PDA

View Full Version : Riding a sport??

87Warrior
11-14-2002, 09:22 PM
do you consider riding a sport, or is just MX sport and rideing in general is a hobby?

i saw on tv awhile back, don't know what channel, the top most phisically and mentally demanding sports in the world.
1st was boxing
2nd was MX

some meatheads don't thing riding is a sport, i just want to know why you think riding should be considered a sport.

muff
11-14-2002, 09:29 PM
if cheerleadings sport, practically anything is a sport

11-14-2002, 09:35 PM
I wish it were but I dont think riding is so called a sport more or less a hobby or leisure thing. Cant really be a sport. Aint compettion in riding either offcially ne ways

11-14-2002, 09:50 PM
riding is a hobby racing is a sport......it goes soccer, mx,boxing

Nausty
11-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Judging from the dictionary its a sport. ;)

from Cambridge Dictionary

sport (GAME)
noun
a game, competition or activity needing physical effort and skill that is played or done according to rules, for enjoyment and/or as a job
Rugby and American football are contact sports in which players receive a lot of injuries.
Indoor sports include fencing and squash.
Football, cricket and hockey are all team sports.
I enjoy winter sports like skiing and skating.
BRITISH AND AUSTRALIAN She used to do/play a lot of sport when she was younger.
Hunting for sport (=as an enjoyable activity) rather than because of the need to find food is something many British people think is wrong.

derekhonda
11-14-2002, 10:19 PM
yep soccer # 1 ( i play it )
mx #2 ( do that too)
and boxing #3 ( nope, i enjoy my brain )

TheX1992
11-14-2002, 10:26 PM
who is it....a nascar driver.......he said bull riding, bull fighting, and racing are the only true sports because you put your life on the line to win. everything else is just a competition

CHAUNCY
11-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
who is it....a nascar driver.......he said bull riding, bull fighting, and racing are the only true sports because you put your life on the line to win. everything else is just a competition

Yeah i heard that.

Texan32
11-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992

...putting you life on the line....I'm going to assume that when he sais "racing", he is refering to auto. So your (the nascar guy) sayin that loosely sitting on a 400 pound machine, hitting a 50 ft+ wide double, while catching 20+ feet of air, at 30+ mph and NOT KNOWING if you are going to hit the landing just right ISN'T putting your life on the line?!?!?!?! ...i guess this guy has never cased even a little 20 ft'er....

In all honesty, i think that auto racing is on of the SAFEST sports. Except those insage idiots that run drag bikes....thats just dancing with death! Think about it. How many guys do you see EVERY weekend that are taken out of a football game because of injuries!? A nascar race (or nearly any auto racing)....look at the catastrophic wrecks that happen and the result to the vehicle....8 out of 10 times, the driver walks away!!!!! I know, i know...what about ol' #3....but thats the first death in HOW LONG?

Sorry to rant, i just get worked up when i start thinking about how people think auto racing so SOOO DANGEROUS:grr

flyin#5
11-15-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Lathers
I wish it were but I dont think riding is so called a sport more or less a hobby or leisure thing. Cant really be a sport. Aint compettion in riding either offcially ne ways

I skateboard for hobby and liesure. that is still considered a sport. same with any other sport. you dont have to go all out to make it be a sport.

Ryan
11-15-2002, 09:46 AM
I would have to say volley ball is the safest. :D Unless one of the girls brake a nail.

I agree that riding is just a hobby, but racing is more of a sport becuase its like saying throwing a football up into the air by yourself isn't a sport but playing the game it is ment for is a sport. Its confusing I barley understand what I just wrote but I think riding-hobbie racing-sport

Wired
11-15-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Ryan88
I would have to say volley ball is the safest. :D Unless one of the girls brake a nail.

I agree that riding is just a hobby, but racing is more of a sport becuase its like saying throwing a football up into the air by yourself isn't a sport but playing the game it is ment for is a sport. Its confusing I barley understand what I just wrote but I think riding-hobbie racing-sport

lol i'll have to disagree with ya there. my senior year of highschool we had double the number of girls hurt from volleyball then we had from the football, basketball and wrestling squads combined!!! :eek: :eek:

racerx573
11-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by muff
if cheerleadings sport, practically anything is a sport

ROTFLMGDMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAAHAHHA

I have this arguement w/ the cheerleaders ALL the time. This is how I see things.
Cheerleading and anything else where you are judged is a Contest. (i.e. FMX, diving, etc.)

Anything that uses a ball is a Game

And the rest are Sports (MX, XC, Running, biking, racing in any form, real wrestling, huntin, fishin, and stuff along those lines,)

racerx573
11-15-2002, 02:03 PM
It's been proven by facts, that racing is safer than most "games". Such as football and stuff.

Team Outlaw #34
11-15-2002, 02:04 PM
I'd say that riding is a sport.....Because I mean it takes just as much energy as football or anythinng like that.....

Guy400
11-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Texan32
I know, i know...what about ol' #3....but thats the first death in HOW LONG?Actually, Earnhardt was the 3rd death in 2 years. There was Earnhardt, Adam Petty and the one Bodine brother.

Texan32
11-15-2002, 02:11 PM
but Guy, you get my point. i know its not death, but how many football players each year with paralasis, destroyed backs, grenaded knees.......

I don't know about you guys, but if i were in a hospital bed and the doc said "your legs or your life"......honestly, that would be a tough call.......

R-Crazy
11-15-2002, 02:24 PM
i think football is stupid. lets hit smellt dirty men in tights. motorSPORT. it is a sport.

dave

roostin_dale
11-17-2002, 11:37 AM
At our school....Scholastic bowl is considered a sport:eek:

So i think riding/racing is too

Nausty
11-17-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by 300ex rules
i think football is stupid. lets hit smellt dirty men in tights. .

yah I know, the hole object is to "penetrate the other teams endzone"... YUCK!

phatswinn
11-17-2002, 03:26 PM
yea i really think all those contact games are for the gay jocks that want to look tough but on the inside there gay, i played travel soccer for 10 years it was fun till i realized well, its dumb id rather be home riding quads with my freinds