PDA

View Full Version : got it running

400exBRAAP
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
i got my wheeler back from the shop tonight! when i put it together, the timing was off 2 teeth on the sprocket. but when i unloaded it, it had a dead battery, so i put it away, then went out a short while ago, and boosted it, and BRAAP, she is ALIVE!!

now, once i got it somewhat warm, i drove it around for a few minutes, nothing above 1/2 throttle with the exception of the burst of throttle every here and there. am i doing the break in correctly?

i put in a wiesco 11:1 compression piston in it, and a stage one hot cam.

i cant really feel a difference in power, but thats because there was lots of snow that i was driving on, so ever time the power came on, the tires would be spinning, so that makes sense that i didnt feel anything. but when i parked it and revved it a couple times, i did notice it just sounded meaner. idk how to explain it, it just was a much more tough sounding rumble compared to before i rebuilt it.

i cant wait for the snow to leave to really ride it out!!

maxfior
01-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Glad to hear you got your EX back, now just take it easy and don't blow it up. Over revving on snow and ice is a sure-fire way to screw up a break in. Just take it easy and vary the throttle amounts, which might be hard in cold, snowy weather. You might want to wait for a better day to do this... When I break in a motor I take it easy, vary speed and do not lug the engine. I also don't go past half throttle. For all the engines that I've built, 2 and 4 stroke, I've never had a problem. Also make sure that you change your oil right away, as you'll want to get out any castings or metal that might have been left over from your bore/ hone job. Good luck!

Max

BossmanEX
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Maybe this will help with your break in questions. Break in secrets (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm)

As far as the engine sounding alot meaner and deeper, Im sure it does. Youve made quite a mod there.

400exBRAAP
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
ya, i plan on changing the oil after the first tank of gas or so, maybe 1.5-2 tanks of gas through it, then the oil change, then call that broken in

BOSSMANEX- ive read that sight before. thanks for it tho. im just going to go with what ive read which is take it easy the first tank or two, then just let her rip, with an oil change between of course.

and yes i will probably wait for better weather, but it has been like 2 months since a ran this thing, and we all know how anxious we can get, so i just had to get on it a little bit, i was starting to pull my hair out!

nevadanotch
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't baby it! Run it like in the break in secrets BossmanEX posted. I do just about the same thing for my VW performance motors! I put 75,000 miles on a high performance air cooled 1776 VW motor in my 64 bug that was broke in hard.

BossmanEX
01-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Its your baby and you can break it in how you would like. I was given a link to that page here on this site and I studied it quite a bit before I actually applied the technique. i must say that I was sceptical at first but if you read the entire page you will find that quite a bit of science and testing went into that article. I also spoke with several members here on the forum that use that technique and swear by it. Since I was given that information I have rebuilt 3 atv engines and have used the technique to break them all in. they are all still running today and are not smoking, knocking or using oil.

TRXRacer1
01-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exBRAAP
ya, i plan on changing the oil after the first tank of gas or so, maybe 1.5-2 tanks of gas through it, then the oil change, then call that broken in By the time you burn 1/4 -1/2 of a tank of fuel it will be broke in. 1.5-2 tanks is major overkill!

400exBRAAP
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
ok, thats good then, because all i have in it is like a half or third of a tank of gas. so once that is run out i can call it broken in?

and wouldnt it be ok to be breakin it in using the "run it hard" technique in the winter time? because i willl have to be running it harder than usual to get through the snow right? just a thought

maxfior
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
ok, thats good then, because all i have in it is like a half or third of a tank of gas. so once that is run out i can call it broken in?

and wouldnt it be ok to be breakin it in using the "run it hard" technique in the winter time? because i willl have to be running it harder than usual to get through the snow right? just a thought

IDK, there still really isn't that much load being put on the engine when your tires are spinning like crazy in the slush and powder, it would be different if you were on hard pack, or even a sloppy mud hole! I would maybe wait for better conditions, just me though...

Max

Honda#4
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Take it down the road a few times.

400exBRAAP
01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
taking it down the road aint quite as easy as ya make think. i live on a main state road, so its VERY VERY risky, with cops and such, but i may take it down the cross road by our house a time or two, it all depends on how cold i am, im going to go see if it starts up right now

Honda#4
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I see, didn't know if you lived on a side road or not but yea if you live on a heavly traveled road I would'nt do it.

TRXRacer1
01-26-2008, 04:32 PM

and wouldnt it be ok to be breakin it in using the "run it hard" technique in the winter time? because i willl have to be running it harder than usual to get through the snow right? just a thought If it was just an new piston I'd say warm it up and you're done but a new cam should be given a little more time before you beat it. Just take it easy the best you can (meaning up and down in the RPM just not racing it) for the first half hour. After that do your thing! ;)

400exBRAAP
01-26-2008, 07:56 PM
ya, i cant right now, cuz now she dont wanna start for me. look at STEVER925's thread, and down a little ways i chimed in with my problems with it. its just getting annoying now