. Lol let me know if your interested. I have it in the ATV for sale section. Search on my username and you will find it with pics and everything.

NJ450rider
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I cant ride a dirtbike to save my life. I dont care though. I wish i could have started riding when i was younger. Things would have been alot different than they are now.

mineralgrey01gt
01-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
I cant ride a dirtbike to save my life. I dont care though. I wish i could have started riding when i was younger. Things would have been alot different than they are now.

i agree, i didnt start riding until a month or so ago, ive rode sport quads before but never owned one till now and im 21

my88r
01-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
i agree, i didnt start riding until a month or so ago, ive rode sport quads before but never owned one till now and im 21

man i didnt know that. thats cool a R is your first bike.:)

mineralgrey01gt
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by my88r
man i didnt know that. thats cool a R is your first bike.:)

yep, always said since i first learned about 250r's in the mid 90's that my first quad would be one :macho

my88r
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
yep, always said since i first learned about 250r's in the mid 90's that my first quad would be one :macho

that's about the time i started to learn about them. I'm 19 now. now i got a R and don't plan to get rid of it. I'm looking for another.lol

NJ450rider
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
My younger brother raced dirtbikes for a number of years growing up. He was always getting hurt and i was never allowed to get or ride anything. I did ride bmx for a longggg time and was quite good at it. Im just going on my 4th year of riding and its awesome. My father always wanted to get me something to ride it was really more my mom always saying no. I remember when i was like 14 or 15 he wanted to get me a blaster. LOL But i know i definatly would have forgot about riding bmx and rode that every chance i could. Im 27 now with two quads(use to be 3) and i cant get enough of it. All i want to do is ride and get better at it each day.

So 17 is not to late at all. If you like it ride every chance you get. Have a good time and see how serious you want to take it. Nothing worse than saying "what if".....

Velocity Girl
01-25-2008, 08:27 AM
I think there's alot of us that only wish we could have started at 17 ... heck I'd even take 20 or 25 :D (I started at 31!)

KXRida
01-25-2008, 08:48 AM
I started riding quads around age 10 but didn't start riding bikes till about 14/15 so it's not really too late. IMO I like bikes better, but that's just me. I just think they're easier to control in the air but they're a little harder to ride.

woodsracer144
01-25-2008, 10:12 PM
what i woudl say to do is pick up a cheaper 400ex with some mods on it, and keep the bike, if you wann get good on teh quad ride it as much as you can, all the time in teh summer and where ever you can in the winter... i ride my blaster all the time, i ride quads just about every day i got my own quad in 06 any my buddy got his first quad when he wa like 5 or something it was a trx90 and i rode on that a little bit but i bougt a blasster in 06 i rode it all the time non stop, and i rode to my max every day, with in 2 years i'm just as fast as he is on his 450r. and if i hes cusins 450r and hes on his i bet you i can keep right with him, the day i rode he 450 when he got the elkas i was haulin acrost rough spots that people were goin slow on becasue hte elkas fell like a smooth ride compaired to my stock blaster... i would get hte 400ex tho, they are bullet proof and if you wanna race hard core i would bore and stroke on to a 460 and mod that up alot.

hornetgod13
01-26-2008, 02:36 AM
The first time I rode an ATV was when I bought my 400EX on 2006 I was 35 years old. I enjoy the heck out of riding. 17 is young!

blholtz
01-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I got you all beat, I started racing at 38.

honda250xrider
01-26-2008, 07:55 AM
depends on where u plan on going to college if i would even consider a quad, i will be parting with mine this spring, I am currently in college right now and just simply dont have the time to have the wheeler anymore and with the money i invested in it i wish i could have that back instead of the wheeler at times, I will have plenty of time to ride and get a wheeler when i grad. but for now i plan to sell it in the spring

woodsracer144
01-26-2008, 08:04 AM
just get something cheap, like 1500 bucks, you can do alot with 1500. i think you could afford it if you stay cheap and just ride onethats not modded out, till you get out od school and stuff, im keepin all ym toys once im done with high school and im lookin at buyin a truck( its in post your lifted or sick trucks in the open fourms) but im also not gonna take a 4 yr im only gonna get the 2 yr and im goin to do something with auto or something like that.

monte433
01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
I rode dirtbikes from 8 to 17 and then life happend and didn't have time for it until last year when I bought 2 quads for my daughter 4 and me 44:D.

I say go for it and have fun:D

cjmcguire90
01-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with getting something that will be reliable, I am planning on going to a school thatd roughly 45 minutes away so I will come home on a regular basis to ride and just hang out with friends.

Thanks again everyone

smyers33
01-26-2008, 06:53 PM
its never too late to start...expecially if you just wanna do it for fun...but the college thing...ummm...i kinda feel the same way...im 17 but ive been racing for three years...i have accomplished a ton and would never quit but if there is one thing that would have to make me stop riding it would def be college...i plan on training my tail off the rest of this winter and holding up on college and seeing how i do...this will be the year to determine weather i am cut out for this...so IMO i would prob wait on the wheeler and finish school man...then KICK BUTT!!!

smyers33
01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by smyers33
its never too late to start...expecially if you just wanna do it for fun...but the college thing...ummm...i kinda feel the same way...im 17 but ive been racing for three years...i have accomplished a ton and would never quit but if there is one thing that would have to make me stop riding it would def be college...i plan on training my tail off the rest of this winter and holding up on college and seeing how i do...this will be the year to determine weather i am cut out for this...so IMO i would prob wait on the wheeler and finish school man...then KICK BUTT!!!

oops i am on my freinds computer...my profile is actually Blakefoote...lol

trx400exxracer
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Def. not to late! My brother started racing around 19-20 and now he is 23! And in 2007 he won the Southern off-road championship series) SORCS Pro class championship. he can hang with national (GNCC) pro and A class guys. So no its not to late! Its never to late, anyways the thing about racing is having fun and making friends!

01-26-2008, 09:33 PM
yeah 17 isnt too late i say go for it!

woodsracer144
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
Def. not to late! My brother started racing around 19-20 and now he is 23! And in 2007 he won the Southern off-road championship series) SORCS Pro class championship. he can hang with national (GNCC) pro and A class guys. So no its not to late! Its never to late, anyways the thing about racing is having fun and making friends!

meetin all the different types of people is the best. i would rather just do that on my weekends at the race track,

the one day we went to pract. and it ws raining all day and the track just got reabuilt and this was gonna be the first day on it and there were a ton of people on bikes there and normally the guys with the bikes are dick heads to us and when we showed up theres jaws droped and were all happy becasue we help make hte landing ramps dry out faster on the one step up any bike that tried it would crash there was no way some one could land that and after we got 5 laps in they could land it.

the coolest thing is you can catch the good and the bad thing for your type of ridin and some times after you ride enought at tracks you make some good friends and go ridin at each others stuff and then its kinda like a huge race team.

there are alot of good people ,
the one race my buddy was runnin with a 04 honda 450 bored ro a 480 all XCed out. for the 6hours of amercia and they broke a chain and they pushed it up a hill to get that lap in and they didnt have chain so they were gonna pack it up and a guy out of now where just showed with a D.I.D. GOLD X-ring brandnew in the box and handed it to my buddy to finish and his son was in 2nd. i was like are you kiddin me! your son could of had 1st and this is in Pro.