PDA

View Full Version : How can i adjust my brake to...

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 04:30 PM
hey everyone, i got a question. *How can i adjust my front brakes so i can do stoppies?* my brakes like just wont do them, i guess they dont stop good enough for one. idk..

Thanks.

hornetgod13
01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
The front brakes are not adjustable but, there are a few things you can do to improve your front brakes. Install braided steel brake lines, Bleed the brakes real good and, Install better brake pads. However, I have never seen anyone do a "stoppie" on a 400ex. Perhaps there's just too much weight for the front brakes pull it off. I'm not a fan of having the quad flip over on me. I like to keep all 4 wheels on the ground, it's safer that way.

08400EX
01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
However, I have never seen anyone do a "stoppie" on a 400ex. Perhaps there's just too much weight for the front brakes pull it off.

You can see anything on Utube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucpjwzUMyCA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRNtpNFjnxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6sAYcM6eM

kolby2004
01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
I do stoppies all the time. I would say bleed the front brakes really good.

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 05:44 PM
thanks everyone!

How do i bleed the front brakes?

(also what does 'bleed' them mean?)

casey_lamm
01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Brake bleeding is the procedure performed on hydraulic brake systems where the brake lines (the pipes and hoses containing the brake fluid) are purged of any air bubbles. This is necessary because, while the brake fluid is an incompressible liquid, air bubbles are compressible gas and their presence in the brake system greatly reduces the hydraulic pressure that can be developed within the system. QUOTE]Originally posted by atvmaster0927
thanks everyone!

(also what does 'bleed' them mean?) [/QUOTE]

NacsMXer
01-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by atvmaster0927
thanks everyone!

(also what does 'bleed' them mean?)

It is a process of "bleeding" all the little air bubbles that accumulate out of your brake fluid. These bubbles reduce the hydraulic strength of your brake system.

To bleed the front brakes you first need some DOT 4 brake fluid. Then remove the cover on the front brake master cylinder (little box next to front brake lever). Look down by each front caliper and you will see a small black cap which covers the bleeder valves. Pull back the caps to expose the bleeder valves. Go find an open end wrench that will fit the size of the bleeder valves (it is small, something like 6mm). Now you are ready to start bleeding.

To start, pump the front brake lever several times until you feel pressure built up. Then, you have to hold the lever all the way in WHILE opening the bleeder valve at the caliper at the SAME time (you may need 2 people for this).

As you open the bleeder valve, brake fluid will come out thus bleeding out the air bubbles. (You can collect the fluid into a cup as it comes out). Your brake lever will begin to go soft as the fluid comes out. Once the brake lever is all the way to the handlebars, close the bleeder valve, pump up the brake lever again and repeat the process over and over (pump/hold/bleed, pump/hold/bleed....etc). Switch to the other side when no more bubbles come out of the caliper you started on.

Keep an eye on the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir during this process! DO NOT allow it to run dry or you will have to start over since you just sucked air back into the system......just keep adding fluid to it as you go. After you've done both sides, put the cover back on the master cylinder and you're done! :macho

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks ill give it a try when i get home from school tomorrow...that was kinda confusing, but ill try it tomoorow...Also is there anyway i might mess it up if i do it wrong? Also with that write up u just did on how to do it, everytime i get the bubbles out, i have to add more brake fluid? or what? im not sure...im not that smart about that stuff. thanks.

hornetgod13
01-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Any fluid that's bled out of the brake assemblies must be replaced in the reservoir. Use new fluid. Do not reuse the fluid.

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Any fluid that's bled out of the brake assemblies must be replaced in the reservoir. Use new fluid. Do not reuse the fluid.

Thanks Man!
i check it and do it all tomorrow.

NacsMXer
01-24-2008, 06:52 PM
thanks ill give it a try when i get home from school tomorrow...that was kinda confusing, but ill try it tomoorow...Also is there anyway i might mess it up if i do it wrong? Also with that write up u just did on how to do it, everytime i get the bubbles out, i have to add more brake fluid? or what? im not sure...im not that smart about that stuff. thanks.

Sorry if parts were confusing, it is one of those things that is easier to do than to explain :p

Think about it like this: You are holding a cup of brake fluid (master cylinder) with a hose attached to the bottom of it. At the end of the hose is a valve (bleeder valve) that opens when you loosen it and closes when you tighten it back up. All of this fluid is under pressure (created by pumping the brake lever) so that if you open the bleeder valve, brake fluid will want to come out. When fluid is able to leave the system, it takes the air bubbles with it. But as you drain fluid from the system, your fluid level will slowly go down in the cup (which is why you need to keep refilling it during the process). If you let the fluid in the cup get to the bottom, air will get into the system and you'll have to start over.

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Dont i want the fluid in it though?

srry for all of these kinda stupid questions...

NacsMXer
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Dont i want the fluid in it though?

srry for all of these kinda stupid questions...

You top off the reservoir with fresh fluid when you are done bleeding ;)

atvmaster0927
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
You top off the reservoir with fresh fluid when you are done bleeding ;)

thanks man! that helped a lot!

byrdman
01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
careful with the stoppies. i can get them on my 400 but its kinda tricky. you have to jam the lever pretty hard and get over your bars. i will tell you though a 400 coming down on you absolutly sucks!

