PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a stock 04/05 crank

blacknblue#2
01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
I bought an 04 450R today just to have for a trail bike, It has a bad rod bearing on the crank and i was wondering if anyone has a crank that is good where maybe they built a stroker or something. or can you just replace that rod bearing somehow??

400exrider707
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
I had my rod bearing go last winter myself. You can replace just the bearing if it didn't mess anything else up. My rod locked up on my crank, so I went with a new one, and to get the updated collar for the crank bearing. A new OEM Honda crank, rod, and one crank bearing with the updated collar is only about $193. Well worth it IMO.

JimmyHoffa
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
allright 400exrider707. I'm pretty sure that you've helped me before. I need two things finally answered for me. What is the bearing that is considered the "problem bearing" on the 1st gen 450r engines? I thought it was one of the main crank bearings, not the rod bearing. If it is the rod bearing, what the heck does that updated collar do to solve the problem? If anyone knows, they can feel free to explain, mechanically, how the collar on the main bearing keeps the rod bearing from checking out. I'd really like a full explanation.

Rich250RRacer
01-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I have one. I'll check clearance on it to make sure it's in spec, but it came out of a good running motor with no noise.

400exrider707
01-23-2008, 10:21 PM
I personally have never had a crank bearing go. I would say the rod bearing goes just as much as the crank bearings. More times than not it was actually the thrust washer that would deteriorate and then take out the bearing it was seated against. This new collar is supposed to hold the crank bearing in place better and prevent high speed wobble. Whether it helps nor not I dont know, but if Honda thought it was worth updating, I thought it was worth it to put it in. I haven't had any problems with mine since being rebuilt. When my rod bearing did go, it was being run very hard at max RPM's. I'm not sure if one bearing goes more than the other or not. I know the CRF motors have a roller bearing on one side and a ball bearing on the other. Our TRX motors are just the opposite. Honda put the roller bearing on the clutch side I believe, to take more of a "load" but in reality this motor needed roller bearings on both sides. I'm almost positive its the flywheel side bearing which is a ball bearing. When I rebuilt mine, I put a new crank, and both new crank bearings in. Ordering parts from service honda with a bunch of extra stuff it was under $350 for all, including all new honda OEM gaskets.

400exrider707
01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=263590

Excellent info on the subject courtesy of Chad502ex from DRG, thanks Chad.

d3ktrix
01-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I agree with 400exrider707, I have seen as many rod bearing failures as I have crank bearing failures on the forums.

Locally I have seen 1 of each happen to my riding partners.
Both on high hour / modded / raced engines.

blacknblue#2
01-24-2008, 06:08 AM
Rich250RRacer i pmed you