PDA

View Full Version : becoming an atv mechanic??

sideways
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I have been looking over things lately, and decided on a career change. (while i'm young enough to do it.) currently, i am a carpenter, but i have always been a backyard mechanic, and do most of my vehicle repairs, and atv repairs, myself. my main goal is to become some sort of atv/dirtbike/motorcycle mechanic, with a main focus on atv's/dirbikes.
Anyone here do anything along those lines? if so, where did you learn the skills you needed?
Does anyone know of (or can reccomend) any schools that offer a program for this?

TrapZ400
01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
motorcycle mechanics institute
http://www.uti.edu/Motorcycle/tabid/59/Default.aspx

PowerSport Institute at ohio tech
http://www.psi-now.com/

Check with some of the local community colleges around your area some of them may offer an atv/motorcycle repair course.

Which 450?
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Ive never been schooled, but there is nothing I cant handle except machine work, being that I dont have access to a machine shop. To be a good mechanic, its not what you already know, its how fast you can figure it out.

my88r
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
years of experience is what will make you successful in this field. :devious:

d3ktrix
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
its not what you already know, its how fast you can figure it out.

Words to live by.

sideways
01-24-2008, 06:00 AM
thanks for the replies. i have already done some research on mmi and psi, however they are too far away from home, and i can not get away for the year i need to complete the course. i did find a school in ct that offers the program, and i am researching them as well.

i was looking for someone who has made a career in this field to give me their input. i.e. how helpful the course was, what cert's they have, and how the school placed them at the end of the program. also, what the possibilities are for working for a large manufatcturer such as honda or yamaha?

nh591
01-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Joe Byrds mechanic is a MMI graduate

my88r
01-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by sideways
how the school placed them at the end of the program. also, what the possibilities are for working for a large manufatcturer such as honda or yamaha?

i would say theres a slim chance of getting a factory job. you might be able to get a job at a new shop starting out.with salaries in the 20,000. i would say stick with carpentry.:D

1fastR
01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i would say theres a slim chance of getting a factory job. you might be able to get a job at a new shop starting out.with salaries in the 20,000. i would say stick with carpentry.:D

what he said, its just a regular job, work on old junk all day and do warrenty work on new machines that doesnt pay out jack.

and you have to be fast with quality work for no comebacks, you will not be payed twice for the same job

Quad18star
01-24-2008, 07:49 PM
I've worked at dealerships and I currently work at a dealership , and let me tell you this .... there's no money to be made as a motorcycle or ATV mechanic. I mean the mechanics I've seen have spent years doing this job , have went to tarde school and all , and they're lucky to make $25 000 a year , PLUS they have to supply their own tools.

If you want to work for companies like Honda or Yamaha ( in their plants) , you have to become an Engineer . Engineers design the machines , them set up an assembly line ..... and it doesn't take a degree or much experience to get on those assembly lines.

Turboderf
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
well i worked for toyota & lexus for 20 as a mechanic and for the past 6 year i work for myself. i was able to work for car dealers and they send you for training and it takes afew year to get good and you work on some junks sometimes is pays good but warranty work sucks dont pay as well the name of the is to beat the clock (book time) yes you will need you own tools where you make your money is side work good luck if you have a dream go for it