PDA

View Full Version : slip on now wont start

formula1020
01-24-2008, 04:07 PM
i have a 400 ex and i just put a LEXX MX slip on , on and now it wont start, i have a spark, fuel and compression , what could it be

Rip_Tear
01-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Did you jet? Does it fire at all?

formula1020
01-24-2008, 04:19 PM
i took the carb apart and found a 152 jet as a main jet , do you think i may have to go to a 155 main jet

Rip_Tear
01-24-2008, 04:26 PM
For just a slip on a 152 might cover it, but does it fire?
What color is the plug?
Since you did jet it are you sure you put the carb back together correctly?

formula1020
01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
yea i put the carb back together correctly , i the plug was alittle discolored so i replaced it with a new one , and it doesnt fire at all

RATPACK Z400
01-24-2008, 04:59 PM
You need to give us more info. does it turn over ,sound like it wants to start or it makes clicking noise,etc. first thing is to check everything you took apart to install pipe you might have disconnected something accidently.the plug should be tan,black=rich,white=lean. did it run good before pipe install?

formula1020
01-24-2008, 05:03 PM
the engine turns over i have spark, fuel , compression, theres no clicking noises, battery is brand new and fully charged, all i took off to put the slip on , on was the seat and 2 bolts that hold the slip on

limetimeracerII
01-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Is the gas on or are you out of gas? Is your tether unhooked, is your kill switch on?

formula1020
01-24-2008, 06:42 PM
i got a full tank of gas, even pulled hose off carb and made sure gas was coming out , kill switch is turned to on position

maxfior
01-25-2008, 09:13 AM
For that pipe I would do the following:
• #155 Main (get oem jets from your Honda Shop)
• #42 Pilot
• Check and clean your air filter
• Leave air box lid off (for now)
---
Check to make sure you have the carb put back correctly, all clamps are tight. Also, make sure that you have a new plug, I managed to break mine and that caused almost all of my issues.
---
Assuming that you have good, clean gas and that there are no obstructions the engine should at least fire with choke on and a few pumps of the throttle.
---
Do you keep your battery on a charge (with the colder weather, this is a must) Have you checked any fuse issues, or loose wires? Cap on the plug okay? Give us a few more ideas and I'm sure we can figure this out together, nothing is more frustrating that not being able to get an engine to fire, believe I know! :rolleyes:

Max

formula1020
01-25-2008, 03:38 PM
i keep the battery on charge , and the gas is fresh, and i checked all the fuese and there good , all wire connections are good and clean . i'm getting the oem jets from my local honda dealer tomorrow and the air filter is brand new uni foam filter

TRXRacer1
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by formula1020
i'm getting the oem jets from my local honda dealer tomorrow OEM jets won't make a difference. A brass plug with a hole in it is a brass plug with a hole in it no matter where you buy it from.

I see in two posts you say you have spark and one you say you don't. I take it you put the old plug back in? If all you did was change the exhaust and touched nothing else it would still run. Did you have it running the same day before you installed the slip-on? Your new slip-on isn't jammed with packaging material blocking flow is it? Have you tried the old muffler again?

maxfior
01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
OEM jets won't make a difference. A brass plug with a hole in it is a brass plug with a hole in it no matter where you buy it from.

I see in two posts you say you have spark and one you say you don't. I take it you put the old plug back in? If all you did was change the exhaust and touched nothing else it would still run. Did you have it running the same day before you installed the slip-on? Your new slip-on isn't jammed with packaging material blocking flow is it? Have you tried the old muffler again?

IMO, OEM jets DO matter. I bought jets from Jetsrus and my pilot was much different (in length) then the OEM jet from my Honda shop and the main had casting burrs in it (from Jetsrus). I know that **** happens but if you've got junky jets NOTHING is going to run right. I'm not trying to start flame wars here, just telling my experience. So, to formula1020; make sure you look at the jets, make sure that nothing is plugging them up, because I had issues with my pilot and I noticed burrs on the inside of it. Also, make sure that your plug is good. I cracked my plug once and didn't notice it until I took it out again and it rocked side to side. Even a broken plug will give you decent spark when you check it on the side of the motor (jumping the gap) it's under compression that a plug needs to work at 100%. Let us know what you find out, good luck!

Max

TRXRacer1
01-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
IMO, OEM jets DO matter. I bought jets from Jetsrus and my pilot was much different (in length) then the OEM jet from my Honda shop and the main had casting burrs in it (from Jetsrus). I know that **** happens but if you've got junky jets NOTHING is going to run right. I'm not trying to start flame wars here, just telling my experience. The reason I say you don't need OEM jets is because Honda doesn't make them. The jets you get from them are the same you can get elsewhere. You just need to know what you are ordering. Just curious here, did you order the correct length pilot jet because Jetsrus offers them in different lengths. Also how did you find casting burrs in a machined part?

limetimeracerII
01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I may be wrong but I seriously doubt your jetting is causing your bike not to start. Just adding a slip on will not change your jetting enough to make a difference not to metion that the main jet has nothing to do with starting. I think something else has to be wrong. Even if your main jet is way off the bike should still start and idle.

gould514
01-25-2008, 10:18 PM
to me it sounds like a fuel problem. if your getting spark, its got compression,and the starter is turning. i think maybe you should check the fuel line where its clamped to the carb maybe clamped in the wrong position or line is cracked. just my 2 cents

440challenger
01-26-2008, 09:59 AM
May i ask how do you know your getting fuel and spark? not trying to be a wise *****..

maxfior
01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
The reason I say you don't need OEM jets is because Honda doesn't make them. The jets you get from them are the same you can get elsewhere. You just need to know what you are ordering. Just curious here, did you order the correct length pilot jet because Jetsrus offers them in different lengths. Also how did you find casting burrs in a machined part?

Looking back at Jetsrus.com I didn't see anything about pilot jet length. (at least when I'm looking at what they have for the 400EX) I ordered the #40 and #42. When I looked at the jets at my Honda shop, they had the Keihin stamping which the Jetsrus jets did not. Any way... looking into the jet, you could see some sort of burr. I held it up the light and you could see something at the end of it. I even had a few other people look at it to make sure I wasn't craZy. So, I emailed old "Mike Z" to which this was stated: "Occasionally a chip may not get cleaned out in degreasing operations and the chip lodges inside. thanks Mike"So that was what he told me. I guess either way, it does not matter any more since I got what I needed in the first place from my local Honda shop. And all is running fine. I don't want to jack this thread any more then it already is... So lets try and help this guy out who is having the problems... formula1020 any other luck?

Max