PDA

View Full Version : anyone have problems with bolts backing out?

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
does anyone have problems with bolts backing out? I bought a bolt kit from fastenerguy off of ebay and the locknuts suck, worse $100 I spent on the quad so far, i already lost 6 of them from riding one day. I tightened the living hell out of them, but they still backed off. I didnt use any Loctite either but I am going to go back through all of them and put it on all of them. I almost lost my silencer earlier because the damn bolt I have for the rear silencer mount backed out and it slipped off my head pipe. Im kinda ranting but it just pisses me off that they are doing this and they are suppose to be "locknuts"

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by my88r
much better buying. honda bolts from a part out. you can find some steals. but for a 100 bucks those bolts should be made well.:grr:

very true, im about to just splurge and buy all the OEM bolts I can get my hands on. Even one of those backed out on my pro-pegs! I need some loctite....

Aceman
01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Yep, I've dropped my silencer twice because I forgot to use loctite.:rolleyes: Skidplate, radiator shroud, stator cover bolts have also came out.:o This is when I was first learning how much vibration these engines really have!:mad:

Use loctite on everything, I just don't use it on the case covers though. I fear I'll pull the aluminum threads out with the bolts.

You need some stainless steel nyloc nuts. I have several of these on my R and they work great. Even after they've been taken off and on a few times.

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Yep, I've dropped my silencer twice because I forgot to use loctite.:rolleyes: Skidplate, radiator shroud, stator cover bolts have also came out.:o This is when I was first learning how much vibration these engines really have!:mad:

Use loctite on everything, I just don't use it on the case covers though. I fear I'll pull the aluminum threads out with the bolts.

You need some stainless steel nyloc nuts. I have several of these on my R and they work great. Even after they've been taken off and on a few times.

thats the type of nuts that backed off, i bought the whole polished stainless steel kit off of ebay and its junk. Im really disappointed in the kit. Oh yea, and one of my a-arm locknuts fell off....

im going to buy some ,loctite, grade A bolts, and nuts tomorrow and redo the whole 4 wheeler. I need to check my motor mount bolts because I bet they are loose as hell or off also.

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
ill pick up both, thanks for the tip. I have a LONG day ahead of me tomorrow :( I have to get this thing ready to go riding friday

Aceman
01-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
thats the type of nuts that backed off, i bought the whole polished stainless steel kit off of ebay and its junk. Im really disappointed in the kit. Oh yea, and one of my a-arm locknuts fell off....

im going to buy some ,loctite, grade A bolts, and nuts tomorrow and redo the whole 4 wheeler. I need to check my motor mount bolts because I bet they are loose as hell or off also.

Are you using nyloc nuts(they have a nylon insert) or lock nuts(they have a punched dimple in the side)? I've never had a nyloc come off on me, you could try putting a lockwasher under it also.

I don't know how stainless bolts are graded but I do know stainless is considerably harder than steel. It wouldn't surprise me if those stainless bolts are still harder than a standard metric grade bolt.

mineralgrey01gt
01-23-2008, 05:15 PM
thats the exact ones I have. A few of them have stayed very tight and are still on their tight, but some of them backed off and fell off. Ill try to put a lockwasher underneath the others and hope they hold