PDA

View Full Version : Small Workshop Ideas

firefighterjosh
01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I am thinking of making a small workshop inside my barn. My barn is just a poll building.

I want something that I could fit 2 quads in. Something I can heat and AC. I also need to be able to fit tools, a bench and maybe a few cabinents.

How big do you suppose would be good?

It dosen't need to be anything special since it will stay dry due to being inside a building already. But I would like a small door (atleast 50 inches) I can lock to help keep threives away.

I was thinking of just a 2x4s and plywood for a shell. and Visqueen (sp?) to help insulate. But I am not sure on what to make a floor out of? I really don't want to use Cement bcause the price would be more then my shops worth lol.

So I was thiking plywood and 2x4s for a floor? Not sure how that work since the part of my barn I am putting this is gravel.

ideas, pic are welcome!:D

ZeroLogic
01-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Well, I'm a begginner framer, for myself, I'm building a 10'x10' shed during mid to late summer for my bike and to keep my tools in. For the floor, I'm going to be using either 2x8s or 2x10 preassure treated sticks. Then throw on 3/4 ply for the flooring. As for the framing, I'll be using 2x4 SPF studs, T1-11 for the exterior wall. I havn't figured out what to use for the inside walls yet. For the roof, I'll use either 2x8s for the rafters or 2x10s. I still have figuring out to do on that. Then throw on 1/2 inch ply for the roof with tar paper and shingels. Add some pine, doors and electric and I'll have a *****in shed.:devil:

For your floor frame, I'd stay away from SPF and use PT. Just so it don't rot out. Also use something bigger then 2x4s for the flooring. Your going to have a lot of weight to support.

firefighterjosh
01-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Thank, This is going to be inside a barn just needed to close up a space so I can heat and AC it.

But my barn does flood when it rains alot....as I figured out about a month ago.

So do you think 2x10s and ply wood will be a good floor?

BTW is there any kind of very tough paint I can put on the floor so its smooth? I don't need any splinters lol

ZeroLogic
01-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
Thank, This is going to be inside a barn just needed to close up a space so I can heat and AC it.

But my barn does flood when it rains alot....as I figured out about a month ago.

So do you think 2x10s and ply wood will be a good floor?

BTW is there any kind of very tough paint I can put on the floor so its smooth? I don't need any splinters lol

Ah so you like a room pretty much? If your building on gravel I'd go with 2x8s PT unless it really floods out high. Also try to make like a drainage system if you know what I mean. So all the water goes into one drain and right out of the barn. Kinda hard to explain.

firefighterjosh
01-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Ah so you like a room pretty much? If your building on gravel I'd go with 2x8s PT unless it really floods out high. Also try to make like a drainage system if you know what I mean. So all the water goes into one drain and right out of the barn. Kinda hard to explain.

Yup basically just a room.

Part of our barn is concrete and part is gravel. I am going to build on the gravel. But its the higher point of the barn.

I have seen it get about a foot high once in our barn. But it was crazy rain. I think we got 2 inches in 2 hours or something just nuts.

But when it just rain alot maybe get a inch in the barn. But it still rarely floods. Maybe once every couple years.

ZeroLogic
01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
2x8s should be fine. The only concern I'd have is that if your shed would sink into the gravel from the ground gettin wet and what not.

firefighterjosh
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
2x8s should be fine. The only concern I'd have is that if your shed would sink into the gravel from the ground gettin wet and what not.

Its pretty solid. There alot of clay under it.

ZeroLogic
01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
It should be fine then. Just make sure your building on a level ground or you'll have a ****load of problems.:chinese:

firefighterjosh
01-23-2008, 07:32 PM
It should be fine then. Just make sure your building on a level ground or you'll have a ****load of problems.:chinese:

Ya I plan on building it in the corner of the barn so I have the corner of the barn to help me.

ZeroLogic
01-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Yea, I was going to say build it in a corner so you have two walls already done.:p Hit me up if you need anymore help. I'm just a beginner framer so I don't know everything in the book, but I've built quite a few sheds ontop of additions and screen-in porches/decks.:macho

300exOH
01-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not sure how much space you have but I have a 16x16 pole building that would make a great sized storage/workshop area for quads. Anything much smaller would be cramped unless you are willing to roll one quad out while you work. If you raise your workspace on something it will help with any water issues. You could maybe use the concrete "pill' type footers that you can get at home centers. They are usually used to drop into a hole for treated posts for decks and such. They might make a great foundation for your flooring plus raise it up a bit. Then 2X6's or 2x8's on top of that plus some good subflooring. Some good grade 1/2" or 5/8 plywood would work. Then you can paint it with a good enamel and it should hold up well. Your local paint shop should be able to help you with the most durable floor paint. You could even put Herculiner or spray bedliner for a really durable floor. Then just build some insulated walls on top of the "deck" portion you built and your set. Some T1-11 on the inside or even peg board would be nice too.

Rootar
01-24-2008, 05:52 AM
im gonnna be different here and suggest gettting one of the premade building like at lowes or homedepot, you can get them in a 20x10 with and 5 foot wide garage type door on on end, if it didnt come with a door on the side then you could easliy add one. then all you have to do is insulate and board the walls and ceialing, run your electrical, and building you and work bench on the end opposite the garage type door.

the quads would pull in there long ways i yes there is planty of room to work on either side

i do all my work in a 16 foot pace trailer that has cabinets at the front i so really only have 14 feet of floor space with two quads in there at all times.....it does get a little cramped, we have a 20x10 behind our shop but im not allowed to use it lol.

mod440ex
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
why dont you just put in your own concrete floor we made a 10'x10' dog kennal for like $150. Go to like your local rent store and see if they have a concrete mixer you can rent and you can probably do something for under 500 depending on how big you want to make it.

firefighterjosh
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I think I got a good idea of what I am going to do...I will make a thread when I start the process.

Thanks all

firefighterjosh
01-24-2008, 12:45 PM
I think I got a good idea of what I am going to do...I will make a thread when I start the process.

Thanks all