CSR400EX
01-24-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by byrdman
careful with the stoppies. i can get them on my 400 but its kinda tricky. you have to jam the lever pretty hard and get over your bars. i will tell you though a 400 coming down on you absolutly sucks!
haha, i agree. you gotta have good front tires to grip , instead of slide lol. i can get my 450 to do them fairly easy, but you gotta know when to let up.

jeremy_283
01-24-2008, 11:01 PM
i can do like a small jump.... 2 foot of air, land on my front wheels and stoppie without the back touching... i almost flipped my 450 doing it..... :)

TRXRacer1
01-25-2008, 07:21 AM
You can bleed those stock lines all day long and you still won't have as near as good of stopping power as if you had steel braided lines.

01-25-2008, 09:09 AM
I have done little stoppies with the stock brakes and lines on the road. Now I have steel braided and I wouldnt attempt bitting the brakes on the road cause i'd go over. Steel braided are so much better.

atvmaster0927
01-25-2008, 09:46 AM
thanks again everyyone! im gunna get some steel braided brake lines.

i have two last questions...where can i buy some steel braided brake lines?(and who makes them)? And are they hard to install?(can i get like a how to)?
thanks!

are these good? do i need to order two?
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&navTitle=Control&webTypeId=76&webCatId=12&allVehParts=true&prodFamilyId=3076

NacsMXer
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
thanks again everyyone! im gunna get some steel braided brake lines.

i have two last questions...where can i buy some steel braided brake lines?(and who makes them)? And are they hard to install?(can i get like a how to)?
thanks!

are these good? do i need to order two?
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&navTitle=Control&webTypeId=76&webCatId=12&allVehParts=true&prodFamilyId=3076

I have those SS brake lines by Galfer....i'm very happy with them. When you order, tell them what quad it is for and they will send you the right kit. They also come in different lengths for extended steering stems and A-arms so be sure to specify which length you need as well.

It comes with a T-block to replace the stock one, 2 lines to go to each caliper and 1 line to go up to your brake lever (you don't need to order two). Also provided in the kit are 3 banjo bolts and copper sealing washers.

Install is extremely simple. Remove the front plastics as it will make things easier to see. There is one small bolt holding the stock T-block to the frame near the steering stem.....take it out. Remove the banjo bolts holding the stock lines to the calipers on each side. Remove the banjo bolt holding the brake line that goes into the master cylinder by the lever. On the stock brake line there is also a small bracket near the top of the steering stem that secures the front brake line.....remove it as well.

Remove the entire front brake line assembly from the quad.

Now you are ready to put the SS lines on. Start by installing the new T-block on the frame using the same bolt you just removed. Install the 2 lower lines into the T-block and tighten gently (they will break off if you overtighten!). Run each lower line down to its respective caliper and install with provided copper washers and banjo bolts. There should be a torque spec provided so you do not overtighten the 3 banjo bolts. Finally, install the top line into the top of the T-block and run it up to the front master cylinder.....install with provided copper washers and banjo bolt like before.

Now that your lines are installed, you have to bleed the entire system of air. Since you removed the stock lines from the calipers, you introduced a LOT of air inside them. It will take a while to build pressure as you bleed because of this, don't be surprised it it takes a while at first ;)

byrdman
01-25-2008, 05:19 PM
if you have a hydraulic shop localy take your old lines to them and they will make SS lines while you wait.

quad2xtreme
01-25-2008, 06:20 PM
You can also reverse bleed your brakes. pump them up real good (like 20 times) and then keep the lever squeezed in tight. wrap a bungee cord around it so it keeps the lever squeezed in tight. Now loosen the two screws on the master cylinder cap but don't take it all the way off (you don't want moisture or dirt getting in there). Leave it sit this way overnight. Repeat this whole process the next night.

quad2xtreme
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
best option for doing stoppies is to install 450r brakes.

Replace your 400ex parts with 2005 450r spindles, hubs, and calipers. Your existing brake rotors will work with the 450r hubs. Replace them though if they are worn out.

TRXRacer1
01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
You can also reverse bleed your brakes. pump them up real good (like 20 times) and then keep the lever squeezed in tight. wrap a bungee cord around it so it keeps the lever squeezed in tight. Now loosen the two screws on the master cylinder cap but don't take it all the way off (you don't want moisture or dirt getting in there). Leave it sit this way overnight. Repeat this whole process the next night.

LOL, Anyone ever see Billy Madison? Specifically the part where the principal speaks after Billy's answer using the puppy who lost his way analogy during the quiz?

atvmaster0927
01-26-2008, 05:32 PM
how about these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140201205938&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004
are they good? i want to get these ones cause they are in red.
Thanks...Again!

01-26-2008, 06:29 PM
I got my stainless steal front brake lines on here from a hybrid part out for $30 shipped to my door. I dont know the brand but I see them on ebay.

cbr929rr
01-28-2008, 01:41 AM
I have installed braided front lines, rebuilt calipers, streamline brake pads, wave rotors, and an RTC adjustable brake lever. Stoppies still do not come easy, I have tried already. They make an adapter plate so you can mount honda 250R dual piston calipers to 400ex spindles, hubs, and rotors. I myself have given up, because the single piston caliper isn't that great and if you can endo easy on pavement guess what is going to happen when you use those brakes on the trails or track, instant lockup and slidding into something hard. Go ahead and do dual piston setup if you have $$$$$ and dont ride in the dirt.
Just my 2cents