PDA

View Full Version : what i did this winter

400EXrider0713
01-23-2008, 06:04 PM
i got a k&n air filter with outerwears, removed the air box lid. i put a dynojet kit stage 2 on. and i put a slip on dr. d exhaust. I'm not going to get to ride it for a while. it is a 07 400ex. i'm getting excited about riding it. i'm just wondering what kind of difference there will be. the exhaust looks awesome and sounds awesome, so thats already a plus. if anyone else did something like this can you tell me what i should expect in the power increase. thanks

casey_lamm
01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
You will notice the difference. What size jets did you install? while you are waiting I would install a #42 pilot to help start it in cold weather. If jetted correctly, I think you will have a pretty good improvement. My guess would be low/mid end..but im not really familiar with that exhaust to tell you for sure.

If you really want to be blown away by the difference i would recommend looking into a stage 1 hotcam and a 11:1 stock bore piston.

I thought I was impressed with the improvements i made above...then i added the cam and piston and was floored by the results.

As for HP gain its really hard to tell...ive seen sites advertise anywhere between 3-10 for those type of mods...but the problem is many of the sites are quick to throw out numbers, but never back it up with dynos.

Good luck, make sure you keep that K&N clean.

BTW I put the KN powerlid on...i noticed some improvement there as well, but I don't think its worth the 120.00 after shipping...unless you just have cash to spend.

Originally posted by 400EXrider0713
i got a k&n air filter with outerwears, removed the air box lid. i put a dynojet kit stage 2 on. and i put a slip on dr. d exhaust. I'm not going to get to ride it for a while. it is a 07 400ex. i'm getting excited about riding it. i'm just wondering what kind of difference there will be. the exhaust looks awesome and sounds awesome, so thats already a plus. if anyone else did something like this can you tell me what i should expect in the power increase. thanks

400EXrider0713
01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
thanks for the advice with the pilot jet. it is so cold up here i haven't been able to get it started for a few weeks. as for the which main jet i installed, i installed the one the instructions with the dynojet kit said. i'm not realy sure what size it is. and as for the piston and hot cam. i'm thinking about a 416 kit with an 11:1 compression and a hot cam stage one. if i bought that them both and took them to a atv dealership would they install them. i had so much trouble with my exhaust i don't won't to start taking the motor apart.

oleboy87
01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
ya dont know what number was on the jet? lol there should have been some jetting recommendations with the pipe.. and yea you can get all that then bring it to a shop somewhere but they are going to charge you out the a** to do it... shops around here charge $75 an hour soo after its all said and done ya looking at close to $900.. but if you aren't manically inclined then i would bring it to the shop

casey_lamm
01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
i guess im lucky my shop charged 45.00 :)

Originally posted by oleboy87
ya dont know what number was on the jet? lol there should have been some jetting recommendations with the pipe.. and yea you can get all that then bring it to a shop somewhere but they are going to charge you out the a** to do it... shops around here charge $75 an hour soo after its all said and done ya looking at close to $900.. but if you aren't manically inclined then i would bring it to the shop

gcart2
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by casey_lamm
i guess im lucky my shop charged 45.00 :)

a local (very popular) shop areound here wanted 400 (roughly) to install cam. can u say bs.

casey_lamm
01-24-2008, 05:18 PM
when when i was pricing cams, piston, etc...

mine quoted

for Piston and cam install, parking brake plate, jetting, oil change, honing cylinder. i didn't think that was too bad really..
Originally posted by gcart2
a local (very popular) shop areound here wanted 400 (roughly) to install cam. can u say bs.

casey_lamm
01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
when when i was pricing cams, piston, etc...

mine quoted

for Piston and cam install, parking brake plate, jetting, oil change, honing cylinder. and 2 valve adjustments. i didn't think that was too bad really..
Originally posted by gcart2

400EXrider0713
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
$900? that's insane. how hard is it to do it all myself. i can get a mechanic that is my friend to help me. he used to work on cars.

oleboy87
01-24-2008, 10:06 PM
well it was jsut a guess but they do charge 75 an hour but idk how long it takes them to do it.. its much easier to do it yourself.. well alot easier on the ole wallet