PDA

View Full Version : 440 wont stay running

STEVER925
01-24-2008, 02:26 PM
my 440 just got rewired and got it back but the plug was fouled out. I cleaned the plug and had to jump it and it started. took it off the cables ran for a little then quit. then it wouldnt turn over. put it back on and it turned over and the same thing. wont turn over until I put it on the cables. whats wrong??? also just wondering what the quad is worth. its an 01 440, jd a arms, durblue axle,pep shock all around, lonestar subframe,ac bumpers. holeshots with rear beadlocks, sparks shorty custom pipe, steal brades lines, pro taper bars, motor is sick with high compression piston hardend rockers and all the good stuff, barret digger clutch and 2 sets of plastic and more. not trying to sell but some one keeps buging me to sell it to him, thanks Steve

400exBRAAP
01-24-2008, 04:54 PM
i think that is a sign of a dead abttery if it wil only run on cables. its either that, or a bad connection somewhere. i could take the connections off the battery, clean them up good, then put them back on and try it again. i ahd this problem with our skid steer and that was the trick. if that dont work, i think its time for a new battery

STEVER925
01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
battery and conections are all brand new.

400exBRAAP
01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
well, did ya charge the new battery? on out tractor batteries, we have to charge them for a day or so before we can use them, maybe thats your problem, if not, its probably a faulty wire connection somewhere, just my thoughts tho

f4istunna
01-25-2008, 12:21 AM
As far as what its worth depends alot on condition, title etc. But from what you've described id say you could expect anywhere from $2500-$3000

STEVER925
01-25-2008, 04:50 AM
no title but clean registation. the quads in good shape could us a new front end though

casey_lamm
01-26-2008, 12:09 PM
i was thinking bad or poor ground

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
it seems like when I try to start it I try to give it a little gas when pushing in the starting button it stops trying to turn over until I take my thimb off the throttle. the starter isnt stock Its just some button that was rigged on it when I bought it. I think im going to get a new starter button so I can run head lights for the winter. this suck I cant figure it out. Is anyone on this sight from Syracuse NY area, I need HElp

400exBRAAP
01-26-2008, 01:31 PM
HEY!!! thats the same problem im having, like when im trying to turn it over, and i hit the gas while trying to start it, the starter quits spinning. what is the cause of this? mine is a stock starter and starter button. and now mine wont run either. im in the same boat as this guy! we could BOTH use everyones help!

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 04:09 PM
yes thats whats wrong with mine too. im so frusterated. does anyone know what to do

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 04:42 PM
When you hit the gas you're letting the engine breath more causing the compression to raise. This raised compression is harder to turn over. Sounds like you guys aren't getting enough power to the starter to turn over the added compression. ATV batteries charge best by trickle charging. It takes a long time but it's better for the battery. You can actually hurt a new battery by not trickle charging it first. If this isn't your guys problem check all of your connections, including the one at the starter.

As far as using the throttle while starting you really don't need to do this. These carbs have accelerator pumps so a couple pumps before you turn over the starter should get you the extra fuel you need to get it going. Once you hear it pop over then try and keep it going with the throttle.

BigBore24
01-26-2008, 05:51 PM
you need a volt meter to check your charging rate. once you get it started, take the charger off of it then check and see what the voltage reads at the battery it should be more than 12 volts in order to actually add charge to the battery (thats the way it is on cars anyhow, should be the same cuz its a 12 volt system) If your stater is not charging the battery while it is running it wont matter how good your battery is. As for your starter issue I agree with trxracer1 that you shouldnt need to use the gas while cranking, but if you do have to then it sounds like your starter isnt strong enough for your high comp motor. on many high comp applications you have to get a stronger aftermarket starter.

400exBRAAP
01-26-2008, 07:04 PM
ya, but our problem with checking the charging system, is that we cant get them running!

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 07:52 PM
well my quad will run off the cables and my battery reads like 13.2.if it stalls off the cable then it wont turn over unless I put it back on the cables. I have a jump box and that wont turn it over but if I hook up to my father inlaws 2500 truck it turns in about 2 minutes.

400exBRAAP
01-26-2008, 07:59 PM
wait, so yours WILL run? well then, your a step ahead of me!! i have been using our booster box and running it between 30 AMP and 10 AMP and trying to start it on that much electricity. and now im thinking im just gonna go get the battery, and leave it on the charger over night on like 10 AMP and see if that makes a difference

STEVER925
01-26-2008, 09:03 PM
did you ckeck and make sure your plug was still good. I m sure mise is fouling out cause its about 15 degrees in new york right now and shes not jetted for that

BigBore24
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
sounds like u are charging enough at 13.2. I know u said you have a new battery but it sounds like its time to have it tested just to be safe. Also you might check that your starter solenoid is working correctly when the cables are off, sounds wierd but could be something funky with it. If you jump across it and it doesnt crank then id say yer battery is no good, at least that way you r eliminating the other electrical components.

400exBRAAP
01-26-2008, 10:10 PM
ya, i know what its like in NY, i live in lowville, about 2 hours north of you. does anyone have any idea whats up with my wheeler then?

STEVER925
01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
hey brapp do you do any racing?? where about do you ride? you got any part your looking to sell??

the Z Man
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Check your timing, if your of a tooth it can still run but dumping fuel in (giving iit gas) causes alot more compression.

400exBRAAP
01-27-2008, 05:34 PM
STEVE, the only sorta racing i would do is drag racing locally, i ride the tug hill area on occasion, but mostly just fields around my house, (we live, well lived on a farm) this year i will prolly do more tug hill cruising, sorry i aint got no parts to sell, my wheeler aint much of a mod monster.

Z man, my timing should be correct, i had it in the shop to get timed, so im sure its right, any other ideas?