PDA

View Full Version : top end ticks?

kawi_rider_97
01-23-2008, 05:34 PM
my kfx440 has been doing quite a bit of ticking, so i took the valve cover off and i noticed my timing chain felt a little loose could that be the problem? also how do i tighten it and how to i check my valve clerances?

ifixtheyride
01-24-2008, 04:40 PM
The KFX400 is notorious for the chain stretching buy a new one and get an aftermarket. The valve timing is checked at TDC of compression stroke if you have the valve cover off the lobes on the cam will be pointing away from each other at the 2"O" clock and 10"O"clock positions. The numbers on front of the cam sprokets will also line up with the horozontal portion of the head. Insert feeler gauge between cam lobe and valve and measure clearance. I think the intake valves should be around .006" and the exhaust around .010 or .011"I'm not 100% sure on the exhaust. setting the gap requires shims and if they are changing you more then likely are getting cupped valves 400 are known for that also.

kawi_rider_97
01-24-2008, 07:48 PM
thanks for the info, do you know how to take the chain out? can you do it without tearin the motor completely apart? thanks.

ifixtheyride
01-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Yes changing the chain in my opinion was a pain in the butt. You can almost do it without tearing to much down but almost don't count. You have to remove the clutch basket which requires tooling to hold it while you break the nut free then you also have to remove the head (jug). You can't get the chain off without removing the guide and the guide don't come off unless you remove the jug. I got a book and helps alot well worth money if your going to be doing maintanence on your own. I changed my chain them checked valve lash and found 2 that needed gapped I had to wait for shipping on the shims to set the gap cause no one stocked them in assortment. Two months later quad is hard to start so I checked compression and it is way off like 60psi instead of 140psi. I put oil into plug hole and compression came up so I ordered a Athena big bore for the fun of it. Well when I got it apart one of the valves I just set was off again. I took it to shop and sure enough bad valve as I have read through out these forums. I ordered Kible Whites and am waiting for the shop to finish.

Good luck!

ltz440rider
02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
i got and 04 ltz 400 with a 440 kis stock cam and mine ticks like crazy thats just how they sound i have never had a problem other wise its ticked since i bought it

soberagain150
02-04-2008, 09:00 PM
well, if its ticking, then that isnt really a good thing. valve clearances are key in those engines along with the stretching cam chain. if you have zero tolerance in your valves, your motors a ticking time bomb

johnafun
02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
though theyre known to have ticks. somtimes we have to hear the tick ourselfs. lest not forget i could be as simple as an exhaust leak in the header or an improperly torqued head. or could be as bad as a loose nut on a rod conector wich happened to me once.and we found the problem after the nut finally came loose and threw the rod through the crank shaft. good times good times.

ltz440rider
02-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Even after i blew the head gasket and had my motor pretty much rebuilt buy a suzuki dealer it still ticked im prettys sure there know for that.

quad97
02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
You don't have to remove the head or the cylinder to replace the timing chain. Just the cams, tensioner, clutch, and clutch cover.